Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A new ball of wax.

A new ball of wax. 3 months 2 weeks ago #71590

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 492
For the few who have popped into the saltwater section here, you probably know that I've been flip flopping back and forth between starting a salt tank back up. It's been on my mind a lot lately and strangely enough, last night I had a bit of an epiphany. Why not do a FO tank? For the past several years the only thing that had entered my thought process was a reef tank. Which, while appealing, has its draw backs. Price, paraphernalia, time commitment... A Fish only tank could serve as something equally as interesting but a lot less expensive (maybe) and just less maintenance in general (I think).

If I did a Fish only tank, it would be as follows. 75g tank with probably two or three good sized power heads, Marineland C360 canister for additional filtration. Maybe a Current Sat+ marine led. I would probably want a pump for water changes... that is I would have large Rubbermaid container sitting next to the tank, something hardy around the 15-20ish gallons range - maybe a cooler would work too - that I would use to mix the salt in and get water temp up to a match. Obviously I'm not going to lift that and dump it into the tank, so a pump with some vinyl tubing would be nice to have so I can just plug it in and pump into the tank. And that's it. That's literally all the equipment I would need. So new I would need -

www.bulkreefsupply.com/hydor-koralia-evolution-850gph.html 2 Koralia 850's 90.00
www.bulkreefsupply.com/aragonite-fiji-pi...-40lbs-caribsea.html 55lbs reef saver rock, 80lbs Fiji sand - 253.00
www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/aq...powerhead-pumps.html Marineland maxijet 1200 26.00.
www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_disp...4+36148&pcatid=36148 Finnex marine LED 140.00

Total 509.00 before fish.... Well, I guess I'm not really going to be saving a whole lot of money going this route...
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A new ball of wax. 3 months 2 weeks ago #71591

• JakeB
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
Great idea and good luck. I kept an aggressive FOWLR tank in the past and loved it. I think that's why when I switched it to a freshwater tank I went the oscar route.
Tank: Display 450 g; 2.5 ft tall and deep by 9 ft long with 100g sump

zebra oscar x 1
red severum x 1
green severum x 1
convict cichlid x 1
tin foil barbs x 4
featherfin cat x 1

A new ball of wax. 3 months 2 weeks ago #71602

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Yeah I'm leaning back towards the 40g reef option. Might as well use the 400 dollar skimmer I have sitting in the basement, and drill the tank, get a sump going and have a setup for a coral tank should I go that direction in the future. A FO tank would probably be a lot less stressful (maybe) but it just doesn't quite make as much sense knowing I'd be spending almost as much money, but utilizing less of my equipment.

A new ball of wax. 3 months 2 weeks ago #71605

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
i was reading up again on sea horses, and have an extra 56 tall...

scary part... everything i read says... plan on never taking a vacation....

ive never done salt, but the look is tempting...
180 oscar/silver $$s/pleco
75 female JD
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-

A new ball of wax. 3 months 2 weeks ago #71613

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
I lean more and more every day towards doing the salt tank. I'd love to pull a bunch of your fresh water guys over into the marine world. It's incredible. Nothing against oscars or other big CA/s and SA/s but salt is just different.

I will keep a detailed journal up when I get going and you guys that have some interest will hopefully be swayed to make the jump over.

A new ball of wax. 3 months 2 weeks ago #71620

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
whats a good starter size?

i have an extra 29, 56 and 75..

i started reading up. there is a ton difference..may down size a few tanks.. not really interested in plants, but the coral and fish look amazing
180 oscar/silver $$s/pleco
75 female JD
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-

A new ball of wax. 3 months 2 weeks ago #71621

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
My first salt Tank was a 29 gallon. Most veterans seem to recommend around 55 gallons as a good beginner tank. This is definitely more forgiving than starting with a 10 gallon however it will cost you more upfront to get off the ground. I think around 30 gallons is a good start personally.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds