Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: (URGENT) Oscar Needs Help

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 month 2 days ago #72380

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Today I turned on my O's tank too see his bottom right fin completely obliterated.

I instinctively thought FIN ROT because it was ragged, but there's barely anything left.

Just yesterday, Not 24 hours ago, this fin was perfectly fine with a couple chips just like when I got him.

Is fin rot this quick? Please help I've already lost two cichlids this suddenly before.

I will have pics by friday. Thank you and good night...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 month 2 days ago #72381

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 5
No other fish in the tank correct? Are there any blades that could have cut it like from a filter or powerhead? Do you see any remnants of the fin anywhere in the tank? Is the Oscar acting sad/ different than normal? Start medicating right away with Melafix and Premafix if you think it's fin rot. Make sure to do some big water changes and remove all activated carbon if you had any. More experienced members can diagnose what the actual problem is with the pictures.

Best of luck with your Oscar,

- Aquamoo

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 month 1 day ago #72383

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
I've never heard of fin rot acting so quickly. Can you test water parameters? Other tank mates?
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 month 1 day ago #72385

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
No other tank mates as the tank is considered overstocked with just him.

I checked him just now and he's in the same condition. I'll let you know if this happens to his other fins as well.

Water parameters will be posted soon as well as pics.
Water change will follow. Should i do 25 or 50%?

EDIT: Sorry Aquamoo, I missed you're comment. No, there are no blades, just 2 filter intakes and a bubbler. I'll show a full tank shot for you.

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 1 month 1 day ago #72386

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
PICS: www.instagram.com/p/Bp7_terhTyX/?utm_sou...&igshid=bszeniz35kwg

Well, you see Imgur and photobucket werent working out too well. So Hopefully this account I just made will do the trick.

And please do excuse me for the clarity. The tank didn't get it's water change yet. Plus I still need to clean the outside a bit, too.

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 4 weeks 1 day ago #72388

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 219
I think your description of completely obliterated is a bit much,lol. From the pics provided, I dont see much of an issue at all? Fin flesh will regenerate, the spines wont. For your Oscars long term health, and I am pretty sure you are aware, a bigger tank is past due. Oscar is a fish that doesnt respond well to cramped spaces. Stress related health issues can occur. As for water changes, there is no limit. Daily if you want. 80% per change if you want. You cant do too much but its real easy to do too little
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 4 weeks 1 day ago #72390

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Yes, sometimes I overreact when I notice an imperfection. I'm just worried this might spread? It hasn't yet and I'm not sure what caused it in such a short time period.

Water parameters:
PH: 7.6
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm

The API freshwater test kit doesn't come with GH or KH. Is this as important?

I have enough room for a custom 4.5x2x2.5ft which should be around 125 gallons.
I think I could build a plywood tank at these dimensions under $1,000 easily.... Including plumbing.

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 4 weeks 1 day ago #72392

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
GH and KH are important... but you shouldnt be reading zero nitrate. You can build a plywood tank for a lot less than a grand, you can also buy a glass 120, 4x2x2 for probably 400 bucks. With a warranty! Looks like you have an FX filter... 4 or 6? That plus a couple of Aquaclear 110 hobs, and Oscar is good for life.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 4 weeks 1 day ago #72393

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
Just another bit of FYI... a 30in tall tank is very difficult for average /smaller folks to reach the bottom. I am an average, I guess, 5ft 10in male with an average wingspan. I can just barely, on a stepstool, fingertip touch the bottom of a 30in tall tank. Pick something off the bottom, I need BBQ tongs!

(URGENT) Oscar Needs Help 4 weeks 1 day ago #72394

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Lol. I guess you're right about the height. I dont want to be swimming with him :lol:
If I go DIY it'll probably be 22-26in. It depends on the stand.

Yeah, it's an fx4.

Yes, I dont like how the same numbers pop up everytime I do water changes.
I used to use strips but changed to liquid testing... Nonetheless I was using test strips when I was cycling the tank. Soon afterward is when I switched. So I think there's either something wrong with the water or the tester. Don't get me wrong, I use the liquid kit EXACTly how it says I should.

Same numbers though... Cycling mistake?
Linked with O's condition?
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds