Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Oscar isnt eating

My Oscar isnt eating 4 months 2 days ago #71819

• Sid87Crosby
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks for all the tips! This is exactly happening in my tank. We cleaned it out and moved things around and he/she has been pouting on the ground and hiding. He hasn't eaten in a few days and we were worried he was getting bullied by the other fish. Bad news is while I was doing research I have the tank set up wrong for an oscar. He is prob close to 12 inches (Big eater) and I have 4 cichlids in the tank plus a bottom feeder. I don't want to get another tank for just him....do you think he will be ok? We have had him for going on 9 months or so.

Thanks in advance!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My Oscar isnt eating 4 months 2 days ago #71820

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
Assuming the Oscar and other five occupants are getting along with one another, your primary issue you have to manage will be nitrate levels. A 75g tank is on the tight side for an Oscar that's the sole occupant in the tank. A tank with an oscar, a pleco (assuming that's the type of bottom feeder you have) and four other fish will have nitrate levels that will harm the Oscar over the long term. How quickly "long term" comes around will in large part how high the nitrate levels are.

The general consensus is nitrate readings of 20ppm or lower will enable an Oscar to maximize it's lifespan. I suspect your nitrates levels are well above 20ppm after 2-3 days?

FYI....I don't believe a 125g will be adequate to effectively manage nitrate levels given your current stocking load. As always, use facts and data before making a decision. I suggest buy an API nitrate test kit (~$10) to test your water and determine how high the nitrate load is. That said, I suspect the recommendation will be to rehome most of the fish or get a much larger tank.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds