Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 400 gallon tank

400 gallon tank 3 months 3 weeks ago #71562

• William5023
  • Poecilia reticulata
Many years ago I was a member of this forum with a name and login I can't remember. I used to have one oscar and a pleco in a 100 gallon tank. Its been about 8 years since I have had an aquarium. I am currently working on plans to build a 400 gallon tank in my living room. Considering I am out of practice and don't remember as much as what I wish I did so I have a few questions. I plan to build this tank for oscars, plecos, raphael catfish, and/or pictus catfish. Based on the fish I would like to stock with how many fish can I stock? What fish off my list are the most compatible? Can you think of better tank mates for oscars in a tank this size? If you had or have had 400 gallons to work with what would or did you do?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

400 gallon tank 3 months 3 weeks ago #71563

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 438
It depends on the Tank diameters, the number of fgallons can't be generalized.

For Oscar tank mates, the size also do not matter that much but the aggression level. Astronotus is not a aggressive or dominant fish and they depend to sulk with more dominant and aggressive species around.

For example Astronotus with a the smallest species of Cichla/Peacocks (of course only in an propper sized tank) works fine while Cichla is maybe a very big species but not aggressive, Astronots with Mesoheros festae (red Terror) at the other hand will get murdered.

The save way is to let your Oscars be the tank bosses, stock with species they can't eat br also don't would challage them. Heros, Mesonautra, Geophagus, green Acaras, Erythrinus Wolf tetra, Silver dollars, headstanders, fancy plecos in the 8 to 14" region ( not the poop submarines).

Of course this is just my personal taste but for me also big tanks with to many species don't look that good, especially in a living room tank you want an astetical tank.

In the case the 400 are something in the 8 x 2.5 to 3 feet in footprint i would go

For a 6 to 8 group of Geophagus like G. sveni
A group of Mesonatura, depending on Tank size maybe 6 to 10 fish.
1/1 Oscars
2 to 4 L114, red brunos or other mid size plecos.

The Geophagus are bottom fish while the flag cichlids and Oscars are very active swimmers that will use the while tank.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

400 gallon tank 3 months 3 weeks ago #71564

• William5023
  • Poecilia reticulata
Dimensions are 80"wide 24" high and 44" deep. According to several calculators that puts it at roughly 366 gallons. I rounded up for the initial post.

400 gallon tank 3 months 3 weeks ago #71565

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice but still not so much footprint for a 400G tank. I would still go for like 10 Flag cichlids, 2 Oscars and a small group of Geos but would avoid plecos.

With this stock you would have an very active tank.

400 gallon tank 3 months 3 weeks ago #71566

• William5023
  • Poecilia reticulata
I kinda like that idea. Why would you avoid a pleco?

400 gallon tank 3 months 3 weeks ago #71567

• bloodmourn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
William5023 wrote:
I kinda like that idea. Why would you avoid a pleco?

Why do you want a pleco? To eat scraps? Or because you like the look of a pleco?

400 gallon tank 3 months 3 weeks ago #71568

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
I would avoid another bottom fish for the benefit of the Geophagus. Like said. Your tank is big but for it's number of gallons you don't have alot of footprint. And 6 to 8, 7 to 8" bottom fish need some space but a single pleco should also still work fine if you give him one or two caves.

Important in such stockings os to get the dominant fish last and also very small. In this constelation your Oscars should get used very easy to the other stock. The other way around will mostly be chased, bullied or try to get eaten. Also Oscars depend to outgrow other fish very fast.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds