Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oscar Vomit??

Oscar Vomit?? 2 weeks 15 hours ago #71559

• madhatter6907
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 1
So, I fed my oscar some cut up pieces of earthworm last night and this morning all the pieces he ate plus a lot of food had been vomited up and was all over the bottom of the tank. Is this any reason for concern or do they just do this sometimes?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar Vomit?? 2 weeks 11 hours ago #71560

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 429
Did you see him vomiting or just found the stuff in the morning at the tank floor?

Worms and insects can be hard for fish to digest. Especialy Insects with cihtin hulls often leaves the fish like it entered him so mostly unharmed.

For earthworms. You have to be careful. Earthworms and nightcrawlers can hold maybe something in there digest System that the fish maybe brought to vomiting them back up, if you feed them keep them before a couple of days with some off the table veggies or fruit to clean them up, I mostly used peeled carrot or apple scale for that, Worms love that stuff to eat.
This mostly known as fishing baits also gets collected in different ways. Some get mass breeded in steril envirements but also some gets wild collected by flooding them out of there hiding spots with some nasty stuff like different bleaches or other chemicals.

I would them feed only if I know that they come from an organic substrat and not getting collected with soap, bleach or what ever else.

If something like this happens vac the stuff out the tank, do an extra water change and keep your Oscar for one or two days a little short on food.
If he stays hungry and go aggressive for the offered food you should be fine.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar Vomit?? 2 weeks 11 hours ago #71561

• madhatter6907
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 1
Ok, thanks toom. I did not see him actually vomit, just found all the pieces on the bottom of the tank. The worms we bought were from a bait shop, didn’t even know that was how they harvested bait worms. I will definitely not be feeding him anymore of those! I cleaned up all the pieces and did about a 20% water change. He seems to be fine, but I’m gna do what you said and go light in his food for a couple days, just to be sure he is all good.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds