Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Position for wave maker???

Position for wave maker??? 3 months 3 weeks ago #71541

• madhatter6907
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
How is the best way to position a wave maker in my tank? I just got one o help keep all the poop and debris flowing towards the filter instead of just sitting on he bottom but I don’t know the best way to position it. Also, should I leave it on all the time, or turn it off at night?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Position for wave maker??? 3 months 3 weeks ago #71542

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 438
Depends on tank size and how much Gph the wave maker does.
Lets say a 660Gph one in an 4 to 5 feet tank should be on the same side as the Filtration inline in the lower 1/3 of the tank pointing upwards to the surface so that the mid section on the tank has visable circulation.

But this is only one Option. The perfect position has many factors from tank size, filtration, stocking and so on. You have to pay a bit with it by yourself.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Position for wave maker??? 3 months 3 weeks ago #71543

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 492
I would just run the wave maker in the tank and adjust it as needed. You'll be able to see the flow and figure out which direction you need to adjust it after a day or so.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Position for wave maker??? 3 months 3 weeks ago #71544

• madhatter6907
Ok, I will put it in and just adjust it as needed. So, is it ok to leave it running 24/7 or does it need to be switched off at night? I think I have decided on upgrading to a 90 gallon, seems logical since it’s the same footprint as a 75 gallon, but just taller. And should give the little guy plenty of room to grow!

Position for wave maker??? 3 months 3 weeks ago #71545

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
You can leave it on. No problem there.

Position for wave maker??? 3 months 3 weeks ago #71548

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 212
I'll offer a different opinion, and I stress its just an opinion. Not necessary in a 4ft tank. Your filtration will offer plenty of water movement. I also wonder sometimes if folks rely on these things too heavily to move waste. I personally don't want fish waste, in particular giant Oscar turds in my filters. Out of sight out of mind may be visually acceptable, but a filter full of fish waste is not removing toxins from the water column. Will turn your filter into more of a nitrate bomb than a cleaner. So, sure, you can clean the filter more often, but imo its far easier, more efficient to do a thorough substrate vac at each water change. Waste gone, water clean, filters keep rollin along. There is also a theory, and I know of one custom tank manufacturer that will void warranty because of, that says wavemakers are stressful to the integral structure of the aquarium.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Position for wave maker??? 3 months 3 weeks ago #71550

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 438
Northstar, there is no Chance a fish turd will survive several days in water unharmed without decomposing or getting chewed. 80% of it ends in the Filtration anyways.

I argee, in many cases a WM is not needed, there should be a need for it like
A: If you keep fish that prefer a decent sized current
B: If you need to disturb dead corners in your tank.

But especially in tanks with dirty fish you have more advantages as the other way around. A WM increase the effectivity of your filtration, mechanical while waste gets more turnovers per hour as without. It's like sitting in a car with two windows open while standing on a parkinglot and two Windows open while driving 40 mph. Another advantage is the higher oxygen exchange what provides a better biological filtration.

I beleave you in the tank manufacturer thing but what is about Marine tanks? A Wave maker if not several ones are essential and in the most cases in fresh water it at least not harm.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Position for wave maker??? 3 months 3 weeks ago #71554

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 212
Good points made toom. As for Marine tanks, yeah how about that? The manufacturer I speak of makes some big tanks, 10-12 footers. Although warranty is only 1 year, so buyers are likely not too concerned with using WM over the long haul.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Position for wave maker??? 3 months 3 weeks ago #71557

• madhatter6907
So, my filter intake is on the back left corner or my tank. I put the wave maker on the the front right corner near the bottom of the tank and have it angled slightly upwards. My Oscar seems to love it! He comes to the front of the tank and enjoys swimming against the current that it makes everything so much more lively now, before the tank was so stagnant. I have actually put my tetra whisper 40 hob filter back on my tank as well as having my SunSun 302. I figure having the extra filtration can’t hurt.

Position for wave maker??? 3 months 3 weeks ago #71558

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Definitely can't hurt. Especially with an oscar in the tank. :)
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds