Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sump Help

Sump Help 2 months 6 days ago #71470

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 210
Sump system is a superior bio filter, that's well known. They are however, more popular on much larger tanks. A 125 is really not a large cichlid tank, and imho doesn't require a sump. If you already had one, fully equipped, plumbed and ready to go, by all means use it. You may go thru more work and expense turning the 55 into a viable filter than its really worth. An efficient medium sized canister, and a pair of Aquaclear 110 hobs will handle a 125 for life. Quiet, reliable, unlikely to ever give you probs. Certainly wont ever run dry or overflow. Sell the 55 to aid in the expense? Keep the 55 for hospital/emergencies? Something to consider?
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sump Help 2 months 6 days ago #71471

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 485

Ok so this is a very old thread - its from back when I started my very first sump and it's rudimentary and not very organized, but it goes through just about everything from overflows/overflow boxes, to tubing, to return pumps to overflow failsafes to DIY sump baffles and just about everything inbetween.

All this remembered (I just reread the thread myself) I think what North is saying definitely needs to be considered. But if you are truly wanting to set up a sump system for the tank, the experience and knowledge gained is worth the effort IME.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Sump Help 2 months 5 days ago #71476

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 429
Another alternative would be an propper internal filter like we do it in europe.
Especialy for bigger cichlid tanks we build our tanks different.

We choose a larger tank and build an internal sump. For example. You want to place an 220 G so you by an 240 and build an propper 20G internal sump on one side in the back or ever the while deep and 7 to 8 inches of the length.

Advantages are

+No risk of leaks
+Less heat lost
+Less power useage for Pumps. You can basicly run the Media capacity of an close to two Eheim 2080 with the flow an an FX6 on the power use of around 10 to 15 Watts compared to 42.

-You lose a bit of tank space
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds