Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oscar won’t come up to eat

Oscar won’t come up to eat 6 months 1 week ago #71409

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 492
No problem. Questions are what we are here for. Fire away!

You can post pictures by joining a host website and then copying the link to our website. I use www.imgur.com. It's free to join. Upload your desired pics to imgur and then copy and paste the link, or url into the text box here.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar won’t come up to eat 6 months 1 week ago #71411

• madhatter6907
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
i.imgur.com/ZbrL7iF.jpg
i.imgur.com/jGyA0Uo.jpg
i.imgur.com/TcjaMFi.jpg

Ok, here’s a few pics of the tank and Thor, this tank and fish setup was my 10 year old sons Christmas present. He is obsessed with fish!

Oscar won’t come up to eat 6 months 1 week ago #71412

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 492
Very nice!
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Oscar won’t come up to eat 6 months 1 week ago #71414

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
Fun!! He's a little dude isn't he? I've also got a 2 year old albino. Knock on wood, mine has never been stubborn with his diet with the exception of he wouldn't eat cod about a year ago. He couldn't get it in his mouth fast enough but would come back out just as fast once he realized what it was. He's always voraciously taken shrimp and tilapia but not cod....go figure.

He also didn't seem overly impressed with oranges when I first introduced them but after 2-3 days of the "that's all you're going to get" treatment, he's taken them fine ever since.

Vary your little guy's diet. IMO, there's no place better on the internet than this site for fish dietary information. There are a goodly amount of articles on here where you can learn a ton of great info.

Oscar won’t come up to eat 6 months 1 week ago #71416

• madhatter6907
Yea, he’s pretty small! He is pretty picky apparently! He finally went up and took a pellet a little while ago, and then spit it out immediately! He will get the picture once he realizes that’s all he’s gna get for now, haha. I am super glad I found this site, you guys have all been so helpful. I didn’t realize they would eat fruit! That’s awesome!

Oscar won’t come up to eat 6 months 1 week ago #71417

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
What grain size pellet do you feed atm? For this little guy 2 mm should be done. Also at least for my observations, Albinos don't like to feed on the surface, most likley for there bad eye sight compared to there normal colored species mates. Also for such a small fish there is still a little less decoration in the tank. He will come out much more with an bigger Ornament inside that goes from bottom to the top.
In smaller tanks this will of course be more temporary but try one or two big fake plants like fake Vallisneria. He will also outgrow that barrel so that you need to find something different.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar won’t come up to eat 6 months 1 week ago #71424

• madhatter6907
The pellet I have now is 3 mm. If the albinos don’t like to come to the surface because of their eyesight, what food would you recommend? The stuff I have now is Hikari Cichlid Gold mini pellets. Yea, the barrel will definitely have to go eventually, my son just wanted him to have a hiding spot, haha. So, having more tall plants will make him feel more secure and come out more? I will definitely do that if that’s the case

Oscar won’t come up to eat 6 months 1 week ago #71429

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
The fish do not really care for the object itself bit for the cover it provide.
A fake Vallisneria at least is safe because it is fairly big, flexible and it will maybe last long term unlike a big piece of driftwood. For this you need an larger tank.

The side is full with food Info also i am from europe and our shelfs and online stores have different Brands as avaible in northern america.
I only give you the advice to buy the smaller containers and mix the food so that your fish don't gets attached to only one Brand of food.
I also like to feed mini sturgen pellets for fish with heavy energy use and growth.

For the Light, if you don't have live plants you don't need a strong light in your tank exept you want to grow alga.

Also like said Albinos don't like bright light as Oscars at all, they are a fish from south america that often hides in the branches of flooded rain forests or sunken trees.

You can maybe play a bit with different light setting like creating a shadow Zone in the tank with Led beams.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar won’t come up to eat 6 months 1 week ago #71432

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 214
I have never really noticed that my Albino/Lutinos are surface shy so to speak, but yes indeed they are very light sensitive. Eating fruit is a huge bonus, Vitamin C is a critical part of Oscars diet. Try some freeze dried treats, krill, shrimp, tubifex worms. Some raw fish from the grocery store. Tilapia and cod are cheap. Shrimp not so much, but if you wanna splurge, Oscar should like it. Veg content is also very important. There are veg based pellets available. NLS Algaemax, Northfin Veg formula or kelp wafers. Wafers are very big, just crumble them up.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Oscar won’t come up to eat 6 months 1 week ago #71435

• madhatter6907
So how do you feed them oranges? Just put a while slice in and let him nibble? Or break it up into little pieces?
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds