Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oscar Needs Help

Oscar Needs Help 9 months 2 weeks ago #71371

• SumpErson
  • Poecilia reticulata
I have a 6 year old Oscar. She is in a 75G tank that holds about 80 some odd gallons of water. I use carbon a few times a year, but go carbonless most of the time. She was the smallest Oscar in the tank when we got her at Petco. I know, the smallest fish at petco is a bad idea, but the kids picked her. She only eats pellets, but when she was 2 we gave her a few dozen pinkies because she was just too small. She is now around 13”. Since she was about 6” she always had a red vein or blood streak in her right clear fin. I never thought anything of it because it didn’t look like a diseas or illness. Over the years, it got bigger. Recently, I neglected cleaning the tank for a while and it got bigger. Then after the last water change, the fin sort of eroded at the edges and is now healing. But the streak that had gotten bigger over the years turned black and might be cancer. The swelling went down the last 3 to 4 days, but I think she needs medication. But I don’t know what she has or what to use??? I have a picture, but I can’t figure out how to upload it? Any suggestions will help. I’ve kept Oscars for over 25 years and other fish before that. I’ve never seen anything like this. I know, she did get some pitting around her nose from the water recently, and it’s visible in the picture I’d like to post, but I was very busy over the last few weeks. She does not look like she’s dying, but it looks like an illness now. Maybe it’s infected??? I don’t know???
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar Needs Help 9 months 2 weeks ago #71373

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 493
Pictures will definitely be helpful. You can use a picture hosting website like photo bucket or snap fish to upload your pictures. Then copy the link or URL and paste it into a post here. This is our picture posting tutorial.www.oscarfish.com/forum/photo-chat-forum...-tutuorial-2012.html
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Oscar Needs Help 9 months 2 weeks ago #71374

• SumpErson
  • Poecilia reticulata
I have the pictures on my iPad at home. Will post tonight when I get home. It is a black bubble like tumor that is about the size of a dime around and around 1/8th to 1/4 inch thick and bubble like. But it now has three blisterlike bubbles on it. It was like a blood spot for the last about 5 years that was slowly getting bigger and only looks like a tumor recently.

Oscar Needs Help 9 months 2 weeks ago #71377

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
What is your water change schedule and amount changed? Anything else in this 75g with the oscar?

For what it's worth, I keep an oscar and a green severum in a 75g. I can maintain <20ppm nitrates with one weekly ~80% water change, but I feed sparingly 5days/week and have a pothos plant growing out of this tank.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Oscar Needs Help 9 months 2 weeks ago #71379

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
Regarding posting pictures on this site. Photobucket no longer seems to be a viable option due to there charging for hosting services. Someone here turned me onto Imgur.....a free photo hosting service that is perfect to share pictures on message boards like this.

I've found it easy to upload and store pictures on Imgur along with getting the links to post images onto message boards so the picture shows inside the thread.
  • Create an account on Imgur
  • Upload your picture(s) to Imgur
  • Copy the BBCode text associated with the image you want to post
  • Paste the BBCode text you copied from the Imgur site...be sure the code contains the and tags at the ends of your BBCode you copied from the Imgur site

You should be good to go!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ~rush~

Oscar Needs Help 9 months 2 weeks ago #71381

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Thanks for the updated info, lol. I even use imgur, but haven't used it in quite a while.

Oscar Needs Help 9 months 2 weeks ago #71391

• SumpErson
  • Poecilia reticulata
Sorry for the delay, wound up overly busy. I do 50 to 75% water changes every 2 weeks, this time I let it go about 5 weeks. But tests were all normal. With nitrates barely turning the liquid yellow/orange. She is alone in the tank and about 12-13”

I have not had an abnormal ammonia, nitrites, nitrates test in years—but you can see the burning on the edge of her fin, which is healing in the picture. So something harmful has to be in the water, but the burning on the edge of the fin actually got worse the day after the water change.

I think it might be cancer with an infection, but I don’t know. Never seen anything like this???

...I know the nose burn is bad and yes it is from not changing the water, even with tests that are good, totally my fault......

Oscar Needs Help 9 months 2 weeks ago #71392

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 89
Can you check the use by date on your test kit? Nitrate reading should be much higher with your current water change schedule.
It looks like your Oscar gas been exposed to poor water quality for a while.
What liquid test kit are you using?
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Oscar Needs Help 9 months 1 week ago #71394

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
For the fin thing, your fish has a hardcore Version of this.

Most likley a light fungal infection that caused a unpropper healing with a kind of wrong regrow. It's mostly an optical/codmetical thing.
You can basicly heal this by fin clipping. Fins and fin rays have the ability to regrow as long the root is not removed or damaged.

Fin clipping is not that easy but still a beginner treatment. Still you need for a propper healing a couple of things.
An healthy fish without Stress at best alone in a tank
Pristine water conditions
Big water changes
High quality food

What bothers me more is her after all condition. Not just the little pitting, but the Erosion on the forehead, an healthy Oscar even in old age is on that location still smooth like a babys bottom and after all an very visable fallen in stomach.

I doubt that your fish has an tumor more like an internal parasite and long term bad water quality. Like said an 75G is not easy to maintain with an Oscar, keeping it cycled, keeping enormus water changes and the high amount of food needed for a 3 to 4 pound fish is not that easy as most people think.

My recommend sugestion would be.

1: If not possible to get your fish an bigger tank like an 4 x 2 x 2 is increase water changes. At least two fin level water changes per week.
That keeps down the Nitrate, better change to much as to less.

2: If possible increase filtration. Mech filtration is not that important but bio. Even after feeding there should never been No2 visalbe on any test at all.
Keep the water surface well circulated for an propper oxigen exchange and in this situation also keep him a bit more active in warmer water between 25 to 28 degrees Celsius what fasten the metabosim but also the healing process.
A bit of peat for the Filtration and cappata leafes will not harm and help with light brusings to heal faster.

3: Improof his food. A good pellet is ok but in your Situation i would mix with like 50% frozen like an brine shrimp or cichlid mix but not with red or black blood Worms or mosqito larvas or Discus food What mostly is beefheart. Liquid Vitamin prepared food at least don't harm.

Keep this up for 6 to 8 weeks and tell us if there is progress. If the sunken stomach comes out a bit and if the fish gained some weight and the Erosion maybe starts to heal a bit up.
It will leave scars, but the flesh and skin shows improving if the spots darken a bit up.
Also tell us if his dropings looks "healthy" so not white or shrinked in, with bubbles inside or floating.

If this is the case good. If not we should think about a internal parasite and deworming treatment.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar Needs Help 9 months 1 week ago #71397

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
I agree in general with these guys. The fin issue is called fin rot. It's a secondary infection often caused by poor water quality. If ammonia or nitrite poisoning occurs the first thing to show symptoms is the soft tissues - gill tissue and fins. Visually seeing the fin rot, and the pitting and erosion of the head lead me to believe that your test kits are faulty or erroneous. 5 weeks without a water change in a typical tank would lead in nitrate levels through the roof - I'd expect to see something in the 80+ range ppm.

I too would drastically increase water changes to begin with. A single adult Oscar on a regular feeding schedule is possible to maintain, but you need large volume weekly water changes. 75-80% per week.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds