Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 11 months 5 days ago #67747

• Scott49
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi guys

New to this page and new to having tiger Oscars..

so i have a 100 gallon aquarium with gravel. now i got 3 tiger Oscars as i will be planing to add some more tanks once i move into the new house so i wasnt worried about having 3 as they have alot of room in the tank to escape each other...

so lets start at the beginning.

i cycled my tank for a good 3 months as i could decide on what fish i wanted. So everything checked out on the tank and ll levels were great .. just slightly low on alkaline but nothing a small water change wouldn't fix...

so i got the 3 oscars and put them in the tank after letting them accumulate for an hr or so... ( had a ph call for work forgot i hadn't taken them out)

so over the next 5 days things where good they all stuck together pretty active.. they were not eating but that's understandable after coming from a small tank at the store to a large tank.. i was using omega one super color cichlid pellets. they would not touch them or even look at the pellets..so i switched it up to omega one blood worms week #2 and with some small luck they took to that feeding them once a day at 8am when i come into my office.. after about 5 days they started acting up ,, Not eating hiding in the corner all together and being very skitish. so now this is my 3rd month with them and im down to feeding them once every 2-3 days and they still wont eat and they hide pretty much all day.. i put on a container i had to act like a cave maybe to make them feel safer.. they just stay in there pretty much all day never come out... so this week one has been coming out a little more not very active just hangs out by the heater and he has is tanned color stripes out most of the day... so i bought some ghost shrimp as they were small and cheap to see if they would go for them to eat as live food and no luck shrimp are all still alive and loving the large amount of space they have to dart all over the tank..

so at this point im not sure what their deal is.. every thing i read say they should be active and sometimes interact with owners
3 little O's
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 11 months 5 days ago #67750

• Scott49
Here is some pics ..

PH -- 7.4-7.8
nitrate ---- 0
nitrite --- 0

3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 11 months 5 days ago #67753

• Scott49
So while i was sending these messages i found a container with tropical flakes from when i had my tetras about a yr ago.. so i threw in a small pinch of flakes and to my surprise they took to that like hot cakes...

so here is a few more pics and i just did a water test and i have been doing between 30- 40% water change once a week with a cascade 1000 canister filter...

3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 11 months 5 days ago #67755

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 230
Scott, welcome! Nice looking setup and cute little Os. It's not unusual for oscars to scoff at certain foods. My O wouldn't eat the NLS mini pellets, but he would eat others.

Looks like a 4ft, 90g tank you have? Same footprint as a 75g, only taller. This may be an issue with 3 oscars as time goes on, both with aggression and the ability to maintain decent was quality.

How did you cycle this tank?
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 11 months 4 days ago #67756

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
Hi Scott, welcome to the site-loads of great info here so take your time and fill your mind!

Tank look s great for now, but keep in mind that in order to keep 3 Oscars(long term and healthy) you need to be looking at 220 gallons+! Big fish need big water. These fish will grow FAST-so be prepared to add that extra space soon.

You state your nitrate reading as 0 ppm-a properly cycled tank should not be reading 0 as it should be converting ammonia, and in turn, nitrite into nitrate. It is mentioned frequently here that the nitrate test solution bottles need EXTENSIVE shaking-I'd suggest you take another reading after ensuring that you have shaken each bottle for at least a minute.

If you still have a zero reading you may have a problem with your tank's cycle-this could have negative implications for your fish. Luckily you are in the right place to get sound advice.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 11 months 4 days ago #67758

• Scott49
thanks guys .. as far as size like i said i plan on moving them into seperate tanks as they get older and i get my new house....

i attached the pictures of the test and yes i did shake for about 30 secs and let sit for about 5 min then shoook it up again before i took the pics...

i put in some quick start then water changed once a week for 3 months added live plant to help with water condition

besides that,, thats all i did :snicker:
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 11 months 4 days ago #67760

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 111
Looks like the ammonia is pretty green. That combined with no nitrites nor nitrates means the tank isn't cycled (ie. doesn't have enough of the bacteria that coverts ammonia into nitrite to handle the waste products being emitted by the Oscars.

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 11 months 4 days ago #67761

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 230
Scott49 wrote:
i put in some quick start then water changed once a week for 3 months added live plant to help with water condition

besides that,, thats all i did :snicker:

Unfortunately, without adding an ammonia source over that 3 month period to "feed" the quick start product, nothing happened in terms of establishing a nitrogen cycle for this tank. We've all been there at some point!!

Does your tap water turn the ammonia test green? That would indicate your water supply uses chloramine instead of chlorine. You can detox your tank temporarily from ammonia by using a quality dechlor product like Seachem Prime or Safe (powder form).

Typically, any time your ammonia test shows ammonia, you keep changing water until you show 0ppm ammonia (yellow tube).
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 11 months 4 days ago #67765

• Scott49
I have been using prime 2 capfuls every water change .... What do you suggest I do. To fix this problem
3 little O's

New Member 3 New tiger oscars 5 months old 11 months 4 days ago #67766

• Scott49
Also the ammonia was bellow .25 I think the photo made it look green as I was in an office that hat yellowish walls
3 little O's
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds