Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Less Water Changes

Less Water Changes 1 month 3 days ago #72340

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
I think someone has already opened a topic similar to this but I'm going to ask this anyways.

Let's say I have one of those 200 gallon holding tanks filled with cycled water, at the same temp as the main tank, and has filtration.
Now let's say there's an internal pump in the holding tank that leads to the sump of the main tank. This way it's added to the tank at an appropriate speed and is surely clean beforehand. As the water is added, the water level in the tank is obviously going to rise. So, Let's say there's another tube in the overflow box that leads directly to the drain.

With clean water coming and going the the tank at an appropriate pace would there be a need to continue water changes? I would still do it to rid of solid waste as well as cleaning the substrate, but would it be considered safe?

I think I've heard that this method could be dangerous somehow but I forgot. This idea should be fairly cheap and would greatly reduce the time I take to let water sit.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Less Water Changes 1 month 3 days ago #72341

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
What you're describing is a drip system which is one of the best, if not the best, forms of filtration. These bad boys, if setup right can leave your tank with 0ppm nitrate/nitrie/ammonia. There are actually some very interesting threads on this forum about members setting up their own drip systems. I found JAJameson2010's setup very interesting and informative. The biggest problem with JAJameson2010's setup was controlling chlorine/chloramines from the incoming water. If you are on well water you don't need to worry about this, but if not, you need to look into a setup that can remove it. The most popular are using activated carbon blocks and rodi systems to remove it. I think I also remember a user that used a whole house carbon water filter in their setup. The downside is that these filters are usually pretty pricey and if not maintained/renewed your fish can die from chlorine/chloramines.

- Aquamoo

Less Water Changes 1 month 2 days ago #72342

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
A drip System is regulary not feeded by an IBC or other closed tank, it comes from your regular water tap.

Of course you can mount one of this big containers filled with 240 G of water to increase the volume. Nitrat Levels would also increase less as just with your normal Aquarium but you also have to heat this extra 240G of water that you never see.

So for water quality it will improve your Situation for costs, it will increase your maintaince costs to lets say you have an 120G with an 240G IBC to n 360G tank..

If I was wrong and you meaned a drip System you need a swear connection besides a fresh water source.

If you feed and evacuate a drip systems with holding tanks above and under the tank you just do your regular water change over an longer time frame.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Less Water Changes 1 month 2 days ago #72343

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Sorry for not clarifying, but I do use well water.

Also, I wasn't planning on having the tap directly leading to the holding tank. I was planning on adding a bucket of cleaned water into it everyday or so instead (depending on the pump flow).

Toom, I'm sorry (and serious), but what is an IBC? I've managed to figure out some other of these terms like LFS and such, but I'm stumped.
Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Thanks.

Less Water Changes 1 month 1 day ago #72344

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
IBC stands for Intermediate Bulk Container. It's an inexpensive gaint water canister. Some times you see see them of ranches or farms as big rain water barrels.

There original use is found in any kind of production industys. There where you need to order big stapable units of liquids. They can be refilled, they have a drain on the bottom and they can be moved with an forklift.

Maybe you know this little bottles of syntetical liquid sweetner from the grocery store? The IBC is the little bottle in the industry in many cases from making Soda, soap, parfums, candy up to the soap that is used in a car wash.

Here in europe they are also popular in the hobby to build filters from them for big aquariums but mostly ponds or as some kind of 200+ G redneck pond if you cut off the top part.
I have a aquarium friend with an 1500 Gallon tank that runs 3 of this behind a wall connected in a row with each other as an 600G Filter System with an drum filter System that collects biologocal waste and extract this from the water, than ordinary biological filtration and in the last one an AWAB System what is german and stands for Swear water purification system what is a way to make your tank free from water changes if you don't count the evaporation.
His tank is basicly water change free since about 4 years and he keeps fresh water rays, vampire fish and some other big guys.

goo.gl/images/iKEump

goo.gl/images/HhRuch
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscarmon

Less Water Changes 1 month 1 day ago #72345

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Thanks! What i was looking at is very similar if not the same to that :)

I think I'll start experimenting with a smaller tank . Although it might be awhile before I do.

Less Water Changes 1 month 17 hours ago #72351

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
An AWAB System is a nice thing to have, especially if you have bad water parameters from the start for example if your water is to hard because you have 2 to 3 different reisin filters your water will become very soft with an stable Ph around 6 so very good for SA fish..

Especially for big tanks it makes sense and it becomes long term a money safer especially if you have expensive tap water like here in Germany.

But there is always an but, you have of course more to spend in the first place on the System.

Besides the propper sized sump tank and eqipment to get biological waste out of the water like with an drumfilter or rollermat filter you need an No3 Filter and after that one or two depending on the method you prefer other resin based filters. Also an propper sized UVC steriler.

After the water is mechanical cleaned you have biological filtration. Than you filter for No3 and UVC.

The NO3 Filter is an Ion exchanger that exchange Nitrate for Sodium so for 1 mg of Nitrate it release 1 mg of salt to your tank.
The next filter unit reabsorbs the sodium back.

The No3 Filter needs to be recharged with a 1:10 sodium water bleach to release the nitrate it absorbed. This depends on the size and the amount of resin. There are Versions that are coke bottle sized and there are ones that hold several Gallons.
The last ones depending on stocking may holds weeks to months before you have to touch them.

The other resin mostly needs to be relaced after several cycles..
The other but os you need to know your stuff. You should know what is about Ph kh gh because you need to calibrate the whole System before it will run like a clock to make your tank basicly maintainceles for about one per month.
This is by far a little more about chemical knowage as opening the tap and doing a quick 70% WC once per week.

Less Water Changes 1 month 11 hours ago #72356

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
So this is how some people handle multiple large tanks...

Thanks, I'll try and remember this.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds