Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Air Stones Value

Air Stones Value 3 months 4 weeks ago #72292

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
I recently finished installing my new canister only to realize that the airstone's bubbles end up being blown across the tank due to flow.

With 2 filters now running, should I really keep my airstone?
I know it's supposed to oxygenize the water, but with all this surface agitation could I get rid of it?

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping it due to it's benefits but I'm open to suggestions.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Air Stones Value 3 months 3 weeks ago #72293

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
Oscarmon wrote:
...I know it's supposed to oxygenize the water, but with all this surface agitation could I get rid of it?...

Airstones essentially serve a couple purposes - sometimes three......
1. Agitates the water surface to ensure oxygen exchange (ie. ensures oxygen gets in the water for your fish). Surface agitation can most often be accomplished with the output of your filters. HOB's obviously agitate the surface due to their waterfall style method of putting the filtered water back in the tank. Canister filters usually have their outputs close enough to the surface to disrupt the surface tension and thereby enabling oxygen exchange.
2. They look cool!! They can add to the aesthetics and make for a cooler looking tank.
3. Some fish like to play in them. In such cases they can add to the fish's overall well being.

If #2 and 3 don't apply to you, you'd only need them unless you're uncomfortable with your filter's ability to do oxygen exchange.

Air Stones Value 3 months 3 weeks ago #72294

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Well, 2 used to apply. And as for 3, my O sometimes attacks the bubbles.

There is no still water anywhere on the aquarium surface.

I think I might try moving the stone somewhere else in the tank. If it doesn't work out is there anything else that you think he'd like to mess around with?
I've heard that table ping pong balls can be used... Are they even safe? It's be neat to keep him occupied and out of trouble when I'm out and about, especially if I don't use the stone.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds