Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Northfin fish food

Northfin fish food 3 months 2 weeks ago #69475

• obione
  • Poecilia reticulata
www.oscarfish.com/6-star-foods/962-northfin-fish-foods.html
" Very little, if anything, seperates Northfin and NLS. NLS may even be a better product due to the healthful benefits of Chlorella Algae and Ulva Seaweed. The reason Northfin has recieved a 6 star rating and NLS remains in the 5 star category (5.5 stars) is that I have been able to recieve an "Ethoyxquin Free" statement from Northfin, to include absence of Ethoxyquin in pre-manufacture meals. I have not been able to recieve an Ethoxyquin free statement from NLS. Site rules in ingredient ratings is that to achieve a "6 star" rating, the manufacture must identify an Ethoxyquin free food ".

Kmuda,The reason you were unable to to receive an ethoxyquin free statement from NLS is because they are not willing to blatantly lie to you. This is what separate NLS from NF. NLS has been up front about ethoxyquin in their food. They clearly said “ New Life International Inc. does not directly add ethoxyquin to any of our foods”
The owner even made the following statement in the public forum. “ I personally know of no manufacturer that makes their own in-house fish meal on site, which means that if fish meal is being used in a food, any type of pet food, there will be at least a small amount of ethoxyquin in the final formula”.

If you want to read NLS response about ethoxyquin on one of the public forum, below is the link.
thefragtank.ca/community/threads/food-that-kills.17439/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Northfin fish food 3 months 2 weeks ago #69479

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 897
Trust me, I've read everything Pablo has to say about Ethoxyquin.

I believe the issue is larger than a single manufacturer lying to me. There is likely nothing unique about the Krill being used by Northfin, which would indicate that any Krill based foods would be higher in Ethoxyquin than allowed. That is what I want to know. How wide spread is the issue?
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Northfin fish food 3 months 2 weeks ago #69499

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 177
I can't seem to find a floating Northfn pellet
In tanks with sand...no big deal
Malawi and community eat off bottom
In my larger tanks with river stone, what they don't catch I vacuum up on saturdays

I am using 1 mm pellets in the homemade food squares.
Doesn't help the squares stay floating but slows the decent for a lazy Oscar...
But I would like to use large pellets for JD who refuses to loo at homemade squares.
I'll stick with Hikari but if thr re is a large floating NorthfinUSA pellet, please share
180 oscar and SD's
75 JD / Pleco
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
29 malawi
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores- BO

56 empty and willing

Northfin fish food 3 months 2 weeks ago #69505

• tom
  • Thank you received: 230
I use Northfin tropical sticks.
All the fish eat them, and they float.
:)

6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Chocolate, Rotkeil Severum
10 Siver Dollars

Northfin fish food 3 months 2 weeks ago #69510

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
The NF I have is called slow sinking. Some hangs on surface for maybe 5 secs, but some also drops quick. Bigger pellets, 6mm jumbo formula and 10mm carnivore sink slower than small.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Northfin fish food 3 months 2 weeks ago #69511

• tom
  • Thank you received: 230
I have been using those 10 mm carnivore pellets as a staple for over a year.
I feed them one at a time and stop after 6 to 8.
Only the O eats those, but the chocolate steals one every now and then.
Then I drop a dozen or so of the tropical sticks.
I also use both 2 and 6 mm krill pellets and some ZooMed Spirulina 20 flake.
That feeds them all for 2 or 3 days...
:)

6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Chocolate, Rotkeil Severum
10 Siver Dollars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob167

Northfin fish food 3 months 2 weeks ago #69514

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 104
Tropical Sticks float as do the 6mm Koi Supreme.

Northfin fish food (KRILL) 2 months 1 week ago #70074

• yanosan
  • Poecilia reticulata
Full Disclosure, I work with the largest producer of krill-derived products in the world. At a recent Trade Show I was asked to chime in on the Ethoxyquin issue and whether or not there is actually krill meal available that is properly preservative free.

I can say, definitively, that there is krill meal produced that is preservative-free. The issue with preservatives in fish meal has most to do with the cubic volume of the product being shipped. Fish meal, and krill meal, are highly oxididizable and therefore dangerous to be shipping in an enclosed space like the hold of a freighter. Ethoxyquin is a supremely effective anti-oxidant and well indicated in feeds destined for fish.

Krill Meal behaves differently than fish meal in that the fat is not easily separated from the protein...where fish meal can hover at 6% most krill meal has fat levels over 25%. This is due to the peculiar nature of the Omega3's in krill. While there are Ethoxyquin alternatives, none immediately presents as effective...particular for krill meal. It is likely that given the regulatory trend, producers will move to a blend of some sort or, ideally,utilize larger scale vacuum packers with nitrogen flushing. This however, is very, very expensive.

Our company has been producing a preservative-free krill meal for some time. This product is packaged in 25kg bags which are vacuum packed...the naturally occuring Astaxanthin in the meal provides stability for up to 2 years. This particular meal has undergone an additional sieving process to reduce the shell volume (and thus the flouride levels) making it suitable for mammalian diets.

I am not aware of any other krill producer who offers non-ethoxyquin preserved product in meal form. The only exception being product that has been deep frozen prepped for oil extraction. This type of meal is very, very expensive given the front-loaded cost of said preservation. This is not to say that there aren't some kg's of natural krill meal out there. However, given that the second biggest producer has just gone bankrupt (Olympic/Rimfrost) and two of the other 9 boats previously fishing for Antarctic Krill have been docked, it is unlikely.

For reference, preservative-free krill meal is roughly 2x the cost of ethoxyquin treated product.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds