Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Northfin fish food

Northfin fish food 1 year 4 months ago #69449

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 214
I have a different take on the whole Ethoxyquin debate. I could care less if its in Northfin or any other food. I use Northfin, not exclusively, but as a majority. Any fishkeeper with considerable time in the hobby has fed fish food with Ethoxyquin in it. I used Hikari and Omega1 for years before Northfin existed. I have used damn near everything. I have had many dozens of cichlids live long full lives. I've had some expire prematurely. I sincerely dont believe Ethoxyquin is linked to either long or shortened lives. I have zero proof of any claim, I just have my own personal experience. Feed quality, keep water clean, provide adequate space. Following these criteria leads to high percentage success. Ethoxyquin?? So what.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Northfin fish food 1 year 4 months ago #69457

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 60
Thanks NorthStar, I completely agree with you. I've never run into any issues with fish food before, so why start worrying about this now.

Unless there is an actual problem, but it's hard to link food to issues because it always starts from water quality...
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 yellow top finned Lawanda
2 male cobues, 1 cobue fry
6 female cobue peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis
1 electric yellow

5.5 Gallon
red finned, blue and white marbled Delta tail betta

30 gallon
3 males, 4 females

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Northfin fish food 1 year 4 months ago #69459

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 17
kmuda wrote:
I suspect real but have not yet been able to confirm it. The lab refused to acknowledge the legitimacy of the report claiming client privacy.,I continue to work the issue.

Does not seem like a whole lot of privacy since the scans of the lab results list the store name and on one document the persons name. Apparently the person who requested the test does not care about privacy. lol

Interesting that the two diffent test results post on MFK were done on the Krill Pro. This is the USA version the food and the Canadain version is Krill Gold, dont know if there is any significance to that.
My tanks:
300g - H. Pearsei x1, P. heterospilus x1, Bichirs x 6
65B - Hairy Puffer x1
65B - Wild Columbia Oscars x3

Northfin fish food 1 year 4 months ago #69463

• saturn
  • Poecilia reticulata
The discussion is not about Northfin ethoxyquin level or lab. test. Although is will be nice to stick to FDA guide line of 150ppm max. I am sure, if you tested other NF formula is will be much much lower ppm since it has less krill (just guessing).I can also predict ALL major brands of fish food contain ethoxyquin. Mostly likely it very hard to buy ethoxyquin free ingredients. IMHO, ethoxyquin in fish food is secondary issue. The foremost problem is misleading advertising to gain market share and favorable rating.
I have "google search” all major fish food companies website. Not one company claim to be ethoxyquin Free (including Aqueon, Hikaki, ZooMed) other than Northfin. The only thing I don’t know is whether or not other company claim to be be ethoxyquin free to kmuda on their private conversations? Only kmuda knows the answer. But Northfin clearly and repeatedly assured kmuda that their pre-manufacturing ingredients are ethoxyquin free.

www.oscarfish.com/forum/fish-food-ingred...h-food.html?start=10
3 years 3 days ago post.We have our first 6 star food....
According to Northfin, Ethoxyquin is not utilized in pre-production meals nor in their production. If (or when) a preservative is used (in the meals), it is Naturox. Naturox is "Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Silicon Dioxide, Citric Acid, Vegetable Oil, and Rosemary Extract". If you don't know what "Tocopherols" are..... it's Vitamin E. Acceptable and preferred preservatives.

Northfin fish food 1 year 4 months ago #69464

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
so Hikari Gold has ethoxyquin in it but it's not listed on the package of the oscar food I have. Its not listed on any packages of food I have from different companies. So how is NorthFin any different from not listing it either?
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
6 female cobue peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis
1 electric yellow

5.5 Gallon

30 gallon
3 males, 4 females

Northfin fish food 1 year 4 months ago #69466

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
This is about Northfin's repeated claims that their foods were/are ethoxyquin free. The statements below still appear on their website.

NorthFin Premium Fish Foods does not use any preservatives or harmful chemicals to preserve its product line.
The combination of certain ingredients/vitamins, along with the drying process itself allows the foods to be naturally preserved.

Northfin fish food 1 year 4 months ago #69467

• saturn
  • Poecilia reticulata
Instead of beating the dead horse to dead, This post from monsterfishkeeper.com will explain clearly the different Northfin and other companies in regard to ethoxyquin!

www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/northfin-food.677309/

I don’t know of any fish food company on record made such bold claims on their website and communication with consumers, other than Northfin.
If some one wonder why Northfin is being singled out for the lab. test? These statements below should summed up and tell you why.
Northfin is not an innocent victim. If there is any victim, I would say kmuda of oscarfish forum is the real victim, he is the only one that provide a public service of educating consumers about fish food, expecting the company to answers in good faith, but the information given turn out to be false.

I don’t feel the company should get a free past for false advertising. Some might not care, but for me, being truthful should be our moral compass in today’s alternative facts society.

www.oscarfish.com/4-star-foods/2 … lysis.html
"I have been able to recieve an "Ethoyxquin Free" statement from Northfin, to include absence of Ethoxyquin in pre-manufacture meals.

This is an old thread posted 1 year 9 months ago by (Nostradamus) aquanero.
www.oscarfish.com/forum/fish...rted-pell...brands.html?start=30
“maybe they figured a good marketing strategy was to jump on the anti ethoxyquin band wagon and use it to their advantage, ethoxyquin is used to preserve fish meal, so while North Fin doesn't add it to their food how do you know it's not in the fish meal they buy? They say they don't add any preservatives but it doesn't say anywhere on their site their suppliers don't use it. Read between the lines, I'll bet if you sent the food to an independent lab they would find it in there. It is used by fish meal manufactures if they use fish meal in their food then where did it go? Don't believe everything you read use some logical deductive reasoning, marketing is a great tool, education is a greater defense”.

Copy and paste from nothfin website: www.canadian-aquatic-feed.com/?page_id=34

“ NorthFin Premium Fish Foods does not use any preservatives or harmful chemicals to preserve its product line”.

www.oscarfish.com/forum/fish-food-ingred...od.html?limitstart=0
" Northfin fish food are made in our facility and we do not have or use any preservatives. We do not use any oils or fats and would be no need to ad any. Also we find our formulas stable when kept properly. All our main ingredients are ordered fresh from Canadian factories, we do not buy or import any from offshore.”

The Bible remind us in Mark 4:22 "For everything hidden is meant to be revealed, and everything concealed is meant to be brought to light".

Northfin fish food 1 year 4 months ago #69469

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
The combination of certain ingredients/vitamins, along with the drying process itself allows the foods to be naturally preserved.

To me this sentence can be loose on anything they want to put into it. Like a double edge sword.

I believe at this point in time it's between the people and God who claim it's ethoxyquin free when it's not

Jesus has taught me, to love them let it go and he will judge them.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
6 female cobue peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis
1 electric yellow

5.5 Gallon

30 gallon
3 males, 4 females

Northfin fish food 1 year 4 months ago #69473

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
Here is the sneakinest of the situation. Northfin's advertisements are not false. Northfin, themselves, do not use any Preservatives in the manufacture of their products. I have no doubt of that. This is an argument I've been having with may companies in that despite clearly worded regulations that dictate otherwise, that if they don't add the preservatives themselves then they don't have to claim it's existence on the label. The only falsehoods then, are in private communications when queried if Ethoxyquin was utilized in the pre-mix meals, before the meals were received by Northfin. The answer to that one is obviously Yes..

This is not a defense of Northfin, not by any means. It just demonstrates how companies side-step rules and regulations when it comes to ingredient labels and advertising. In this instance, companies continue to hold onto the erroneous long held belief that if they don't add it themselves, they don't have to list it on the ingredient label... ad AAFCO, while not toothless, basically does not give a damn.

The first products I am personally testing are NLS (that does not list Ethoxyquin on its ingredient label) and Aqueon Cichlid Pellets. Aqueon used to have a preservative free claim on their foods that has since been removed but they do not list Ethoxquin (or BHA/BHT) on their Ingredient list. I want to know how wide-spread this issue is.

The sad aspect is that I don't think the amount of Ethoxyquin in Northfin will be unusual. We'll discover it's the norm rather than the exception. There is nothing unique about the Krill Source used by Northfin...... unless the lies go even deeper and they are using Pacific Krill obtained from offshore..... which I would consider an even more egregious violation of our trust. If we test other Krill based foods (and NLS is about the only other) and it tests much lower, then that tells us something.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96, beretta96

Northfin fish food 1 year 4 months ago #69474

• obione
  • Poecilia reticulata
How do you reconcile this statement???

www.oscarfish.com/4-star-foods/2 … lysis.html
"I have been able to recieve an "Ethoyxquin Free" statement from Northfin, to include absence of Ethoxyquin in pre-manufacture meals.

We are talking about pre-manufacture meals.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds