Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Northfin fish food

Northfin fish food 1 year 7 months ago #68055

• hepatus
  • Poecilia reticulata
I have read all about Nothfin and preservative on this site. But,I am a bit confused on several different statements being made.

On Northfin website: www.canadian-aquatic-feed.com/?page_id=34
"NorthFin Premium Fish Foods does not use any preservatives or harmful chemicals to preserve its product line”.

Also according to Emily, Northfin said " Northfin fish food are made in our facility and we do not have or use any preservatives. We do not use any oils or fats and would be no need to ad any. Also we find our formulas stable when kept properly.

But on this link, www.oscarfish.com/4-star-foods/2 … lysis.html you said:
"I have been able to recieve an "Ethoyxquin Free" statement from Northfin, to include absence of Ethoxyquin in pre-manufacture meals".

And later on you said ” To say they are preservative free would likely be inaccurate. Some of the source materials undoubtedly contain preservatives. In a prior conversation I had with Northfin they stated that some source materials, sometimes, may contain Naturox”.

Am I correct in coming to this conclusion that Northfin is not preservative free, since they use Naturox as a preservative. But, they are "ethoxyquin free” ( harmful chemical ).Correct?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Northfin fish food 1 year 7 months ago #68065

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
I'll have to find out how you were able to access an old archived version of the document. The current Northfin article is here:

www.oscarfish.com/6-star-foods/962-northfin-fish-foods.html

Northfin can be considered an Ethoxyquin free food, although chances of it being preservative free are slim. While Northfin may not add anything to their mixes, chances are some products will contain preservatives in the pre-mix. However, I have additional communications from Northfin that identify when the pre-mix contains preservatives, that a product called Naturox is used.. Naturox is "Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Silicon Dioxide, Citric Acid, Vegetable, which is a preferred preservative. Basically, Naturix is Vitamin E.

Any product that sits on a boat in a "meal" form must be preserved in some fashion to prevent the product from combustion. So preservatives are inevitable. But natural preservatives, such as Vitamin E, Rosemary, Citric Acid, etc..... are much preferred over something like Ethoxyquin.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel96

Northfin fish food 1 year 7 months ago #68079

• hepatus
  • Poecilia reticulata
Are you referring to this? www.oscarfish.com/forum/fish-food-ingred...od.html?limitstart=0
bloodmourn
Platinum Boarder
Thank you received: 154
so what are they using a preservative?

Edit: found this
Emiry wrote:
Yeah, my thoughts exactly! That's too much food to use up! Hopefully smaller sizes will become available. :)
By the way, here's the response I got from Northfin, they said it was fine for me to post it:

Thank You for supporting Canadian products.

"Northfin fish food are made in our facility and we do not have or use any preservatives. We do not use any oils or fats and would be no need to ad any. Also we find our formulas stable when kept properly.
All our main ingredients are ordered fresh from Canadian factories, we do not buy or import any from offshore".

Or this from Northfin website? www.canadian-aquatic-feed.com/?page_id=34

Copy and paste from the site. "NorthFin Premium Fish Foods does not use any preservatives or harmful chemicals to preserve its product line".

Northfin fish food 1 year 7 months ago #68082

• kmuda
  • Admin
It depends. When I am referencing the potential use of Naturox, that information came from a private email exchange with Darius.

Northfin fish food 1 year 7 months ago #68083

• hepatus
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thank's for the clarification. Of course, I have no way of knowing what took place between you and Northfin private email exchange.

Northfin fish food 1 year 7 months ago #68172

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 60
This is the food that was suggested to me to feed to the African cichlids I bought. They know where the pellets drop. They spend the next couple of minutes eating them
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 yellow top finned Lawanda
2 male cobues, 1 cobue fry
6 female cobue peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis
1 electric yellow

5.5 Gallon
red finned, blue and white marbled Delta tail betta

30 gallon
3 males, 4 females

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Northfin fish food 1 year 7 months ago #68266

Hey, all this talk about Ethoxyquin and who and who doesn't have it, and Northfin claiming it was EQ-free made me curious. So I had a friend of mine get a sealed bag of food and have it tested. And here's the test results.

www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/912Gu3

Northfin fish food 1 year 7 months ago #68267

• kmuda
  • Admin
Sorry Lillynurselau, We're going to need more information than a first post with a screenshot of an easily forged document. I will contact the Lab in reference for verification Until then, I am removing your post.. If your information prooves legitimate, I will re-publish your post and help take the fight to them.

This better be legit and legally defensible or you are setting yourself up for hell of a lawsuit, as I assume you are posting this all over the Internet. You should be aware, your IP address is traceable down to a location and an individual.

EDIT: To anyone who may have read the preceding post (that I have since removed), initial indications are that it is potentially bogus. The company that supposedly originated the request appears to be defunk (non-existent). Their website is gone, their phone has been disconnected. That company, including the supposed originator of the request, Larry Lau, are now associated with a company called Reef Results Marine, but Eco Reef Aquariums, Inc appears to be no more and that is the name on the request.

I have contacted the lab in question for verification and am awaiting them to contact me back. I will also contact Larry Lau directly to see if he can confirm the request.

Northfin fish food 1 year 7 months ago #68269

Hi Kmuda:

I of course completely encourage you to follow-up with the lab to verify the report, and to do due diligence on the lab to satisfy yourself that they are a legitimate, certified facility. I would expect no less, and that it speaks well of your “journalistic integrity.” That said, I would encourage you to spend the time to do so before making a final judgement and await their response.

Also, we have moved locations, but are still an incorporated Florida business with a physical place of operation.

You provide the surveys to food companies in the spirit of public service, expecting answers in good faith. Discovering that perhaps this was not the case, I felt that it was the venue given that this is an important issue here, and you demonstrated willingness to go to bat for true information.

I actually have only posted it on your forum and one other, as the discussion was regarding this subject, and the claims sounded a bit good to be true -- given that this is animportant issue here, and you demonstrated willingness to go to bat for true information. Although I haven't posted previously, I do frequently look at the forums, as they often have good information.

Given your concerns, I will happily submit to a separate sample to another independent accredited laboratory to verify across multiple samples

(P.S., running errands so not at the same computer from which I originally posted)

Northfin fish food 1 year 7 months ago #68275

• kmuda
  • Admin
I only want to publish the truth. If a company is not providing truthful information, they should be held into account. If these lab results are reality, I intend to submit a series of products for testing, with the results going to AAFCO.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds