Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 3 months 3 weeks ago #71996

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks for the info! Is it a 6ft power cord? I can't go with Fx6 because of size and the Fx4 seems to still move the water across the tank.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 3 months 3 weeks ago #71997

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
You can adjust flow over the Out valve. It don't do harm as long the the pump is fully submerged or propperly feeded with water.
There are several canisters like the Eheim Pro 3 and 4 Series that get adjusted to the same principle.
Also alot of submerged non adjustable DC Pumps like we use in sumps are get adjusted in Output on the same way.
To the pump it don't do harm. It would be different if it would be a pressurized System like on a heating pump bit not on aquariums.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 3 months 3 weeks ago #72001

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
2 more questions for you guys:

1. Are you talking about the older versions of the newer versions of the fx4? I recently learned that they were updated with a hose clip on top.

2. How does the automatic air check work? I heard it stops every twelve hours. After this, how long does it stay off? Do I need to turn it back on myself?

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 3 months 3 weeks ago #72002

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 89
Yes they stop every twelve hours to purge any trapped air, they stop for about 2 minutes then automatically restart. Also everytime you turn them off or the power supply is interrupted they will start, run for 2 minutes, stop for 2 minutes then restart. I've had my fx6 for nearly 5 years and never had a problem.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 3 months 3 weeks ago #72003

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 17
The hose clip on the top is worthless. I basically lets you clip a drain hose in place. Not really any real benefit.

The first generation FX6 had the water change knobs, again worthless. They both only went to 12.... if one was for month the other should have been for date.

I have owned the FX5 and FX6 and ran them both for years. My preference is the FX6. The 5 had a lid design that really made it difficult to purge air from the canister. After cleaning it took forvever for the unit to expel the air. The new FX6 (Likely FX4 too) lid has a different design and it just works. This is the underside of the FX6 lid with the improved vent.

The FX6 Second generation also has the basket in basket design. this works good for the black bumpy looking pre filter

If I had anything really bad to complain about the filter it would be the knobs. These white plastic knobs on the 6 are crap and break easily. The FX5 knobs are better built.

These are the FX5 knobs. I always keep extra on hand since they can break and then your stuck not being able to put your filter back together. You can buy the FX5 knobs online at BIg Als

Hopefully my pics help you out. The FX series of filters are really a long lasting product and well built. Been very happy with them.
My tanks:
300g - H. Pearsei x1, P. heterospilus x1, Bichirs x 6
65B - Hairy Puffer x1
65B - Wild Columbia Oscars x3
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Marineland Magnum 350 Vs. Fluval Fx4,5 or 6 3 months 3 weeks ago #72004

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Thanks guys! How many trays are there in the Fx4? I was planning on adding some Marineland media which is what I put in my other canister.

6ft cord, right?
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds