lifespan of an oscar fish

Post questions you have about keeping Oscars here.

lifespan of an oscar fish

Postby girlshannonh » Sat May 26, 2007 6:59 pm

We recently bought a friends aquarium, complete with their three-year-old oscar.....what is the average lifespan of an oscar?? Weve already come to love him in the short time that we have had him, and hope that we will enjoy his company for a long time :?: :?:
girlshannonh
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby texasgirl » Sat May 26, 2007 7:05 pm

Average is around 8-10 years although I believe there have been accounts of up to 15 years.
texasgirl
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby sprout » Sat May 26, 2007 7:07 pm

With proper care and a little luck your new friend will be around for years to come. The average life span for a well kept oscar is approximately 10 years, some have been known to live more (15 is not unheard of). The keys to longevity is proper tank size, good tank maintenance, and good nutrition. So what size tank did you buy and what do you feed your new friend? Since you bought the two together, did you maintain the cycle? What type of filtration system do you use?
Kmuda wrote:Someone broke out the crack pipe with that advice. :roll:

150g George(the teacup oscar), Macy(the severum),Paul(tiger oscar), and King Ralph(striped raphael catfish)
75g Thing One (Chocolate Cichlid)
55g Bruce (RDx?)
sprout

Postby girlshannonh » Sat May 26, 2007 7:16 pm

When we bought him, we didnt know anything at all about caring for an aquarium....and i think our friend was just ready to get rid of him. So he brought the fish over in a smaller aquarium and set up the larger one (55 gallon) for us. Now that I've done some research, I think we were really lucky that he even survived the move. He seems to be doing really well - healthy appetite and all. Also, we got a pleco to keep him company(ha!) He really pestered that guy for a while, but they get along pretty well now. I feed him cichlid pellets most of the time, and occasionally he gets to chase some feeders around the tank.... he seems to enjoy being a predator once in a while.
girlshannonh
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby sprout » Sat May 26, 2007 7:25 pm

I have some bad news for you. Your tank is not large enough for an oscar and a pleco. Common pleco's can get to at least 2' long and are massive waste machines. As for the feeders.... Do you quarantine them for a month or so to insure they are disease free? Your O may enjoy chasing his lunch on occasion, but feeders can introduce all kinds of bacteria and parasites in to your tank.

150g George(the teacup oscar), Macy(the severum),Paul(tiger oscar), and King Ralph(striped raphael catfish)
55g Bruce (RDx?)
sprout

Postby girlshannonh » Sat May 26, 2007 11:08 pm

We do quarantine the feeders....we really dont give him live food that much, because he doesnt always eat them all... after eating the first few, he kills the others and spits out most of them. When we bought the algae eater at the aquarium store, the salesman there picked one for us that was quite a bit smaller than the others....he was the only one in the tank that was spotted(he's black, with white spots, like a leopard almost) he told us that he would not get as big as the others.... Did this guy know what he was talking about, or just trying to make a sale?? Should we keep our Oscar by himself if he is in a 55 gallon tank? We really dont have the room to put him in a bigger tank........
girlshannonh
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby stevo » Sat May 26, 2007 11:23 pm

Ive got the same type pleco as you i think and hes been around for at least 2 years that i know of he is my cousins old fish. Im certain hes fully grown and hes less than an inch long. Hes a good fish ive tried feeding him but he dosent want a bar of it. Hes happy to just eat the sludge from the bottem of the tank.
cheers stevo
stevo
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby gyroflare » Sun May 27, 2007 12:47 am

stevo said that his is two years old and less than an inch long.
so i guess you can keep him.
70g oscar
gyroflare
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby sprout » Sun May 27, 2007 11:40 am

No keeping any other fish in a 55 gallon tank with an Oscar is not good advice. The Oscar needs every ounce of that water to dilute his waste.
To find out exactly what kind of catfish you have you can go to http://www.planetcatfish.com . It is important to know what you bought. Different species of pleco have specific dietary requirements.

55g Bruce (RDx?)
sprout

Return to Oscar Fish Help & Advice