Red Crabs in my Oscar tank

Post questions you have about keeping Oscars here.

Red Crabs in my Oscar tank

Postby GHawsJR » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:08 am

I put two Red Crabs in my oscar tank. They seem to be doing well and eating all the crap from the bottom. Does that pose a problem later?
GHawsJR
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby WyoJames » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:16 am

ummmm, they are freshwater crabs right?
55 Gal - Lutino Oscar "JD"
75 Gal - Red Tiger Oscar "Turk"
WyoJames
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby oscarANDminus » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:28 am

What size tank?
oscarANDminus
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby tiny » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:29 am

well i hope they are freshwater crabs

and two crabs can escape so make sure there are zero holes in the lid

and three oscars love crabs , they are crunchy and delisious
-think for yourself, question authority-
spay and neuter your pet. 5 billion homelss animals will thank you
http://www.noclownsinacube.net/
tiny
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby GHawsJR » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:34 am

Im not going to say the tank size because I dont want everyone to worked up... But ya, they are freshwater crabs. They are still living fine and are eating bottom feeder pelets. The oscars are like 1.5" at the moment so they do not currently pose much of a threat. I dont mind if they do eat the crabs though...
GHawsJR
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby tiny » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:51 am

so this must still be the 30 gallon you talked abotu in another thread, you should really stop spending money on new fish and start saving for a new tank. youve asked about tank mates before and were told not to get any and try to get a bigger tank. ? whats the point of asking for advice if your not going to listen ?

if youc ant afford a bigger tank then please take the fish to the fish store. there are many other fish that you can put in a 30 gallon.

you can always buy an oscar when you can afford a proper tank

I dont mind if they do eat the crabs though...
talking like this is not acceptable, fish are not throw away pets why spend the money if you dotn care what happens to them? if you dont care about them fish then you shouldnt keep them
tiny
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby tiny » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:54 am

so what happened to your 6.5 inch oscar in the 40 gallon ?
tiny
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby Beano » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:09 am

GHawsJR wrote:Im not going to say the tank size because I dont want everyone to worked up...

Surely saying nothing at all would have worked better in not getting anyone worked up!

When I was a newbie to oscars, I had a single oscar in a 20g. I treated it like a god, water maintained once per week (which at that time I thought was enough, because that's what the LFS said was ok). I didn't have a test kit then. It died when it got to 5 inches. I noticed a day before it died it had scratches on it's head which I now believe to be injuries from flashing due to poor water quality.

I can tell you now, all of your O's are not going to survive in a 30g.
"Other people are quite dreadful. The only possible society is oneself. To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance, Phipps." An Ideal Husband - Oscar Wilde.
Beano
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby New_Oscar_Guy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:04 am

tiny wrote:talking like this is not acceptable, fish are not throw away pets why spend the money if you dotn care what happens to them? if you dont care about them fish then you shouldnt keep them

so why do we use the term diter fish or target fish???
Tank: 220gal
Filters: 2x Fluval FX5
Fish: 5x IT Dats, 1x NTT Dat, 1x Red Oscar, 1x Spotted Gar, 1x Redtail Payara, 1x Fei Feng, 1x Gold Nugget Pleco, 1x Frog Leopard Pleco

If you can't tell, I am addicted to preds.
New_Oscar_Guy
Aequidens rivulatus

Postby texasgirl » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:30 am

New_Oscar_Guy wrote:so why do we use the term diter fish or target fish???

Dithers are just fish that add life and movement to a somewhat dead tank, like a big tank with a single oscar.
texasgirl
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby New_Oscar_Guy » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:56 am

texasgirl wrote:Dithers are just fish that add life and movement to a somewhat dead tank, like a big tank with a single oscar.

and they are also expected to get chased and beat up and even eaten by the Oscar, sometimes they dont it all depends on the Oscar, the same goes with the crabs, they can be fun to watch and add some life to the tank but if they get beat up or eaten it is an acceptable loss, but since the crabs are in there while the Os are babies they might grow up to be able to live with the Oscar.

but you really need to get a bigger aquarium the soon the better, but you still have a few months before it is really needed, unless I am misinformed about your stock...
Tank: 220gal
Filters: 2x Fluval FX5
Fish: 5x IT Dats, 1x NTT Dat, 1x Red Oscar, 1x Spotted Gar, 1x Redtail Payara, 1x Fei Feng, 1x Gold Nugget Pleco, 1x Frog Leopard Pleco

If you can't tell, I am addicted to preds.
New_Oscar_Guy
Aequidens rivulatus

Postby tiny » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:42 pm

New_Oscar_Guy wrote:
texasgirl wrote:Dithers are just fish that add life and movement to a somewhat dead tank, like a big tank with a single oscar.

and they are also expected to get chased and beat up and even eaten by the Oscar, sometimes they dont it all depends on the Oscar, the same goes with the crabs, they can be fun to watch and add some life to the tank but if they get beat up or eaten it is an acceptable loss, but since the crabs are in there while the Os are babies they might grow up to be able to live with the Oscar.

but you really need to get a bigger aquarium the soon the better, but you still have a few months before it is really needed, unless I am misinformed about your stock...
dither fish are not susposed to get eaten . it some times happens if we dont pick apropriate dithers .
tiny
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby Kortana » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:58 pm

I had 2 red claw crabs with my O's. They did great, didn't escape and 2 days later I found them dead. I don't know if something was wrong with them or if the O's killed them for fun but I won't go there again.
Kortana
Apistogramma agassizii

Postby OscarbitteninOhio » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:14 pm

Most of the crabs sold in stores are not aquatic crabs at all, they are terrestrial crabs who need dry land. Fiddler crabs are a prime example. They can not live in water all the time, they need dry land. And when they are in water, it is brackish water as they are coastal crabs that live along the beachline.

I am not sure about the Red Claw crab, but I will do some checking.

For sure, stop buying fish and get a bigger tank. A 30 gallon tank is not place for an Oscar.

OBIO

From a quick search for info on the Red Claw...they do better in brackish water as opposed to fresh water. They have a great need for calcium to develop new exoskeletons, so you better find a way to supplement that need. All in all, not a great pick for a fresh water tank.
Brutus, Chihuahua/Terrier mix
Hazel, Chihuahua
30gal, 10gal, 5gal
OscarbitteninOhio
Advice Team
Advice Team

Postby unicknn » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:57 pm

when i didnt know anything about running aquariums I put a big sand crab from the beach in the tank thinking it was big enough to not get eaten. WRONG hose oscars tore that crab up. 1 of them tried to eat a crab leg that was longer then him and we had to get the leg out because it looked like he was choking on it. Ill never put another crab in the tank with my oscar.
unicknn
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby GHawsJR » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:00 am

Ok, I was asking advice because I did want to know. The problem isnt money, I could get a bigger fish tank. The only thing is I am in college and I can not bring a 55 gallon into my on campus apartment. The Oscars are very small right now and im planning on selling them back to a local tropical fish store at the end of the semester.
GHawsJR
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby Beano » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:12 am

you'll probably have an easier time selling them back to the store while they are small still. I don't know about there, but here, no one wants a big O - they're harder to sell.
"Other people are quite dreadful. The only possible society is oneself. To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance, Phipps." An Ideal Husband - Oscar Wilde.
Beano
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby Ashie0902 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:13 am

GHawsJR wrote:Ok, I was asking advice because I did want to know. The problem isnt money, I could get a bigger fish tank. The only thing is I am in college and I can not bring a 55 gallon into my on campus apartment. The Oscars are very small right now and im planning on selling them back to a local tropical fish store at the end of the semester.

Whats the point in having fish that are cramped in a tank when you can have a very pretty and social community tank? Those oscars in a few months will have grown quite a bit,
Ruff estimate, 1.5 oscar -10ish gallons for waste to be diluted (working from size of a 12inch oscar). So..... since these fish grow at crazy rates, you will be overstocked horribly in 2-3weeks or so, ammonia will rise, causing disease in your fish tank, nitrates will be at a constant high no matter how much maintance you do and you will have unhealthy fish, keep them in there till the end of the semester will result in stunting, what fish store is going to buy stunted, unhealthy oscars (who I assume will end up what a bad case of hith) when they can order in nice healthy ones? There also isn't as large a market for large oscars as there is for the smaller ones, so thats another problem that you will have to contend with.
You know that tank is to small, so why on earth are you continuing to keep those fish in it, it is CRUEL, not to mention UNNECESSARY.
If its cichlids your after, why not a couple of convicts or along those lines? Why chose fish that you may, and will probably kill just for the sake of 'liking' them?
Like them so much, return them and get a smaller species that you have researched. The whole point of fish keeping is to enjoy the hobby, are you really going to enjoy watching your fish slowly suffering and being picked off one by one? Never mind the constant battle to keep your water readings within reason, a battle that you will very soon lose.
A 30g is no place for 1 oscar for more than a few months when it is tiny, it is no place for 3 EVER :evil:

Ashleigh
Once a loachaholic always a loachaholic :D
Ashie0902
Aequidens rivulatus

Postby WyoJames » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:03 pm

Ashie0902 wrote:Whats the point in having fish that are cramped in a tank when you can have a very pretty and social community tank?

i really don't think there is a point to it, lol, just ignorance and lack of responsibility.

i'm in college, was in the dorms last year, we couldn't have a tank bigger than 20gal. well, i had a 29 gal, and originally stocked it with oscars (before i knew what i was doing), but, once i learned the needs of oscars, i took them back and set up a nice african community that I was very happy with (with all the babies they had, they must have been happy too, lol). but, i waited until i was in my own place where i could have the proper sized tank for an oscar before i started raising one.

i feel a fish should not suffer just because of the owner's stubbornness
and 'its because i'm in college' is not a valid excuse
55 Gal - Lutino Oscar "JD"
75 Gal - Red Tiger Oscar "Turk"
WyoJames
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby Kortana » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:28 pm

OscarbitteninOhio wrote:Most of the crabs sold in stores are not aquatic crabs at all, they are terrestrial crabs who need dry land. Fiddler crabs are a prime example. They can not live in water all the time, they need dry land. And when they are in water, it is brackish water as they are coastal crabs that live along the beachline.

I am not sure about the Red Claw crab, but I will do some checking.

For sure, stop buying fish and get a bigger tank. A 30 gallon tank is not place for an Oscar.

OBIO

From a quick search for info on the Red Claw...they do better in brackish water as opposed to fresh water. They have a great need for calcium to develop new exoskeletons, so you better find a way to supplement that need. All in all, not a great pick for a fresh water tank.

I forgot to mention this but sadly a month after they died I had found out they were terrestrial as you had mentioned. I would never have guessed because the store had them in a full tank.
Kortana
Apistogramma agassizii

Postby Kortana » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:29 pm

Beano wrote:you'll probably have an easier time selling them back to the store while they are small still. I don't know about there, but here, no one wants a big O - they're harder to sell.

That's very true. On top of that, most people want to raise any pet from the "baby" stage.
Kortana
Apistogramma agassizii

Postby GHawsJR » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:17 pm

Well I liked the Oscar because they are active and have personality. Is there any other fish you could all recommend that is active and has personality? I got the Oscars at PetsMart so I have a 14 day return policy. If you could steer me in the direction of active fish with some personality that would be good. Thanks for all the advice.
GHawsJR
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby G » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:58 pm

Like someone mentioned, Convicts are fun. Bolivian Rams stay small, and could be stocked with some schooling fish. You could also do a planted betta tank, a community, lots of options are open. :D
G
Advice Team
Advice Team

Postby GHawsJR » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:21 am

Ok, well I took everyones advice and returned the Oscars. I got 2 tiny convicts and 1 firemouth cichlid instead. They seem to be doing much better in the tank. The water doesnt get that dirty so fast either. It is kind of nice. So anyone got any good advice with these fish? How fast do they grow?
GHawsJR
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby t_chelle16 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:16 am

So anyone got any good advice with these fish?

Um . . . return one of them. Especially if the cons are a male & female.

-Chelle
20 gallon - figure 8 puffer
55 gallon - 3 clown loaches, 1 synodontis cat, 3 spotted silver dollars, 1 gold severum, tiger barbs
75 gallon - Sherbert
t_chelle16
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Next

Return to Oscar Fish Help & Advice