My Oscar stopped growing!!!

Post questions you have about keeping Oscars here.

My Oscar stopped growing!!!

Postby felozigy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:36 pm

I have a 55 gallon tank and two Oscars. I had my Albino tiger first and then got my reg. tiger a few weeks later. My albino was always much bigger and fuller looking and our black tiger was always funny looking like his head was larger than the rest of his body. Anyways, we have had them since about May and our Black oscar is about 5 inches now and our albino is only about 3 inches. It seems like our Albino just stopped growing. Is there such thing as a dwarf Oscar?

BTW, it has nothing to do with weather he is getting enough food or not. I make sure that they are both fed well. Their water is perfect as well. If you have any idea why this is happening can you please let me know.

Thank you. :) - no negative comments please.- :)
felozigy
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Postby oscarANDminus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:39 pm

I'm sure it is possible to have a dwarf fish, just as there are dwarf other animals.

I'm not trying to be negative, but what exactly are your water parameters? What are the readings for the water that you claim is perfect?
User avatar
oscarANDminus
Astronotus ocellatus
 
Posts: 3010
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Minnesota

Postby Rocky32189 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:51 pm

It may have to do with the fact that your tank is overstocked. 55 Gallons is barely enough for one Oscar, never mind two.
User avatar
Rocky32189
Apistogramma agassizii
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:40 pm

Postby sprout » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:58 pm

Well to avoid being negative, I'll just point you to the articles section of this site and suggest you take some time to read it. And the only other comment I'll make for you is this. Most of us come here to learn to help our fish, and in the process maybe help some one else.
Kmuda wrote:Someone broke out the crack pipe with that advice. :roll:

150g George(the teacup oscar), Macy(the severum),Paul(tiger oscar), and King Ralph(striped raphael catfish)
75g Thing One (Chocolate Cichlid)
55g Bruce (RDx?)
User avatar
sprout
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 9013
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:08 am
Location: California Md

Postby illinibruin » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:20 pm

i don't think it's overstocked now because the O's are still little. post your water parameters so we can tell if your water is bad.
135 gallon

1 0scar, 1 green tex,
User avatar
illinibruin
Astronotus ocellatus
 
Posts: 1224
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:29 pm
Location: pekin, illinois

Postby Omar 69 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:50 pm

illinibruin wrote:i don't think it's overstocked now because the O's are still little. post your water parameters so we can tell if your water is bad.


Yep thats true. Overstocked is if they both were 7 - 10.

But Im starting to think that some fish will not grow their grow rate becuase the lack of good water in most LFS.
55 G - Tosco Home, 11'' Tiger Oscar.
30 G - Reef
- If you don't dive, you haven't live.-
Omar 69
Astronotus ocellatus
 
Posts: 1397
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:29 pm
Location: Puerto Rico (orgullo boricua)

Postby Squeaky » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:29 pm

"But Im starting to think that some fish will not grow their grow rate becuase the lack of good water in most LFS."

I've never thought of this quote Omar, but you may be onto something!
Lori Anne
AHT/RVT
Beaker-Chihuahua (2kg!)
Mr. Echo-Border Collie/Husky/Lab
Squeaky-DSH Cat, my BABY
Zephyr-DSH Cat, Squeaky's niece
Fish! Many, many Fish
User avatar
Squeaky
Symphysodon discus
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:52 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Postby oscarANDminus » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:30 pm

Well, that is why I asked for his water parameters. :?
User avatar
oscarANDminus
Astronotus ocellatus
 
Posts: 3010
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:50 pm
Location: Minnesota

Postby OscarbitteninOhio » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:28 pm

There is no such thing as a dwarf Oscar. Not unless it has hit the market in the last 2 or 3 days, as I am always on line researching fish and have not seen any references to a Dwarf Oscar. And Dwarf Cichlids are one group of fish that I spend a great deal of time researching.

How big were the Oscars when you got them? You have had them 4 months, so they should have grown around 4 inches, plus or minus a tad. If they were really small when you got them, 1 to 1.5 inches, then they are pretty much on track growth wise. If they were larger than that, then something along the line has slowed down their growth.

And that something is most likely poor water quality. While it is possible for the poor water quality in most LFS to be the culprit, I doubt the fish were there long enough to sustain long term damage, unless the LFS has a very slow sales rate.

What are the actual readings for your "perfect" water conditions. Many folks have come to this site saying their water was perfect when in fact it was horrible. Please test your parameters for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, Ph, temp and let us know them.

Also, what have you been feeding, how much and how often? How often do you do tank cleanings and water changes and how much water at a time? How often do you maintain your filters and how do you do it?

Give us this info and we can then help you with you problem.

OBIO
Brutus, Chihuahua/Terrier mix
Hazel, Chihuahua
30gal, 10gal, 5gal
User avatar
OscarbitteninOhio
Advice Team
Advice Team
 
Posts: 5378
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:24 am
Location: Ohio

Postby felozigy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:13 am

OscarbitteninOhio wrote:There is no such thing as a dwarf Oscar. Not unless it has hit the market in the last 2 or 3 days, as I am always on line researching fish and have not seen any references to a Dwarf Oscar. And Dwarf Cichlids are one group of fish that I spend a great deal of time researching.

How big were the Oscars when you got them? You have had them 4 months, so they should have grown around 4 inches, plus or minus a tad. If they were really small when you got them, 1 to 1.5 inches, then they are pretty much on track growth wise. If they were larger than that, then something along the line has slowed down their growth.

And that something is most likely poor water quality. While it is possible for the poor water quality in most LFS to be the culprit, I doubt the fish were there long enough to sustain long term damage, unless the LFS has a very slow sales rate.

What are the actual readings for your "perfect" water conditions. Many folks have come to this site saying their water was perfect when in fact it was horrible. Please test your parameters for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, Ph, temp and let us know them.

Also, what have you been feeding, how much and how often? How often do you do tank cleanings and water changes and how much water at a time? How often do you maintain your filters and how do you do it?

Give us this info and we can then help you with you problem.

OBIO


We bought our Albino Oscar on May 30th. I had just checked the dates. The Albino (Ozzy) was about 2 inches long when we got him. We got the black tiger (Vinny) 2 weeks later, he was 1 1/2 inches. Vinny has passed Ozzy in size like you wouldn't believe.

I tested just my water and the ph was between 7.0 - 7.2, The Nitrite was below 0.3 and the Amonia level was at zero. The temp is at a steady 78* and my fish look happy and healthy. They are always happy to come up and say hi. *i do not have a test for Nitrates.

I feed them 1 to 2x /day They started out eating Omega One shrimp pellets and i now have them on Hikari Cichlid Gold. I feed them frozen Misus shrimp once in a while too.

We change about 20% of the water every few weeks by using a tank vacuum. I have a double bio wheel filter and we clean the filters in tank water that we remove from the tank durring cleaning (it is clean) for a few tank cleanings then we put new ones in. My tank went through new tank syndrome right after i set it up and it lasted a few weeks and my fish were fine. That was a while ago.

So from what you can see can you tell me that there is a reason that my fish is way smaller than the other? I just do not understand why one fish would grow and the other not.

Thanks for your help.
felozigy
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Postby felozigy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:17 am

Rocky32189 wrote:It may have to do with the fact that your tank is overstocked. 55 Gallons is barely enough for one Oscar, never mind two.


Do you like attention?
felozigy
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Postby Donger » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:39 am

You might want to increase your water changes. I do 2 25% water changes a week and I have one tiger in a 55 gallon. As I've read on this site, a 55 is bare minimum for one O and mine is now about 5 inches. Your nitrate levels may explain your albino slowing down in growth rate, but it doesn't explain your tiger still growing. I'd figure it would effect both fish. Sorry I wasn't much help, maybe somebody else will have a better explanation or remedy.
Donger
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:09 pm

Postby felozigy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:43 am

Donger wrote:You might want to increase your water changes. I do 2 25% water changes a week and I have one tiger in a 55 gallon. As I've read on this site, a 55 is bare minimum for one O and mine is now about 5 inches. Your nitrate levels may explain your albino slowing down in growth rate, but it doesn't explain your tiger still growing. I'd figure it would effect both fish. Sorry I wasn't much help, maybe somebody else will have a better explanation or remedy.


Thank you for your input. I will try to do more frequent water changes...who knows, it might help my Albino. What would you say is wrong with my nitrite levels?
felozigy
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Postby tiny » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:46 am

your oscars growth has stop because of the following two reasons , over stocked tank and possible water quality
please test your water and post the actual numbers fromt he results

we need results for
ammonia
nitrate
nitrite
ph

even tho the fish are still some what small they are still createing a huge bioload and if you are over feeding even a tiny bit and not doing at least one water change a week then that will have a huge affect on the health and growth of your fish
-think for yourself, question authority-
spay and neuter your pet. 5 billion homelss animals will thank you
http://www.noclownsinacube.net/
tiny
Astronotus ocellatus
 
Posts: 4575
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 10:21 am
Location: MN

Postby Donger » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:48 am

You may be going through a mini cycle, as I've just noticed your nitrite levels are around .3. Ideally, they should be at 0. How vigorously do you clean your filters? If you clean too much, you'll remove some of the nitrifying bacteria. I did this once and my tank went through a mini-cycle. Now, I just shake the pads in the old aquarium water for about 10-15 seconds. This removes the loose poo/dirt and keeps the bacteria pretty much intact.
Donger
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:09 pm

Postby felozigy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:53 am

tiny wrote:your oscars growth has stop because of the following two reasons , over stocked tank and possible water quality
please test your water and post the actual numbers fromt he results

we need results for
ammonia
nitrate
nitrite
ph

even tho the fish are still some what small they are still createing a huge bioload and if you are over feeding even a tiny bit and not doing at least one water change a week then that will have a huge affect on the health and growth of your fish


As you might see, i posted all of my water levels above. I just did them .
felozigy
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Postby tiny » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:56 am

sorry didnt see them



please get a nitrate test as soon as you can this will help us fiqure out if you are going through a mini cycle


have you recently clean any of the filter media lately ? if so how did you do it
-think for yourself, question authority-
spay and neuter your pet. 5 billion homelss animals will thank you
http://www.noclownsinacube.net/
tiny
Astronotus ocellatus
 
Posts: 4575
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 10:21 am
Location: MN

Postby felozigy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:57 am

Donger wrote:You may be going through a mini cycle, as I've just noticed your nitrite levels are around .3. Ideally, they should be at 0. How vigorously do you clean your filters? If you clean too much, you'll remove some of the nitrifying bacteria. I did this once and my tank went through a mini-cycle. Now, I just shake the pads in the old aquarium water for about 10-15 seconds. This removes the loose poo/dirt and keeps the bacteria pretty much intact.


I did not say that my nitrite levels were around 0.3 i said that they are below. I would say more like 0.1 to be precise. I shake my filters in the tank water i can't honestly answer you how long i do this for. I might add that i do have a duo bio wheel that i do not touch.
felozigy
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Postby felozigy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:59 am

tiny wrote:sorry didnt see them



please get a nitrate test as soon as you can this will help us fiqure out if you are going through a mini cycle


have you recently clean any of the filter media lately ? if so how did you do it


I will do that thanks. :)

The last clean i did i rinsed my filters in used tank water. I do not touch the bio wheels.
felozigy
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Postby tiny » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:00 am

any reading of nitrites is bad and usualy indicates a mini cycle

a cycled tank should have a reading of 0 nitrites
-think for yourself, question authority-
spay and neuter your pet. 5 billion homelss animals will thank you
http://www.noclownsinacube.net/
tiny
Astronotus ocellatus
 
Posts: 4575
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 10:21 am
Location: MN

Postby felozigy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:02 am

here are some pics of Ozzy...as you can see, he is a happy healthy fish.

Image

Image

Image
felozigy
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Postby Donger » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 am

Here's an idea..What type of substrate do you use? I have a mixture of play sand and fine (meaning very small) aquarium sand. That forces me to do twice weekly water changes. The sight of poo on top of the sand is too much for me. I use a turkey baster to pick up the large chunks, and vacuum the rest while doing the water change. That way you won't forget to do WCs. :D
Last edited by Donger on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donger
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:09 pm

Postby felozigy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 am

tiny wrote:any reading of nitrites is bad and usualy indicates a mini cycle

a cycled tank should have a reading of 0 nitrites


Ok, i want to fix this so how would i go about doing that?
felozigy
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Postby felozigy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:07 am

Donger wrote:Here's an idea..What type of substrate do you use? I have a mixture of play sand and fine (meaning very small) aquarium sand. That forces me to do twice weekly water changes. The sight of poo on top of the sand is too much for me. I use a turkey baster to pick up the large chunks, and vacuum the rest while doing the gravel change. That way you won't forget to do WCs. :D


I have gravel. I didn't find out until after we set up our tank and had the fish in that Oscars like sand better. They seem to like the gravel though. They scoop it up in their mouths and move it around. It is really neat watching them. :)
felozigy
Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Postby tiny » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:16 am

the gravel is just fine and know one really knows if the oscars like the sand better because they dont really talk to us about that :wink: its mostly the owners who prefer the sand , gravel is just fine so dont worry about that .

as far as the nitrites the best this to do is daily partial water changes.

and purchase a nitrate kit asap because we really need ot know that reading too to see if you need ot do big or small changes and how far along int he mini cycle you are

also the only way to 100 percetn cure your tank problesm is going ot be either purchaseing alrger tank or finding new homes for all but one fish

an over stocked tank turns into a fish nightmare sooner or later . with constant battle sof disease , stunting the growth of the fish , and ultimately affecting the health and life span of the fish .
-think for yourself, question authority-
spay and neuter your pet. 5 billion homelss animals will thank you
http://www.noclownsinacube.net/
tiny
Astronotus ocellatus
 
Posts: 4575
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 10:21 am
Location: MN

Next

Return to Oscar Fish Help & Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests