My Oscar is floating and bobbing at the top of the tank

Post questions you have about keeping Oscars here.

My Oscar is floating and bobbing at the top of the tank

Postby Moby2 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:27 pm

The other night this is the second time my oscar has jumped out of a very small opening in the back of the tank. The first time he was out of the tank for about 30 minutes and in a day or two came back to normal. My husband found him again the other morning and he seems to be unable to leave the top of the tank. He is bobbing with the water, and has no way for some reason to get down. This is my first Oscar and he is almost 2 years old and he is very attentive to me from the time I walk in the door.
Can someone please tell me what to do for him. He can't eat, he tries but, unable to get the food. I have tried feeding him from my hands and putting it in front of him but, he still is not feeding....I don't want my Moby to die. Help anyone that can!!
Moby2
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby captclams » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:35 pm

The obvious assumption is that the lack of oxygen and the physical shock of falling have taken a terrible toll on your O. At this point the only thing you can do to increase his oxygen intake is to move him manually through the water to force it through his gills. I hate to be pessimistic but after two (and at least one of them lengthy) periods of oxygen deprivation I'd fear the worst for his survival.
captclams
Astronotus ocellatus

Return to Oscar Fish Help & Advice