Oscar laying on bottom of tank

Post questions you have about keeping Oscars here.

Oscar laying on bottom of tank

Postby tmchapman » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:09 am

I had a question about my oscar. Right now I have an oscar that is laying on the bottom of the tank. There are two things that we have thought of that could be the cause of him not looking to good. The first was that we made a move a few weeks ago. And we had to move him from his tank to a carrying tank for about 24 hours. I made sure that he had his filter in the water with him, but it seems to have stressed him. He is still eating, but I know that he was alittle bit stressed. The second thing that we did was feed him some gold fish. We gave him about 10...didn't realize that it shouldn't be their many food till I read your site. It was after he has eaten most of these that he started laying on the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure if he ate to many of them at a time, or if its that he got ahold of one that was to big for him. Any help on this would be greatly appricated.

Thank you

Tina
tmchapman
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby rezelee » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:49 am

Before I knew not to feed my oscars feeder fish my husband and I would drop quite a few of feeders in the tank. My oscars would go nuts and eat them all. They are such pigs that they could not let one live so they would eat as many as they could fit in there mouths and then lay bloated at the bottom of the tank. :(
Now I know better. Mine get 2 kinds of Hikari food, cichlid sticks and as a occasional treat crickets, shrimp and worms. I think that the problem was to many feeders. I have no idea if the move could have affected him in the same way. Someone here will know though! Renee
rezelee
Aequidens rivulatus

Postby flobadon » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:35 am

I'd also be willing to bet he's just having a hard time with all those feeders. If he doesn't seem to be going poop, try giving him a shelled pea to aid him along in passing all of those feeders. :)
flobadon
Aequidens rivulatus

Postby Theobald Brooks » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:03 pm

Don't worry, Tina. Most Oscar owners start out just like yourself. Then they come here, get "skooled" and their fish are better off. I agree that he just ate too many feeders. He'll be fine.

Stop feeding him feeders. Start feeding him pellets. He may not want them at first since he's use to feeders, but he'll learn.

What size tank and how large is the O?
Hope... The Enemy Of Satisfaction.
Theobald Brooks
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Return to Oscar Fish Help & Advice