oscars fighting or mating???

Post questions you have about keeping Oscars here.

oscars fighting or mating???

Postby princessk24j » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:27 pm

I have 2 oscars. One is a tiger and he's pretty big, the other is an albino and he's medium size. They have been in a 29 gallon tank and now are in a 75 gallon. I also have a Jack dempsey,a blue striped cichlid & a bumblebee cichlid. All of the fish have lived together good. Now the albino will start twitching and stuff in front of the big oscar and like "shakes it's ass" at it. Then they like go at each others mouths and stuff. I don't know if they are fighting or mating. They have always stayed together in the tank side by side. Can anyone help??? If they aren't mating, how do i know when they do.
princessk24j
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby conny1908 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:06 pm

Put a piece of slate tile in the tank. The best way to find out if they're mating or fighting is to see if they'll lay eggs, I guess. :wink:
conny1908
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby Tylermurri4444 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:42 pm

They are not mating!

1# I had a red oscar, and a little pink white oscar in a fifty gallon tank. Had to take the albino back.

2# I had a red, tiger, and a Jack demsey. Red killed tiger. JD killed Red
Tylermurri4444
Symphysodon discus

Postby conny1908 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:17 pm

Tylermurri4444 wrote:They are not mating!

1# I had a red oscar, and a little pink white oscar in a fifty gallon tank. Had to take the albino back.

2# I had a red, tiger, and a Jack demsey. Red killed tiger. JD killed Red

What's your point?
conny1908
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby Tylermurri4444 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:23 pm

They did their little shaking tale thing and killed each other. I think it's aggression. angry fish.

red oscar beat the crap out of the albino.

JD did not kill red, just beat it beyond recognition.

my point is that I think they are fighting.
Tylermurri4444
Symphysodon discus

Postby princessk24j » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:07 pm

Tylermurri4444 wrote:They did their little shaking tale thing and killed each other. I think it's aggression. angry fish.

red oscar beat the crap out of the albino.

JD did not kill red, just beat it beyond recognition.

my point is that I think they are fighting.

They have been together for a couple of years and have stuck together. Even when they changed tanks they were like brothers and always swam together,especially against other fish. Why all of the sudden would they stop liking each other and fighting?
princessk24j
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby Tylermurri4444 » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:38 pm

A couple years? I'm probably wrong then.
Tylermurri4444
Symphysodon discus

Postby conny1908 » Thu May 15, 2003 9:50 pm

I moved my 7" tiger (Spot) and my 9" red (Copper) into their new 135g a couple of weeks ago. Everything was peaceful until yesterday, when Spot started picking on Copper again. He pushes him around and charges at him with his mouth open until Copper lip-locks with him.

There is no tail shaking or gill-flaring prior to these altercations and in between fights they rub against each other and swim together as if nothing happened. Apart from abrasions on their lips, they haven't hurt each other (yet?!).

Does this sound like mating aggression?

I'm concerned because I read somewhere that oscars test each others' strength in mating rituals and that the weaker one can get killed. :shock: Shall I intervene? Or just let nature take its course?? What would you do???
conny1908
Astronotus ocellatus

Postby misslissa » Fri May 16, 2003 12:39 am

just becausee they have been together so long doesnt mean one day they arent going to start fighting. Oscars are very territorial as they get older. I had 5 in a 30 gal from the time they were an inch big. eventually i had to take the 2 tigers back to the store cause they were too aggressive, then an albino......now im left to separate my red o. and the other albino cause they are going on 8inches. besides, they've outgrown their tank. but yes, they are very territorial, and they can really cause damage to each other.

another scenario, they grew up in the 30gal right? they weret so agressive that young right? then u put them in a new bigger tank and though they didnt fight before, they are fighting now because they want to prove "who's tank this is" make sense?
misslissa
Microgeophagus ramirezi

fighting

Postby julesgmp » Fri May 16, 2003 2:24 am

With my short experience with my oscars, female shakes or shivers, do a major liplocking, rub against each other for days and within a week I have eggs. Like Conny said, put a peice if slate in the tank and see what happens.............
julesgmp
Symphysodon discus

Postby conny1908 » Fri May 16, 2003 1:30 pm

misslissa wrote:another scenario, they grew up in the 30gal right? they weret so agressive that young right? then u put them in a new bigger tank and though they didnt fight before, they are fighting now because they want to prove "who's tank this is" make sense?

Uhmm... well.... actually I said they are in a 135 gal, not a 30g. The rest of the scenario is correct except that they were best buddies again in their new bigger home until two days ago.
conny1908
Astronotus ocellatus

Re: fighting

Postby conny1908 » Fri May 16, 2003 1:33 pm

julesgmp wrote:With my short experience with my oscars, female shakes or shivers, do a major liplocking, rub against each other for days and within a week I have eggs. Like Conny said, put a peice if slate in the tank and see what happens.............

Hi Julie :D

Mine have a nice clean piece of slate in the corner where their driftwood is. I guess all I can do is wait and hope for the best... like I told PrincessK :wink: .
conny1908
Astronotus ocellatus

Return to Oscar Fish Help & Advice