Do Oscars NEED Heaters?

Post questions you have about keeping Oscars here.

Do Oscars NEED Heaters?

Postby dkspeakers » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:45 am

Just wondering for a couple reasons, first, I bought my Albino from a very reputable store and he was in a non heated tank, the clerk said it was fine and I just need to adjust the fish to my heated water slowly. Second, my heaters are very loud when they turn on and off, I am kept up at night from them. and also my Oscars run into them and bump them a lot, I don't want them to break and send a 120 Volt surge through the water and kill my fish. Thanks
dkspeakers
Symphysodon discus

Postby Gupper » Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:59 am

The LFS I worked at didn't have heaters in 98% of the tanks either, but the furnace was set at 78 (they figured it's cheaper to heat the whole place than all the individual tanks). If you can maintain a steady 76-78F in your tanks you could get away without one, but if that's Bloomington IL you're at I'm sure you'll need one right about now ;).

If your heaters are making that much noise, there is something wrong with them. The most I ever head out of mine was if the house was absolutely silent and I had my head practically in the tank, I MIGHT hear a click. When you pick up a new heater ;) you can also get a heater guard to keep your fish from breaking it.

Should your Fish break your heater, I would suspect the breaker to trip before any harm was done, but I've always changed my fish stuff outlets to GFC (I think - something like that) outlets so that the outlet would trip immediately if there's a prob. You see these outlets in bathrooms and kitchens in newer construction all the time.
The preceding message was written by a leprechaun wearing a foil covered hat who was sharing a beer with the tooth fairy while hiding out in Area 51.
Gupper
NCTMB
NCTMB

Postby jblon78 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:02 am

Depending on where you live they may or may not need them. As long as the water will stay in the 75-80 range a heater is not mandatory but i have to say that i do prefer and recommend a heater just to help keep a more constant temp. For instance where you live it may be 90 degrees during the day and drop to 70 at night. Your tank without a heater will be doing the same thing which tends to be stressful. Personally i have never heard a heater turn on and off so loud to keep someone up at night. You may have something wrong with them but i am not completely sure. You might want to try a different brand and i would recommend ebo jager or tronic. Never had a problem with either. As far as your oscars bumping the heaters this is pretty typical behavior and i would recommend buying or fabricating a guard for it. Tronic actually sells really nice ones for their heaters and i know that big als sells them and so do petco. Hope this helps and good luck with your new fish.
jblon78
Apistogramma agassizii

Postby jblon78 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:05 am

Sorry gupper to sound like i copied your post. We must have been typing at the same time and you beat me. I happened to notice your sig said Joliet. Just thought i would mention i work out there at a car dealer.
jblon78
Apistogramma agassizii

Postby AmazonOscar » Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:18 am

theres something wrong with your heater. it's not supposed to make any noise... I think your heaters about to blow.

you could get quality heaters and cheap prices from bigals.
AmazonOscar
Apistogramma agassizii

Postby Saluki » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:50 am

You definitely need heaters. Oscars are tropical fish, and will not be comfortable if the temperature drops much below 75º F. This is true regardless of where you live. I doubt there are many places in the world that never drop below 75º F.

As said before, it sounds like you need new heaters. I have never heard a sound out of any of my heaters that was even audible more than a couple feet away.
Saluki

Postby dkspeakers » Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:49 pm

there is nothing wrong with my heaters I have had them for about 2 years and they have always done it, the wierd thing though is that they turn on for like only a minute and then turn off for a minute. It's a loud click when they turn on and off (very annoying). I don't want to buy new ones because I just spent like $200 on filter stuff.
dkspeakers
Symphysodon discus

Postby OzarkTheOscar » Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:02 pm

This might be a restatement of what people have said, but oh well :lol: :

What kind of heaters do you have? It might just be a junky brand. Also, there has to be something wrong with the heaters. I've never heard of a heater making noise. Perhaps a filter, but not a heater. Like many have said, it should only quietly click when it turns on. This sounds strange to me.

If you're worried about your fish breaking the heater, ask your LFS people if they can give/sell you a heater guard. Or perhaps you could get some PVC pipe (making sure to clean it well) and use that instead.

And yes, Oscars absolutely need heaters. They come from Central America. This equator location tends to also have very warm water. My fish had to suffer through random bursts of 68 degrees during a power outage last January, but I made sure to keep his tank warm. Oscars don't tolerate chilling very well, and will get rather sluggish in cold water.

Also, when you get into fishkeeping, especially with such a large fish, you should definately expect to shell out more money than you planned to. I've paid nearly $1,000 total in my whole fishkeeping experience, and plan to keep spending in the future. :D
OzarkTheOscar
Symphysodon discus

Postby dkspeakers » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:35 pm

The brand of heaters is Top Fin (I know not the best brand)
dkspeakers
Symphysodon discus

Postby CRG » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:55 pm

You may want to pick up an EboJager heater from BigAls. These heaters have proven to be reliable for many members and are reasonably priced at most online retailers.
CRG
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Postby burpbee » Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:13 pm

I have a top fin from petsmart and it is a clicky little bugger im going to get rid of it just my 2cents
burpbee
Microgeophagus ramirezi

Return to Oscar Fish Help & Advice