Anemone 1 25%
Total number of voters: 4
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Mixed reef vs Anemone tank...

Mixed reef vs Anemone tank... 8 months 1 week ago #71884

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
I have always been drawn to tanks that have multiple anemones housed successfully. Visually, they are awesome. Long colorful tentacles or short bubbled tentacles perched on a base of live rock, slowly swaying in the current. A clown or two cruising through the nem as if it were taken from a clip of BBC's blue planet. Currently, I'm about to grab fish for my 40g breeder but am still a ways away from buying my first coral or anemone. But now I really do wonder if I should keep things a tad more simple and go for a tank with just a few anemones (Bubble tip anemones). They can grow quite large and would fill a decent portion of the 40 if they do well, and would be visually pleasing. The interaction of a nem hosing a clown pair is something that I have always wanted. And if I did an anemone only tank, I wouldn't have to worry about them deciding to get up and walk across the tank one day, stinging everything in its path.

Or I could stick with the mixed reef tank. Get my zoas, palys, acans, canycanes, hammer and frogs... all the things that really have drawn me back in the first place.

I realize very few here are interested in salt tanks or know enough about them to give a meaningful vote. But I thought I'd poll anyway. Let me know what you guys think. At this moment, I'm stumped.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mixed reef vs Anemone tank... 8 months 1 week ago #71886

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 60
Considering the size of your tank, you're limited into which anemones you can go with. Some get fairly large.

I love reefs that have a mixture of a little bit of everything mixed in
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 yellow top finned Lawanda
2 male cobues, 1 cobue fry
6 female cobue peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis
1 electric yellow

5.5 Gallon
red finned, blue and white marbled Delta tail betta

30 gallon
3 males, 4 females

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Mixed reef vs Anemone tank... 8 months 1 week ago #71896

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
Indeed. If I were to stick to just anemones, I would probably be limited to either Long tentacles, Bubble tips, Sebae's or Condy's. Carpet nems, H. mags, definitely need a 75 or larger for life.

However, part of the reason I would plan to stick to just anemones is the flexibility of giving them all of the space of the tank. Bubble tips like to move around the tank after being first introduced. They like to move and find just the right flow and light. Awesome. Takes care of you having to watch it every single day and try to figure out if it's pissed off because the flow isn't right or it's not getting enough light - the nem will just move around until it's happy. But in the process it may sting the sh#t out of whatever is in it's path. I've read of disastrous stories of a nem getting antsy and moving from one end of a tank to another stinging all the corals in it's path to death or near death.

The draw for me is that I have not had success with anemones in the past. I tried a LTA and it did ok for a while but I eventually had to bring it back to the pet store bc my lighting wasn't strong enough for it. I tried a BTA as well and it just plain disappeared on me. It moved a few times and then one day I just couldn't find it. After that I was nervous to try another as I had lots of other corals in the tank and I didn't want to risk them.

An empty tank would allow me to experiment a bit, focus on the nem and really learn more about them.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds