Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 40 breeder Journal

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 9 months 2 weeks ago #71748

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 495
Ok, doors are mounted. They are not even, and they aren't going to be, but I'm just going to have to live with it. The way I mounted the hinges just prevents me from being able to adjust how the doors swing in and out. It bugs me... to like no end, but I can't do anything about it short of ripping off the inner trim and buying new hinges and trimming in a different way. It pains me to say but I think I'm just going to move on for the sake of getting this thing up and off the ground. Next time around I'll think this through better.

I also mounted door stoppers I guess you can call them and put heavy duty Velcro on to hold the doors shut. I did this on the side panels as well. Those will simply be panels I can pop off and back on fastened in with the Velcro on the top and bottom stoppers. I don't anticipate being in and out of the sides a lot but it's a nice option to have if I need to get a different angle on something in the sump. Hopefully have time tonight to trim the doors themselves and then think about paint.

"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 9 months 1 week ago #71774

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
OK I did some measuring and calculating here. My display is a 40 breeder so 36X 18 X2 should give me the number of gallons that will drain from the display in the event of a power outage. =5.6 gallons.

The recommended water level for my skimmer is 11 inches high so my first baffle will need to be 11 inches high. That leaves 5.5 inches above the tallest baffle. My sump is a 20 gallon hi so 24.5 X 12.5 X5.5 equals 7.29 gallons.

The last baffle won't be quite as high as the first so I will actually have more space than that available in the sump, so I should be covered there.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 9 months 1 week ago #71775

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
The stand is pretty much done. I think we are going to paint an off white color and distress the paint and then coat with a dark stain to accent the distressed areas. There are quite a few mismatch trim areas and the doors really bug me because they are not even, but I'm going to chalk it up to a learning process. I will do a lot more research before hand and figure out how I want to mount doors before committing to a method so as not to pin myself in a situation that I can't undo. Overall I'm quite happy with the product and cannot wait to move on and get this tank up and running.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 9 months 1 week ago #71783

Looking great! I wish I made panels like that on my stand. Would have made certain cleanings so much easier being able to pull off a side panel.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 9 months 1 week ago #71789

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Yea I'm hoping they will save me some headache.

Tank is drilled and I dry fit all the plumbing so should be good to go. I need to pick up a ball valve for the return pump but for the plumbing that's about it.

I'm going to cut some baffles for the sump next week and then it's on to water testing the bulk heads on the tank. :)

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 9 months 5 days ago #71795

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Plumbing. Historically not my greatest strength. But I gotta say guys this glass holes all in one kit makes things really easy. (www.glass-holes.com) The kit I ordered came with the overflow box, the bulkhead threads, gaskets and street elbow, and black vinyl tubing to go from the PVC elbow to your sump. Obviously it comes with the diamond coated hole saw (sized exactly for your particular setup) and a template that you can use to help guide you in drilling. Glass holes has a few videos on drilling on their website as well if you haven't done it before and those are helpful.

So I started by placing the overflow box in the tank and just eyeballing where I wanted it to be. I then matched the hole to the overflow box with the template on the outside which I then duct taped in place. I used a squirt bottle with some water to spray the glass and hole saw as I drilled to keep the glass cool. I went slow and honestly didn't apply that much pressure to the tank as I drilled. 90 seconds or so and we popped through.

As you can see, there are some small chips of glass that occur on the inside of the tank while drilling and that is normal. No bid deal. The gaskets cover those up nicely.

I dry fit everything first to make sure I had all my components and then went ahead and cut my tubing to fit and lubed the gaskets and applied pvc paste to my threaded pvc joints. Make sure to snug everything by hand, and don't over tighten. You want your gaskets to be able to flex a bit and over tightening inhibits this and can also cause the bulkheads to crack, since the threads are tapered.

I let everything dry overnight and gave it a water test this morning utilizing the sump (sans baffles). Perfect! Cutting the baffles tomorrow hopefully, getting some paint on the stand and then it will be time for sand and rock.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 9 months 4 days ago #71796

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
That's awesome man!! :thumbs:

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 9 months 4 days ago #71797

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Thanks. I'm going to swing by lowes today and grab a sheet of acrylic. Sounds like I should be able to make cuts with the table saw, but I'm getting mixed feedback about how clean the edges will be. My blade is pretty old so I may have to swap it out. I believe I have a new one in the garage somewhere just have to put it on.

So I'll drain the tank tonight, disconnect what I can of the plumbing, and move it to the side so we can paint the stand. If I get time I want to spray the tank (back side) black as well. Let everything dry and move the stand and tank to its final home and start prepping for aquascape. :)

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 9 months 3 days ago #71798

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Got a little more work done last night. I ended up buying two sheets of acrylic and using my old table saw blade to cut. The edges are not perfect but they are passable for sump baffles in my opinion.

I also bought what I thought was everything I needed to plumb in a ball valve off of the return pump, but it turns out that the pump outlet is a 1 inch and all of my other return PVC is three-quarter inch. I plan on coming straight up off the return pump with PVC to a 90° elbow to the ball valve and then to another 90 with an adapter for the vinyl tubing. I could've done PVC all the way up to the bulkhead but I already sealed in the vinyl tubing adapter into the bulkhead. Either way all I need is a 1 inch thread to three-quarter inch thread. Should just be one more piece or so.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 9 months 3 days ago #71799

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
I never had success with Glas ans acrylic with silicon as an permanent connection.
Still looks solid.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds