Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 40 breeder Journal

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 8 months 2 days ago #71688

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 493
Got some more done today. I took down the 20g. Moved the remaining fish over to the 125g, cleaned scrubbed and scrubbed some more. Had a little help here too. :)

Once I had the tank clean I filled it half up and ran the protein skimmer. I hadn't actually plugged it in since I bought it over a year ago so I needed a test run. At first it didn't do anything. So I took the face off and pulled the impeller out. Nothing appeared gunked up or damaged so I put it back together. It began running but would stutter quite a bit and stop flowing. I continued to just let it run and eventually it smoothed out. The skimmer is a beast. And its so big I'm not sure if I'm going to do baffles at all. Put a filter sock on the inflow, run that giant skimmer, heater, and then just return.

I cut the doors today. I used some 1x6 boards I had earmarked for something else... can't remember what now. Lol. The front two doors will take three 1x6's each glued and bracketed together. Probably do some trim around the edges too to match the stand. Gotta grab some hinges and handles, and trim as well. But getting somewhere anyway. The two openings on the sides will be doors as well.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 8 months 1 day ago #71696

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
I cut the doors out yesterday. As of right now they are 1/2 wider and taller than the gap in front. So they would sit on top of the face, or not flush. I'm contemplating cutting them down to fit inside and use trim to stop the doors from flailing inside. Haven't made up my mind just yet.

These are images of the insides of the doors just to show how I put them together. I used 1x6's glued them side by side, use a 1x3 as a bracket, glued that and then screwed the 1x6's to the brackets. Nothing fancy, but they should be solid, and should look decent with some trim and paint.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 8 months 19 hours ago #71699

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Got a few more things done tonight. I ended up cutting the doors to fit inside the openings. I think I just like the flush look more. Seems more clean. So I cut down the doors, and ended up having to trim down some of the skin around the edges of the openings so the door hinges would fit the edges. Tomorrow I will trim down all of the doors a little more (some are too tight to open and close smoothly) just an eighth inch maybe, and then put the hinges on. Once I have the spots marked out, I'll take the hinges off and put the trim on. Then the knobs, and then paint. :)

Getting closer.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 8 months 11 hours ago #71702

• OliviaWatson
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
I am also waiting for the result. I hope I will see it soon :)

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 7 months 4 weeks ago #71710

• buehler
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
That is a clean looking stand, I really like the trim you have on there. What color/finish are you going to put on it?
10 gallon IM Fusion - Zoa Tank
Eagle Eye Zoas
Scrambled Eggs Zoas
Utter Chaos Palyzoas
Fire and Ice Zoas
Pipe coral
Ricordea Mushrooms
Rhodactis Mushrooms
Glove Polyps

phryno.wordpress.com

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 7 months 4 weeks ago #71711

• buehler
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
PS that skimmer looks like a beast!!!

You still bumming around RC?
10 gallon IM Fusion - Zoa Tank
Eagle Eye Zoas
Scrambled Eggs Zoas
Utter Chaos Palyzoas
Fire and Ice Zoas
Pipe coral
Ricordea Mushrooms
Rhodactis Mushrooms
Glove Polyps

phryno.wordpress.com

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 7 months 4 weeks ago #71715

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Thinking of painting white or off white and doing a distressed look, wife's idea.

Skimmer is a monster. I'm actually a little concerned about over skimming....

Yup I am still browsing/participating on RC. Too much experience and knowledge over there to ignore it.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 7 months 4 weeks ago #71718

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Did a little more work last night, but after a 30 minutes in or so I realized I was going to have a problem. Trim. Just wasn't sure how I was going to be able to mount it with the door hinges as they were. I stopped after mounting just one door and called a buddy - an actual carpenter. He recommended I take the doors off and trim the inside of the opening for the doors instead of the doors themselves. For the most part, that will still hide most of my errors but I will have to resize the doors themselves to accommodate for the space taken up by the trim itself. I decided to go with his recommendation being that he does this for a living and I really have no idea what I'm doing.

So I stopped. Will pick up some more trim today, and hopefully get the insides of the openings trimmed up, and maybe the doors resized and mounted.

Here's a pic of what the doors were going to be... but will look a tad different now that I'm going a different direction.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 7 months 3 weeks ago #71737

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Alright. I took the doors and hinges off, and bought trim, cut to fit. Got the inside of the main doors done yesterday and I will hopefully get the side doors done tonight and size the doors (again) for the new inner dimensions. Probably mount the hinges Saturday and then get knobs and Velcro in place. Then it will be time for paint.

Pics - This might not be half bad looking.

It's finally happening... 40 breeder tank/stand 7 months 3 weeks ago #71745

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
I trimmed up the rest of the stand last night and resized the doors. Ripped them down and put hinges on and mounted. This was probably the most frustrating process I've been through on this tank so far. The hinges I bought were small (mistake #1) and while they hold up the doors fine they just leave little room for error. Mounting the hinges to the inside of the trim was mistake #2, that also leaves virtually no room to move the hinges side to side to adjust for the door swing, because the width of the trim is 3/4 inch. Lastly, I didn't leave enough room for the hinges when I resized the doors so I'll have to rip one of the two doors down again by like 1/8 inch or they won't quite squeeze in together. It's just a big PITA man. Lol.

I'm thinking of leaving the side 'doors' just as panels that I can Velcro in. Pop them in or out when I need to get into the sides if I ever do and call it a day. I'm just really hating hinges that much right now. Lol.

Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds