Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fish Food Ingredients Analysis

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 3 years 2 months ago #30276

• PrevueFish
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks for the great review Kmuda. Hope this helps many fish keepers worldwide. Quick request could you also do a review on major brands such as Ocean Nutrition and New Era?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 3 years 2 months ago #30285

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 903
I have reviews on the old Ocean Nutrition formulas but I have to get them updated with the new formula. The new formula falls out of the preferred list, dropping Ocean Nutrition formulas down to a 2 or 3 star ranking.

I am attempting to collect details on New Eras fish meal. By default, generic fish meals bring little level of confidence. Just based upon the ingredient label, without an understanding of New Eras procurement and Quality Control processes, New Era would not rank higher than 3 stars.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 3 years 4 days ago #38599

• el_oscuro
  • Poecilia reticulata
We get all of the same garbage in our human food. Just read "Eat This, Not That" to get an idea. One relavent example: Mechanically separated turkey/chicken/pork. You will find it as the first ingredient in lots of hot dogs, saugages, bologna, etc. It is exactly the same leftover crap that is in the low grade fish meal. I guess the same advice that "Eat This, Not That" applies for fish food as well:
1. Look for whole fish meal as the first ingredient
2. Avoid a list of known problem igredients such as the food dyes
3. The shortest list of ingredents wins. If it has 4 inches of ingredients, avoid it. If the only ingredient is "whole krill meal", it is probably ok.
75 Gallon: Tiger Oscar ("Dopefish"), parrot cichlid ("Orange Dude"), 15 Olive Nerites Snails, 5 Freshwater Asian Clams, Lots of plants

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 3 years 3 days ago #38669

• kmuda
  • Admin
el_oscuro wrote:
1. Look for whole fish meal as the first ingredient
2. Avoid a list of known problem igredients such as the food dyes
3. The shortest list of ingredents wins. If it has 4 inches of ingredients, avoid it. If the only ingredient is "whole krill meal", it is probably ok.

:thumbs:

The issue is that AAFCO does not allow for the separation of meal qualities. In other words, there is no AAFCO definition for "Whole Krill Meal" or "Whole Salmon Meal". There is only "Fish Meal". I cover this quite extensively in the article.

The other issue is that "Whole" may not always mean what we think it means. As an example, the difference between "Whole Herring Meal" and "Herring Meal" does not involve if the "whole animal" is used. It involves whether or not the condensed fish solubles, which are basically the evaporated stickwater, are returned to the meal prior to drying. Whole Herring Meal has this condensed stickwater added back, Herring Meal does not.

"Stickwater" results from the liquids pressed out of the cooked material. This liquid is run through a centrifuge to remove the oil for other uses. What is left behind is the "stickwater", and contains about 20% of the total solids of the fish. Liquid is then allowed to evaporate, leaving behind "condensed fish solubles", which you'll sometimes find as a separate ingredient on labels. Some products such as the API Foods, use this as their primary ingredient.

When these "condensed fish solubles" are added back to the meal, it becomes "Whole Meal", or in the case of Herring, Whole Herring Meal. If these condensed fish solubles are not added back to the meal, the meal is simply identified as a meal, or in the case of Herring, Herring Meal.

So here we go, to further confuse matters..... the industry now has a way to take the scrapes... bones, scales, gills, and skin...... comprise it into a meal, and label it "Whole" and we think that means they used the whole animal. In some cases, such as with herring (and Krill), it does. Because herring (and Krill) are too small to process anything other than the whole animal. In other cases, with larger animals, perhaps not. We get the scraps with the scraps stickwater added back and they label it as "Whole Fish".

This is the way the industry wants it. The large and in charge pet food corporations want the confusion and loop holes. Makes it easier to sell an inferior product.

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 2 years 2 months ago #57050

• kmuda
  • Admin
Article has been updated. Condensed Fish Protein Digest (hydrolized fish protein) has been moved up into the Preferred Proteins section with a modified definition:
Condensed Fish Protein Digest (aka hydrolized fish protein)

Consists of the condensed enzymatic digest of clean undecomposed whole fish or fish cuttings using the enzyme hydrolysis process. It can better be defined (and is listed on some labeles) as fish protein hydrolysate. The hydrolization process involves the liquification of whole fish or fish cuttings in a vat of enzymes. The bones and scales are discarded with the subsequent slurry passed through a spray dryer. The end product is a highly digestible protein that is practically void of ash and phosphate.

API Foods and SeaChem Foods use this product as a primary ingredient.

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 1 year 7 months ago #62638

• kmuda
  • Admin
The Fish Food Ingredients Overview document has been updated with a new definition for Astaxanthin. I've also added a definition for Ulva Seaweed

www.oscarfish.com/fish-food-ingredients.html

Astaxanthin

A color enhancing carotenoid and powerful antioxidant. Can be obtained naturally from krill, krill shells, shrimp shells, and salmon skins. Specifically enhances red coloration. A preferred ingredient in Oscar foods and for other fish where enhanced red coloration is desirable.

Most often thought of in the aquarium community as a red color enhancer, Astaxnthin's primary benefit may be it's powerful antioxidant properties. It is referred to as the "King of Carotenoids" for this reason. Beyond it's healthful benefits, Astaxanthin may directly help counter the effects of long term exposure to nitrates.
  • Astaxanthin is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Studies indicate exposure to excessive nitrates results in higher bloods counts of monocytes, neutrophil, TLC, and creatine, while impacting antibody production, all indications of an inflammatory type infection affecting muscle tissue and internal organs. Astaxanthin's powerful anti-inflammatory properties can help elevate these issues. Astaxanthin is a carotenoid, related to beta-carotene, lutein, and canthaxanthin, but it has a unique structure, and works in some very unique ways. For example, most other antioxidants are depleted after they've transferred their free electrons. But Astaxanthin has a massive surplus, allowing it to remain "active" far longer — at least one order of magnitude more than most other antioxidants. It donates electrons to neutralize free radicals, and then rejects the excess energy primarily as heat. But the Astaxanthin remains intact — there are no chemical reactions to break it down, which is what occurs in most other antioxidants. Astaxanthin also acts on at least five different inflammation pathways, and maintains balance within the system.
  • Astaxanthin combats fatigue. It is believed that Astaxanthin provides the energy and endurance Salmon require to swim upstream. Nitrate has the opposite effect, educing fatigue.
  • Astaxanthin increases metabolism, which improves hunger, while inhibiting bodyweight gain. Nitrate has the opposite effect. A 60 day study conducted on mice identified a high-fat diet containing 30mg Astaxanthin resulted in 15% less body weight, 34% less adipose tissue, 58% less liver triglycerides, plasma triglycerides, liver weight, and total cholesterol, when compared against the control group. Pay particular attention to a reduction in liver weight. Fatty liver disease is a leading cause of death among large South American Cichlids.
  • Astaxanthin improves immune response, inhibits cancer cell growth, reduces bacterial load, and gastric inflammation. Studies have proven Astaxanthin supplements increases the activity of natural "killer cells", without increasing the population of these cells (which results in them attacking the body in a manner in which they should not, resulting in an inflammatory response, such as asthma). Astaxanthin also raised levels of T and B cells, key cells of the immune system. This indicates Astaxanthin stimulates infection and cancer fighting components of the immune system while suppressing immune responses that create needless inflammation. This directly counters the primary impacts of nitrate toxicity, which is destruction of the immune system.
  • Excessive Nitrate damages the red blood cells, impairing their ability to carry oxygen (anemia). Astaxanthin protects red blood cells from these effects. Human studies identified the significant of these improvements as "profound".
Ulva Seaweed

Ulva Seaweed has been tested on fish in several scientific studies with positive results. It possesses pigments which contain strong anti-oxidants, contains 28% protein, which is comprised of all 9 essential amino acids including Lysine, is rich in magnesium, potassium and calcium, and contains essential vitamins: Vitamin A, B and C.• It is especially rich in Vitamin B-12

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 1 year 6 months ago #63311

• Erik1974
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hi, with great interest i read your article and am impressed by all the work you put in.
I am from Europe and High Fin and New Life Spectrum are not available over here. We do however have high grade food from Dennerle. Are you familiar with their food range without fishmeal?
I wonder how many stars you would give this fish food. I think it is very good and one of the best available over here.

This is one of their foods:
dennerle.com/en/products/aquaristic/feed...omplete-gourmet-menu

More info can be found on the site. I would like to read your thoughts on this fishfood.

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 1 year 6 months ago #63322

• kmuda
  • Admin
I am familiar with Dennerle. I really should get in some reviews for those of you across the pond. There are several foods folks in the EU have access to that I would love to try.

As for Dennerle, I would consider them a quality food, probably with a four star rating. The reason for the four star (instead of 5) would be their use of terrestrial starches (wheat) accounts for upwards of 30% of the food. We really don't want this to exceed 20% and 0% would be ideal.

Krill meal accounts for 31% of the food contents. Krill meal is 60'ish% protein and will be the highest preferred protein concentration in the food. "Wheat Protein" is 75% protein, it's just unfortunate that it's protein that is not properly digested by most fish. But with an overall protein ratio of 55%, with Krill only accounting for 31% of the food contents, then only about 25% of those 55% proteins are coming from the Krill, which means a good percentage of the final protein ratio of 55% is coming from the Wheat.

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 1 year 6 months ago #63339

• Erik1974
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thx for that, close to what i figured it would be. I wonder if there is anything even better on the market over here. NLS is available in the UK but the shipping costs are a bit steep....

Fish Food Ingredients Analysis 1 year 6 months ago #63345

• kmuda
  • Admin
My recommendation is to get on www.amazon.eu and see if you can find NLS a bit closer to home with less shipping charge. If amazon.eu has Amazon Prime, and you join, shipping is free. A quick look at the Frence, italian, and German Amazon sites shows NLS available.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds