Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trying Imgur, hope these fish pics post ok

Trying Imgur, hope these fish pics post ok 1 week 4 days ago #72129

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 213
Couple things you can do to improve maintenance. Larger volume water changes remove more toxins at once than several of equal volume. ie, an 80% change every 4 days is better than 2 40% in the same 4 days.You could add an Aquaclear 110 hob to gain mechanical filtering assistance. Moves a lot of water, its quiet and reliable. Not sure what you use for water changes(buckets?) but a Python water changer that attaches to your tap will siphon all the crap out and refill the tank with no fuss, no muss. You could do a thorough vac and 75% water change on a 52g in 15-20 mins. Its a must have piece of equipment.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Trying Imgur, hope these fish pics post ok 1 week 3 days ago #72130

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
Oscarmon wrote:
...The problem with taking too much more water out is that he doesn't have 'much' room to hide when he's disturbed (rarely is)...

Adding to what Northstar has shared regarding the math of toxin/nitrate removal (ie. 80% once every 4 days vs. two 40% changes within the same 4 days), you shouldn't allow your feelings to influence the degree to which you provide them good care. The more clean (ie. toxin free) water you can provide, the more healthy they will be. Kmuda taught me how to do a 100% water change that I can share if you're interested.

Let me share my experience with big water changes and my Oscar....

You'll hear folks talk about doing "fin level" water changes....meaning they take the water all the way down to the fish's fins before refilling the tank. I learned the concept of one big water change being healthier than multiple small ones from the folks on this board - a couple in particular took the time to walk me through the math of toxin removal - I became converted!!

As I began to perform "fin level" water changes with my Oscar he increasingly became more comfortable with it. Understanding the math of the toxin removal, I thought, "if I could take a little more water out of his tank all the better". I decided to go a little bit past fin level....my Oscar was OK with it. After awhile, I thought "what about a little more".....well - you can see where this is going. My water changes are now REALLY deep and my Oscar doesn't show any signs of distress. He's actually learned to go lay in the area of the tank that he's dug out all the way down to the glass which enables me to optimize how much water I remove. I would say my water changes are now more accurately described as "gill level" rather than "fin level".

I've unintentionally conditioned him to become comfortable with laying at a 45* angle on the bottom glass during water changes....with no noticeable or discernable signs of stress or anxiety (eg. more rapid breathing, flopping/splashing, aggressiveness afterward etc...). He probably would not have reacted the same if I'd have immediately imposed that degree of water changes on him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ernie14

Trying Imgur, hope these fish pics post ok 1 week 2 days ago #72131

• Oscarmon
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 4
@NorthStar, Yeah I still use buckets... And it does make a mess. Thanks!

@ Beretta96 I'll try today while I do my water change and let you know how it went :)

Trying Imgur, hope these fish pics post ok 1 week 1 day ago #72132

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
Oscarmon wrote:
Yeah I still use buckets...

Yeah.....a Python will make your life SO much easier. If you decide to get a python, to extract the water from the tank, it requires you to start a siphon. The python is configured in such a way the pressure from the water coming out of your faucet generates the suction needed to create a siphon....really cool stuff. However, if the faucet to which your python is attached sits at a higher or the same elevation as your tank, you'll need to run the water from your faucet to maintain the siphon. If your faucet sits at an elevation lower than your tank, you can shut off the faucet after the siphon is created and allow gravity to maintain the siphon - saving lots of water.

If you need to use the faucet to maintain the siphon, you'll use A LOT of water during each water change. Since my faucets essentially sit at the same elevation as my tanks, I found it to be both more cost and time effective to buy a water pump for $100-150, along with a garden hose, and use it to drain the tanks.

It used to take me ~3 hours and a ton of water to drain and refill my 125g Oscar tank. With the water pump, it takes me between 45min to an hour....depending on how ambitious I am to get done as quick as possible.

When researching how pythons work, I was a bit confused on how to attach the python to my faucet. Fortunately, I have a couple faucets with male threads near my tanks. The male threads make it really easy to use the python. I can't be of much help setting up a python on a faucet that doesn't have male threads.

Trying Imgur, hope these fish pics post ok 6 days 4 hours ago #72134

• Aquamoo
  • Poecilia reticulata
I have been thinking of getting a Python but I am a little confused. On all of out faucets we have those sprayer thingys (they look like this bit.ly/2tkpHQm ) and I don't think that the Python would connect to those. Also I have heard that a Python Hook is needed for the python, do you guys have any experience with that?

Thank You,
Aquamoo

Trying Imgur, hope these fish pics post ok 5 days 15 hours ago #72136

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 440
Get a good 1" Rubber hose.

Put a steardy 1Liter plastic bottle and cut of the bottom.

Unscrew your shower head from the hose in your shower or bathtube.

Push the shower hose into the rubber one the with little force so that you will get a sealing.

Put the bottle on the hose in your tank so that the bottle is under water and clamp it in place.

Open the faucet and wait till water has filled the hose and close the faucet.

Disconnect the hoses in your bathroom.

Now water gets sucked out of your tank and you can do a substrate vac or not.

Repeat the conecting part and open the faucet to refill.

You need hose (as much as you need + 3 to 4 feet so that it can lay lose on the bottom.)

A thick wanded Water or Soda bottle 1 Liter is most handy in size.

A metal saw blade or a good knife.

With the 1" Diameter you has more vac power and also water release speed as any phyton and you can build it for like half the price.

Your welcome.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aquamoo

Trying Imgur, hope these fish pics post ok 5 days 8 hours ago #72137

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
Aquamoo wrote:
I have been thinking of getting a Python but I am a little confused. On all of out faucets we have those sprayer thingys (they look like this bit.ly/2tkpHQm ) and I don't think that the Python would connect to those. Also I have heard that a Python Hook is needed for the python, do you guys have any experience with that?

Thank You,
Aquamoo
Those aerators on your taps are threaded and twist off very easy. In the Python package is a brass adaptor that threads onto almost any faucet with threads, male or female. The Python itself threads onto the brass adaptor. Over time and many dozens of water changes, this brass adaptor will crack if you take it on and off every time you use the tap. Finger tight isn't good enough, so you end up using pliers or vice grips, and eventually the thing gives out. Brass is quite soft for a metal. Then you go to any hardware store and get a stainless steel one, good for life, or at least a very long time. Python hook?? Don't even know what that is and whatever it is you don't need it
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aquamoo

Trying Imgur, hope these fish pics post ok 4 days 7 hours ago #72142

• Aquamoo
  • Poecilia reticulata
What size tanks do you have for the Oscar pairs also what kind of plant is that with the Lutino Oscar, it appears to be a live plant.

Trying Imgur, hope these fish pics post ok 4 days 3 hours ago #72148

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
One pair of large adults, aged 4 and 5 are in a 220g. 72x24x30. The pair of Red O's, year and a half old are in a 180g. 72x24x24. My 7yr old giant female is in 265g. 84x24x30. There has been an assortment of tankmates over the years, but its always been HER tank,lol.No live plants here, tried a couple of times. No good with large digging cichlids. Can be done I suppose, but I gave up long ago. Ive gone thru a lot of plastic plants as well. They all get pulled up and mangled eventually.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds