Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Amphilophus trimaculatus from the beginning

Amphilophus trimaculatus from the beginning 10 months 4 weeks ago #71230

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
To bring the forum a little bit to life again i will update to the Trimaculatus i started to grow out since last sunday.

For the record they started free swimming on November 18. Since than I got them. Was kind of a bit risky since they was still a little bit to fragil for a transport but I did it anyways.

Species is Amphilophus trimaculatus, they are pure F2 and again Rio Coyotale variation. Maybe not the biggest kind of trimac but regulary getting very thick and high backed.

I feed them since they settled in my tank with decapseled Baby brines and hope to go fast with Söll Power Flakes what is an very good growth food.

The first week did not much change. They may put on 50% more size what still is tiny. But you are now able to see there little fins and eyes.
There bahavior at the other hand changed allready enough. The first 2 days they was all hearding in a corner. Now they show allready alot of curious actions and also don't swarm that lot anymore. They aggressivly pick at food and allready start to explore the tank a bit more up to the mid.

Still there is a long way to go. I still hope they grow fast so that I have at least an 1 to 1.5 inch fish in January.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FreshyFesh, Ernie14, beretta96

Amphilophus trimaculatus from the beginning 10 months 3 weeks ago #71237

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 89
Will follow this topic with interest, can't wait to see some photos.
One day will have to have Trimacs, pity Germany isn't a bit closer to Australia !!
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Amphilophus trimaculatus from the beginning 10 months 3 weeks ago #71244

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
I need another propper Picture upload. Got problems with my old photobucket account.

For the Trimaculatus, you can most likley thanks China and Thailand to never see a pure trimac because they will directly turn it into an Flowerhorn :P

Amphilophus trimaculatus from the beginning 10 months 3 weeks ago #71261

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
Very neat! Can't wait to follow the updates

Jessica

Amphilophus trimaculatus from the beginning 10 months 3 weeks ago #71262

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
I will, I did get some good pictures but still need to find a hoster where 4 to 5 MB pictures can be uploaded for free.

I raised the temp up to 27/28 degrees. I also stoled the male britslenose pleco his clutch of eggs, dropped them in a fry box in the Baby trimac tank with an air stone and they hatched quite fast. Maybe 30 or more allready have digested half there yolk bag.

The Baby trimacs are still going fine. I will try to feed tomorow with dusted powerflakes and see if they allready accept.

Amphilophus trimaculatus from the beginning 9 months 3 weeks ago #71343

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
I still struggle with pictures. I am so sorry but i made a Video.

I think they are now 5 to 5 1/2 weeks after free swimming. Right now they are allready visable bigger as on the Video.

I will upgrade to an 240 Liter tank after new year for future grow out.
Feeding has changed alot. In the beginning i feeded like a knife tip of food to not letting 80% waste on the bottom.

Right now they eat over the day 6 cubes of frozen Artemia, Söll/northfin grow Flakes and micro sturgeon pellets. They basicly eat anything you offer, even attacking Fingers like a hive of bees.

The Video don't show it but there eyes allready start to becoming red and they lost all of the transparent on the body, some allready start to become greenish and also showing depending on mood there stripes. You are also able to see what they are, well at least you see it if you know that they are trimac. The head section is allready very pointy and tey have the typical trimac shape. Hey are also allready bigger as i thought they would be in late december. I hoped for an 1" fish at early Jan but they are more like allready 1.2 to 1.4". I think the first selection will be needed between 2 to 2.5" by rehoming the smallest ones. Maybe allready try to reduce to the best and biggest 12 before the great purge starts and they will kill each other.

Also there was one special fry between them. It was the smallest of all but it was glowing red. I was curious and allready wanted to put it separate because it had like only 40% the size of the bigger ones but i waited to long and it dissapeared. Most likley got eaten by it's silblings. To bad that i was so bussy that time and i did not separated it.

Also the Ancistrus egg batch i stoled from the male gold britsle made major progress. Around 2 to 2.5 dozen hatched and are still there. Also allready trippled in size. The biggest are maybe a little bit over 4 cm and some pre marture ones allready starten to fight each other off for a good spot on the alga covered driftwood. They are so many that they eat any day a small pinky finger size shrimp by themself with a bit help of the trimacs.

Maintaince in this little tank is as you maybe allready think heavy. Each day 2 x 30%, one early morning one after the last feeding at 10.p.m
Can't do more right now because i don't run warm water in the basement and with bigger changes i would have an dangerous temp drop. Right now the tank temp is 28 degrees Celsius and after WC i am between 23.5 to 24.5. If I switch 50% at once i am allready in the very low 20s what is to low because it slows them down vey hard in apetite and movement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ernie14, beretta96

Amphilophus trimaculatus from the beginning 9 months 3 weeks ago #71347

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 89
Looks like you have some nice healthy fry there toom, still wishing I was a bit closer so that I could grab a few.
Would you expect them all to survive from this stage? Be nice to see when some colour starts to develop.
Great update.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Amphilophus trimaculatus from the beginning 9 months 3 weeks ago #71350

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
They are most likley bullet proof fry, kind like Cons or other Centrals. The only relevant factor for bigger loses in numbers may will be aggression that should start at around 2 inches and of course errors by me.
For this i hope to decrease numbers as fast as I can as i can tell what is male/female.
Hoping it works out with selcting 2 males and 3 to 5 females for final growout in the 220 and later reducing to a final pair.
The rest will go to the online shop that gets my Snakeheads, redpoints and britsles.

Coloring up will not happen soon. If trimaculatus are like other Amphilophus in this way than it will be like with Oscars. Pretty and cute as Baby becoming grey mice as juvies and getting into shape between year one and and 2 with final coloration and patterning after the second year.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds