Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Baby Tiger Oscar with Blue/Purple Colouration

Baby Tiger Oscar with Blue/Purple Colouration 11 months 1 week ago #68196

• Thulf
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hey everyone, so I've bought a baby tiger oscar today and as I put him in his new tank I realised some abnormal colours on him. Basically the white pigment seems to appear very bluish/purplish. I don't believe it to be a lighting issue since the lutino and lemon oscars that are with him don't exhibit these colourations. I also don't have any lights setup on the tank. The fish was purchased from a very reputable fish supplier here in Australia called Aquarium Industries and the fish pretty much went straight from them to me. So I think being dyed is out of the question. So is this a normal phenomenon that occurs with some baby oscars or do I have an abnormality?

Heres some pictures:

*First two pictures are of the lutino and lemon oscar for comparison.

Any info would be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Baby Tiger Oscar with Blue/Purple Colouration 11 months 1 week ago #68199

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
Hi Thulf :welcome:

I don't think you have anything to worry about-the colours exhibited by Oscars can change depending many factors such as food, environment, stress.
Your fish do look a little washed out-being newly introduced I would suggest that this is normal, it takes time for them to adapt to their new surroundings.
Also, it appears from your photos that they are in a bare bottom tank with no decor. I would suggest that this is your problem. Young Oscars need items like rocks, wood and plants in order to provide cover-add these things and watch your fish colour up.

What size is your tank? I'm sure that if you've had a read around this forum you are aware of how large Oscars become and at what rate. 3 Oscars is going to require a lot of space!

Baby Tiger Oscar with Blue/Purple Colouration 11 months 1 week ago #68202

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 412
The blue/purple one is nothing to worry about. He most likley survived the selection of the Red Tiger Albinos and is something people here called Lutino Oscar.

He will mostly become white around the body but his fins get gray to black from the Tips down.

Like said before. By keeping several Oscars you better have alot of space. For a pair at best 150 to 180G or minimum 120 while i would prefer the first two ones.

You also need alot of decoration by keeping Baby Oscars. Hey hide alot and it can happen from one othe other day that they start to kill each other.

There are several Options like overdecoration like Tons of pvc tubes to hide and for later bringen some other fish in what keeps them bussy to to hunt each other but will end as food or if you can tank seperation
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Baby Tiger Oscar with Blue/Purple Colouration 11 months 1 week ago #68203

• Thulf
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just to clear things up, I've done a heap of research on oscars so I've got a good idea on the do's and don'ts.

So heres the situation; the tank is bare bottom in the photos because I literarily took the photos a few minutes after putting the oscars in. It now has a bit of temporary gravel along with a couple plants and a decent sized resin log. These are all pretty much temporary as the decor will be finalised in a couple days.

The oscars are currently sitting in a 4 foot tank. I am aware that they roughly require 55 galloons of water-space each when they become adults, and as such I have a 6 foot tank and 8 foot tank on standby (I'm very close to an owner of a LFS) to move into in a few months time when they have grown a bit. The tank has been cycled and PH, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia have been tested for with good results.

At first my intentions were to only bring home the lemon and lutino oscars, but this little tiger oscar stood out from the rest so I decided 3 it would be.
muddybear wrote:
Your fish do look a little washed out-being newly introduced I would suggest that this is normal, it takes time for them to adapt to their new surroundings.

I actually noticed that too, but my thoughts were that with a proper tank setup, proper diet and provided with time the colours should become more vibrant.
toom wrote:
The blue/purple one is nothing to worry about. He most likley survived the selection of the Red Tiger Albinos and is something people here called Lutino Oscar.

I don't entirely understand what you mean by this. To my knowledge a red tiger albino or lutino oscar is white in colour with orange markings. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

Baby Tiger Oscar with Blue/Purple Colouration 11 months 5 days ago #68278

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 412
Thulf wrote:
toom wrote:

I don't entirely understand what you mean by this. To my knowledge a red tiger albino or lutino oscar is white in colour with orange markings. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

You got it. It seems people like them so much that they give them an own name but for me they are just the ones that get threw quality control by selecting Albino tigers. Lutinos are most likley a back crossing. It's a genetical thing, we could Talk about it if you want but it's not an easy to understanding topic.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Baby Tiger Oscar with Blue/Purple Colouration 11 months 5 days ago #68281

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 57
When Drifter was growing up, he did have purple/bluish colors around five to six months. He was a wild Oscar. It's nothing to worry about
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Baby Tiger Oscar with Blue/Purple Colouration 3 weeks 3 days ago #71150

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 180
what an awesome pattern

some of these patterns really make me want to use my extra 75G....
180 oscar/JD/pleco
75 peacock and eB
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds