Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!!

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 6 months 1 week ago #71455

• ted
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
I haven't been out yet since the new year, but I am gearing up to learn how to pitch a punch rig. Once it warms back up to the 70s this weekend, I will head out. I expect to lose some tackle and get some excellent bird's nests.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 6 months 6 days ago #71467

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 492
Punching grass mats is a lot of fun. We don't have the same type of pads you guys have down south, but we do have some pretty thick grass mats. I do like doing it but it takes patience and a heavy setup. Good luck Ted.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 5 months 3 weeks ago #71500

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
I have been doing a fair bit of ice fishing this winter. I got out on Saturday and took both the kids and the wife out. It was a beautiful day for mid-January in Minnesota. 28 degrees above zero... and hardly any wind. The ice is thick enough to drive on now, on most lakes. I have heard of a few vehicles breaking through in central and southern Minnesota but it's been a solid 10-15 degrees cooler here in the north. There was over two feet of ice on Upper red lake which is a few hours east of me, and the lake we went to had about 16-17 inches. I still heed caution and don't really veer off the 'road' (path that other vehicles have clearly taken) but it's good ice right now.

For me personally that means that I can actually get around on the ice. Move around and really attempt to find the fish. A massive massive issue when ice fishing is mobility. Since you are not casting a lure and you are not in a boat, you choose a spot to hunker down and vertical jig. Well if you aren't on fish then you are either at the mercy of them just happening onto your spot, or you're just not going to catch any fish. You have to be willing to move around, punch holes, graph and jig and mark fish.

So Saturday I had an idea of where I wanted to go but once I got on the flat I wanted to fish, I poked holes and poked holes until I marked something. Then I dropped a jig down just to see if I could get it to respond and it did. So we set up there.

TBC.....

Normally this is a lot of work, hauling a sled out, poking holes, graphing, and then usually moving around to find the fish. Especially dragging a 2 and 5 year old around. But this time they stayed in the truck with the wife, warm and I went out to drill holes and find the fish. I knew the flat I was on would be a half way decent shot since I had found fish there before, but this was the first time ice fishing there. Once I graphed a fish, I punched 6-7 more holes so I could move around in that general area. Got the house set up, heater on and let the kids run around. We stayed for about 4 hours which is a good stretch for my daughter who has never been ice fishing before, and caught two walleyes. Perfect eating size around 15-16 inches. I hooked another but lost it coming up the hole and we had been marking fish on and off during that stent and I think if my wife had been a little more aggressive jigging we could have probably grabbed one or two more. Overall it was kind of slow but I am thinking it would have picked up closer to dark, we fished from about 12-4pm. It was good day though. Got the kids outside and caught some fish. Marked a decent spot for next time. Can't complain about it really. :)

... my daughter sure will though.... :roflmao:

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 5 months 3 weeks ago #71503

• JakeB
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
I have been out in NJ the past 3 weekends. Doing well with pike and pickerel but the weather turned and it was 50 degrees yesterday and warm and rainy today. Had about 8 inches of ice on Sat but I'm sure it's all gone now. Hoping for a cold spell!
Tank: Display 450 g; 2.5 ft tall and deep by 9 ft long with 100g sump

zebra oscar x 1
red severum x 1
green severum x 1
convict cichlid x 1
tin foil barbs x 4
featherfin cat x 1

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 5 months 3 weeks ago #71507

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
8 inches is a lot to melt in a day. Might not be safe to go out on though. Definitely be careful out there! Oh, and snap some pictures next time!

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 5 months 3 weeks ago #71512

• JakeB

zebra oscar x 1
red severum x 1
green severum x 1
convict cichlid x 1
tin foil barbs x 4
featherfin cat x 1

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 5 months 3 weeks ago #71519

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Awesome! Last pic - is the one in the middle a Pickerel?

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 5 months 3 weeks ago #71521

• JakeB
Yes, it is a chain pickerel. Very similar to pike but usually smaller. That was a nice one.

I'd rather be catching walleyes like you...

zebra oscar x 1
red severum x 1
green severum x 1
convict cichlid x 1
tin foil barbs x 4
featherfin cat x 1

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 5 months 2 weeks ago #71523

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
JakeB wrote:
Yes, it is a chain pickerel. Very similar to pike but usually smaller. That was a nice one.

I'd rather be catching walleyes like you...

Cool. Pickerels are really nice looking IMO.

Walleyes are good to eat but Pike are way more exciting to catch. My son loves tip up fishing.

2018 Fishing Thread!!!!!!! 5 months 2 days ago #71659

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
That fish looks rock solid frozen. I don't have any freezing temp fishing exp. Do they die quick after getting them out of water or is there time to release?
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds