Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2017 Fishing Thread

2017 Fishing Thread 2 months 2 weeks ago #70466

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 476
toom wrote:
That's some nice cat and that only on a nightcrawler. Are worms the prefered bait for catfish in the US?

The Euro wels for example has even for catfish very bad eye sight and smells and touchs more it's food as anything else. Prefering fish chunks of native fish in summer and on colder months you get more success with sea fish like an big smelt or hering.

Another all day bait is regular frozen squid. Maybe for the US not interesting because live fish bait is not like here illegal but another very good catfish bait are blood leaches, they are a bit tricky to put on a rig and need to be secured with something but they are like any ground fishers dream bait because they don't die under water if you mount them booty first, even survive if you don't catch something and take them back home in a glass of water for another day, they have alot more movement as worms and they have an very disgusting smell to them what is like fresh baked cookies for catfish.
Anglers that only go on Wels are rare here because you need all that super heavy Gear so I never saw blood leaches on an bait store but I know that most that fish with them order them online for a whole season but not as bait but as medical leach. So this things only feeded syntetical and are clean.

Mostly depends on the time of year and river system you are fishing. You can catch a lot of small cats on nightcrawlers but most people I think prefer either cut baits or live for large cats.

I had a second setup out that was hooked up with a chunk of goldeye that my son had caught our previous outing. But had no interest on that bait. Definitely telling that this guy went for the night crawler, but not the cut bait. They were slow moving and lazy that particular day.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2017 Fishing Thread 2 months 2 weeks ago #70485

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
So I went out last Thursday after work with the mindset that I was going to practice a particular technique. I've fished this before, just not a lot or with a lot of consistency. Weightless senko. Basically its a size 3 worm hook, I use gamakatsu with a 4-5 inch senko. The 5 inchers have a good amount of weight to them, even without a bullet weight and because of their profile and buoyancy you can skip them really easily. Loving this technique under docks or in thick brush where other techniques are just impossible. However, the problem that I am having consistently is hooking up. When you toss this setup out there it sinks really slowly which is great for those finicky fish. But it makes it really difficult to tell when your on because you can't really tighten up your line without moving the bait. You have to let is sink on slack line or you're essentially moving yourself out of the strike zone. So I'd let this thing sink and sink and sometimes I'd feel a really slight tap, and then I reel up to see if there is tension, and if there is you set the hook. Well for me anyway, this often resulted in either a clean miss or a shake off - meaning a poor hookset. And I can't quite tell if I'm giving them too much time on the bait, or if they are just small fish. I landed 5-6 good sized bass on this technique, but I lost two that were easily in the 16-17 inch range. Super frustrating. I did notice that when I switched to a 4 inch senko that the bites were far more definitive. And I think it's because the sink rate is faster and they have to make a quicker decision, instead of slowly coming up and mouthing the bait. I may stick to that for a while to see if it helps me any. Either way I got frustrated pretty quick and ended up throwing the 6foot ultralight for some crappies and big sunnies I saw laying up shallow. Brought another good little meal home.

But damn. I need to spend more time on that technique and really nail it down.

2017 Fishing Thread 2 months 1 week ago #70499

• ted
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 15
~rush~ wrote:
Nice catch ted! How about a pic of the boat?!

Here's the boat. 17 foot flats boat that does well in fresh water too.

It's older, but it has everything I wanted. They say you can ride on plane in less than a foot of water, but if I had balls that big, I'd sink.

Rush, I've fished unweighted Senkos either hooked like you would texas style and also wacky. They are a challenge. I found circle hooks helped because I gut hooked a couple and that was too much for me.

2017 Fishing Thread 2 months 1 week ago #70501

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Nice looking boat ted! I love the casting deck that those sw boats have over the motors. Looks like it will get the job done well.

I've never gut hooked one on the weightless senko. I'm on the other end of the spectrum setting too soon. I think I just need to spend more time with that style and get it dialed in. In the meantime, my son is fast becoming his father...

2017 Fishing Thread 2 months 4 days ago #70529

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 403
I maked finally the second time this year to the water. Well a very bad day for fishing.
Air temp 86 to 90 degrees, water temp most likley above 70.
The channel area i fished is very slow flowing, low oxigen level and the only weirs around where are bridges, lower water levels and faster flow is a couple of Kilometers of walking and i had to admit it was just to fricking hot for me. I can't stand this tropical temps.

Caught only one damn fish in 3.5 hours that had bitten on an like 2.5" shad. The pearch was actually itself more a bait as a catch :huh:
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

2017 Fishing Thread 2 months 3 days ago #70530

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
That's why they call it fishing and not catching. :) Everyone has days like that toom. Crack a cold beer and enjoy the quiet time. :)

2017 Fishing Thread 2 months 3 days ago #70531

• chilerelleno
  • Advice Team
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi folks, long time no see.

Not nearly enough fishing this year.
My mini-me is a now a very accomplished fisherman in his own right.

Sat 06/17
Fished the Gulf State Pier in Gulf Shores, AL.
Culled and gave away 2dz+ Spades and kept the largest 2dz+ for ourselves, add a fat Speck and a Pomp to make it a mix.

05/26-06/02
Vacationed at my SiL's cabin which just happens to sit on Bushkill creek in Northeast Pa outside of Stroudsburg, PA.
Some pretty good trout fishing.

03/14
Fished the Gulf State Pier in Gulf Shores, AL
Great bite of Sheepshead and Whiting

2017 Fishing Thread 2 months 2 days ago #70533

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Awesome pics Chile. Good to read you.

2017 Fishing Thread 2 months 2 days ago #70537

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 403
Rush, about pike fishing. Do you use steal or titanium wire for a offset or Jighead montage or do you use regular furocabon, fireline or thicker hard mono?

I know you are all over there mostly for black bass but do you just take the risk of pike or waleye biting the line or if a pike makes a barrel roll and cuts the the line on his sharp gill teehts?
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

2017 Fishing Thread 2 months 2 days ago #70538

• tom
  • Thank you received: 230
What kind of trout were those Chile?
I think I recognized some brown trout and maybe a brook trout.
Could any be tiger trout (brook x brown)?
What was the orange/red one?
6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Chocolate, Rotkeil Severum
10 Siver Dollars
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds