Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2017 Fishing Thread

2017 Fishing Thread 7 months 2 weeks ago #70138

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 906
At least my Kayaks finally got wet. My Son and Law and Daughter took them to Lake Greenwood yesterday. I have no clue as to if they had any luck. Was too busy trying sleep off Kmudametal's abuse of my body.

:kman:
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2017 Fishing Thread 7 months 1 week ago #70210

• tom
  • Thank you received: 233
Went up north Tuesday.
Went to my favorite lake Wednesday and the &^%*($# lake is still frozen over.
8 hr drive one way...
:blink:
6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Rotkeil Severum 10 Silver Dollars

2017 Fishing Thread 7 months 1 week ago #70219

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 477
Oh man. That is a kick in the nuts. You drill some holes then? Or was it too thin to walk on?
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

2017 Fishing Thread 7 months 1 week ago #70220

• tom
  • Thank you received: 233
I didn't bring anything to go through the ice and it was too thin.
Probably within a week of breaking up.
There were a few lakes that were open, we explored around and ended up backtracking about 3 hours south and fished some streams north of North Bay in the Temagami area. Got a few brookies.
My wife decided to join me at the last minute, so it was mostly a road trip.
The one night we spent up there was cloudy, so she didn't get to see the Northern Lights, but we had a great trip anyway...
:)
6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Rotkeil Severum 10 Silver Dollars

2017 Fishing Thread 6 months 4 weeks ago #70332

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod

After spending 13 hours on the roof of my house on Saturday last weekend, my buddy and I rewarded ourselves with a little time out on the water. Found some crappies and good sized sunnies in the shallows of bays and little nooks and crannies around the lake. We kept around 20 fish. Just enough for a meal for the family. Tasty!

Not the biggest fish we caught but the color on these guys is really awesome right now. Breeding dress I'm sure. :) Very cool looking.

2017 Fishing Thread 6 months 2 weeks ago #70412

• kmuda
  • Admin
Got back last night from a week on the Buffalo and Crooked Creek. Total fish caught count would be in the hundreds. The smallmouth were really hitting, Seems like every cast that landed where I wanted it to resulted in a caught fish. The problem was getting a cast where you wanted it to. The river (and creek) was (were) WAY UP and moving at about 15 miles per hour so casting was like shooting a bow and arrow from a galloping horse. True, what I call, "Combat Fishing".It's also why there are no pics, your too busy getting the fish reeled in, off the hook, so you can adjust the Kayak to avoid trees, rocks, whatever, or line up for the next shot. The time it would take to get the phone out, powered up, and a photo taken, I could have caught several more fish, not to mention it's just plain hazardous at those water levels taking delayed breaks from guiding the Kayak. Apparently, surprisingly, they (smallmouth) were still in spawn because they were being caught right up against the bank or right were the the drop off occurs.The timing of my arrival was also perfect. The river was dropping from a substantial flood so the water was clearing at the same time. The fish had been several days in muddy water, and smallmouth are site predators. They don't feed in muddy water.

I'll have to get a photo of the bait I used exclusively all week. It's a craw colored 3" plastic grub that are hand made by a gentleman here in North Arkansas. It's called DHP Baits. The only place I know you can buy his baits is from a Country Outdoor store in a town about 20 miles from Fort Smith, although he can be contacted on Facebook and will likely ship.. He also pours his own Jig Heads so my exclusive bait was a simple as it gets. A 3" Craw colored grub Ned Rigged with a 1/4 Oz Jig Head. The beauty of these grubs is that they either feel live, or taste good to the fish, because I do not recall a single spit hook through the entire week. When the fish hit the bait, it was caught. The agony is that the exposed hook of the Ned Rig resulted in many a lost bait (getting caught on rocks, tree roots, etc..... and the water was too fast to do anything but snap the, line.there was no going back to recover the bait.)

Anyway,, it was my first fishing trip of the year. While I'm glad to be back home in my own bed, I wish I was back in a Kayak on a North Arkansas stream. My daughters and I are discussing buying some land in that area and building a cabin, so we can spend more time there.

2017 Fishing Thread 6 months 1 week ago #70421

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Sounds like it was a good time. Even with the high water level. Good fishing is just good fishing. Also sounds like you need to invest in a GoPro. Flick it on when you get in the kayak and flick it off when you get out. Boom. Done. :)

2017 Fishing Thread 6 months 1 week ago #70422

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
Took the boat out for the first time yesterday afternoon. It was windy and raining, but my son was determined to go fishing. I personally was satisfied just getting the dang thing out of the garage and running but he wouldn't let it go. So we dumped into the local river. Red lake river. Not much in the way of game fish here. There are some pike and walleye but primarily you are going to catch rough fish here. Catfish, carp, goldeye and suckers. But it's close by and the fish are usually abundant.

So me and the little guy went out and tinkered around for a bit. Here's what happened. :)

2017 Fishing Thread 6 months 1 week ago #70423

• kmuda
  • Admin
I don't believe he pulled that in on his little Iron Man Rod and Reel. You're going to have to upgrade him soon. 13 Fishing has just the thing for young fishermen.

www.13fishing.com/ambition/

2017 Fishing Thread 6 months 1 week ago #70429

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
That's actually a damn good price. I will be looking at that... soon. I do have to transition him over to spin gear though. He's just now really getting good at casting the push button bait caster. I like that though.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds