Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Type Fishing Gear

Type Fishing Gear 2 weeks 1 day ago #70588

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 476
ted wrote:
Yup. People kill them rather than throw them back. Silly. It's better than casting all day and not catching anything.

This is a practice that I was taught when I was young as well but have realized how inappropriate and really ignorant it is. Bowfin may not be highly sought after game fish but they are a native species and deserve to be in the water as much as a bass or walleye. I did it once when I was young, but I'll never do it again. To any species.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Type Fishing Gear 2 weeks 1 day ago #70590

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 898
~rush~ wrote:
So far none. I threw a 3/8 oz spinner bait in the yard after I picked it up but I haven't thrown anything with any heft out on the water yet. Hoping to throw a 3/8 oz drop shot later today though.

As if I need to give you advice..... but this I can tell you... although I am sure you already know it. Until you get used to it, tune your brake for each bait or you'll be dealing with backlash hell. What I learned to do was attach the bait and adjust the break so that the bait would fall slowly if I released the thumb bar (as in casting). If you release the thumb bar and your bait plummets to the ground like a brick, you are going to visit backlash hell. Too tighjt and your cast goes 3 feet in front of you. Too loose and it's a visit to backlash hell.

And for God's sake, don't start with braid. Get used to it with a good polymer first.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

Type Fishing Gear 2 weeks 1 day ago #70591

• ted
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 14
For sure K, I am OK giving up some distance to prevent spending the day messing with backlash.

I also agree with the braid thing, but Suffix 832 has been awesome on my bait caster. I can't go back to regular plastic line.

Type Fishing Gear 2 weeks 7 hours ago #70593

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
kmuda wrote:
~rush~ wrote:
So far none. I threw a 3/8 oz spinner bait in the yard after I picked it up but I haven't thrown anything with any heft out on the water yet. Hoping to throw a 3/8 oz drop shot later today though.

As if I need to give you advice..... but this I can tell you... although I am sure you already know it. Until you get used to it, tune your brake for each bait or you'll be dealing with backlash hell. What I learned to do was attach the bait and adjust the break so that the bait would fall slowly if I released the thumb bar (as in casting). If you release the thumb bar and your bait plummets to the ground like a brick, you are going to visit backlash hell. Too tighjt and your cast goes 3 feet in front of you. Too loose and it's a visit to backlash hell.

And for God's sake, don't start with braid. Get used to it with a good polymer first.

I threw a 3/8 oz jig with it yesterday. Much much easier than trying to throw a senko with a 1/32 oz nail weight, lol. Yea I just need time with it that's all. Throwing with the jig I nested her up once, but that was it. It's just a lot easier to let it zing with more weight. I'll try braid eventually but yea got to get used to this first.

Type Fishing Gear 2 weeks 7 hours ago #70594

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
ted wrote:
For sure K, I am OK giving up some distance to prevent spending the day messing with backlash.

I also agree with the braid thing, but Suffix 832 has been awesome on my bait caster. I can't go back to regular plastic line.

I've heard good things about the suffix 832. I didn't like the last type of suffix I used, though I don't recall what type it was... a braid of some sort. But I think I might pick some up.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds