Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Best Turkey Ever Cooked

Best Turkey Ever Cooked 1 year 2 weeks ago #67974

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 906
This year, I had family come in from Florida, several cities in state, Louisiana, and Washington state. The important crew was the Florida crew, because they have been listening to my brother claim to have the best turkey.

In a unified consensus, the best turkey ever cooked, on this planet or any other, in this universe or any other, where the two turkeys that came out of my smoker this Thanksgiving. If these Turkeys had been entered into some type of competition, they would have won Gold Medals, the judges and other contestants bowing before me, in awe of my Turkey Greatness.

I am the King Of Turkeys!

I made two changes this year. First off, I used much less wood, going less for the overwhelming infusion of smoke flavor, letting the steam be the controlling factor in flavor while cooking, while allowing for the flavor introduced by the brining and injection processes to be more pronounced. To that end. I added several heaping tablesoons of stone ground mustard to the steamier mix. And, during the period of time when I refresh the coals and replenish the steamer, instead of just using another beer and topping off with water, I added more stone ground mustard, honey, and a couple handfuls of minced onion.

Both turkeys came out as perfect.... super moist, ultra tasty without that turky after taste, flavor infused to the bone. The Best Turkey Ever Cooked.

If you still suffering through dry oven cooked turkeys each Thanksgiving, you really need to give this recipe and process a try. You;ll be amazed. Husbands? Don't tell your wife your tired of dried out turkey jerky for Thanksgiving dinner, just tell her you;re going to give her e break with the Turkey and cook one up man style. Wives, don't suggest your husband get his Thanksgiving Football watching ass up off the couch and cook a turkey, suggest instead that he should get a bonus mark on his man card, returning a bit to his primal roots, by cooking the Turkey outside, kmuda style!. :mrgreen:
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Best Turkey Ever Cooked 11 months 2 weeks ago #68426

• kmuda
  • Admin
The Christmas Turkey has been nicknamed The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Jalapeno Turkey. I had this thing shove full of Jalapeno, using 7 large jalapneo's along with a handful of smaller ones I grew myself. Not an inch of the turkey (except for the legs) was not covered with a Jalapeno slice.

Here is the turkey during preparation, before being mummy wrapped.

You get the Jalapenos inside by carefully running your hand in between the skin and the body of the turkey, carefully separating the two. Then slice up and de-seed the Jalapenos and start shoving them in between the skin and meat.

I did this on Thursday night, along with injecting the Turkey, letting it sit in the Fridge until Sunday morning, when the Turkey went onto the smoker.

1. Allowing the injected marinade to soak that long damn near liquefied the meat. People wanted to think it was not cooked enough, even though it was perfectly done. It was just so unrealistically tender, it just fell apart, and the crew used to dry ass oven cooked turkey jerky did not know what to think.

2. You will be amazed at how deeply the fresh Jalapeno flavor and heat soaks (and cooks) into the meat.

I was eating leftovers last night and every bite I took of the Turkey was a moment of sheer Nirvana. You take a bite and the thought reoccurs, Damn, this is good friggin Turkey.

Next year, I am going to do the same Turkey but this time I intend to coat it in a honey mustard jalapeno glaze before wrapping it.

Best Turkey Ever Cooked 3 weeks 1 day ago #71218

• kmuda
  • Admin
Bump..... That time of year

Best Turkey Ever Cooked 3 weeks 22 hours ago #71220

• kmuda
  • Admin
This years Teenage Mutant Ninja Jalapeno Turkey... or my daughter calls it, The Turkey From Hell.

Inserted underneath the skin are 6 Jalapenos (sliced in half) and 4 "OMG call an amublance" Cheyenne peppers, along with (I lost count of how many) cloves of fresh garlic semi-crushed and sliced into lengths.

This is one of two turkeys. The second is the stand Brine Turkey whose recipe starts this thread.

Best Turkey Ever Cooked 3 weeks 18 hours ago #71222

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 477
I just looked up this thread on Monday for the brine recipe. I still plan to get a smoker and try the full recipe from beginning to end at some point.

:)
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Best Turkey Ever Cooked 3 weeks 53 minutes ago #71226

• kmuda
  • Admin
Absent the smoker/steamer, your missing a big piece of it. Apparently, this recipe and process has made the rounds here in my area. I went to buy charcoal and wood last Sunday, every store (from Wal-Mart to the Farmers Feed Store) was sold out of Kingsford Mesquite Charcoal and Mesquite Wood. Apple burns too fast so I went back to Hickory this year. I'll let you know who it turns out. It's been a decade or so since I used Hickory.

I've been feeding wood to the fire off and on all night (we eat at lunch). I'm tired as hell and smell like a walking chunk of burnt wood..

Best Turkey Ever Cooked 2 weeks 5 days ago #71229

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 114
Did they turn out great again this year? Are you still the king of turkey cooking?

Re: your jalapeno turkey....is the meat hot/spicy or do the jalapenos, cheyenne and garlic give it just has enough juju for the meat to have a bit of a kick? What size turkey do you usually cook?

Best Turkey Ever Cooked 2 weeks 3 days ago #71252

• kmuda
  • Admin
Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, I remain the King of Turkeys.

This year I cooked a pair of 16lb turkeys which is a good size for these things. It's much harder to to cook a 25lb turkey because it's diffcullt to get that smoke/steam/brine flavor that deep.

The Jalapeno Turkey? You would be surprised at how deep the Jalapeno/Garlic flavor makes it into the meat. And yes, it can get pretty spicy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds