Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: For you dog owners....

For you dog owners.... 1 year 7 months ago #67506

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
What dry dog food do you feed your dogs? We had to put our rat terrier down a few months ago. We recently got a mix-breed puppy and are feeding him Wellness. What do you folks use for your beloved dogs?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

For you dog owners.... 1 year 7 months ago #67509

• muddybear
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 61
Sorry to hear that Beretta-never good to lose a dog-we went through it here several months ago, new pooch was not far behind and that certainly helped!

As for food-I don't use a complete dry feed as a staple, preferring instead to opt for a (primarily) raw food diet.
I use beef, tripe (frozen from nature's menu) fresh chicken and white fish (not all together)-I do however (every few days) mix in a small amount of "James Wellbeloved" complete (usually on a fish day), it's wheat and dairy free so definitely helps with the exhaust if you know what I mean :sick: :ohmy: it's made with rice so a good and easily digestible source of carbs.
My dogs also have an amount of fresh fruit and veg each evening and there is always a bone or 3 from the local butchers laying about.
My Collie is 13 and my Rottweiler 7-neither have ever had a trip to the vets so I'm pretty convinced that they are both thriving on this diet.
My partner's Black Lab, who we lost earlier this year, had always been fed dry foods-he died of stomach and bowel problems. I'm not stating dry foods as a cause but who knows?!
We have now had our Yellow Lab (1) for 6 months-he is eating the same as my Collie and Rottweiler and thriving.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

For you dog owners.... 1 year 7 months ago #67510

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Thanks Muddy!! I probably misrepresented my dog's diet a little. The dry food serves primarily as food to which he can eat when he's hungry but we're not sharing our tablescrapes with him. Everyone in the family shares with him whatever they're eating and then he goes to his dry food when that's not suiting him. Watching his food bowl, I'm estimating he eats ~1 cup / day....if that.

For you dog owners.... 1 year 7 months ago #67512

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
There are varying levels of quality dog food. At the absolute top is Orijen. Next to that would probably be Acana dog food, which is made by Orijen using (only) locally sourced ingredients. Orijen is damn expensive. Acana is expensive but (to me anyway) affordable. I would call these the "top level" dog foods. You could also add Natures Logic to the "top level" label. Next to these would be Fromms, Merricks, and the other smaller manufacturers of quality foods.

Acana cost somewhere between $4 and $10 more per 30lb bag that does Fromms. Fromms is likely the most economical of the "near top level" foods.

Then you have products like Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild, which are (or at least should be) high quality foods. The issue is a history of recalls and quality control problems when you don't make your own food or the food is made by one pf the huge conglomerates.

I feed Acana becasuse I really can't afford Orijen. I have feed Fromms in the past and would have no issues going back to it. I really see no reason to feed anything other than one of these three (neither of which has ever had a recall) except for cost.

If I were on a budget I would use Taste of the Wild.

If I were really on a budget, I would look into the Generic Diamond Brand dog foods, which only cost a couple of bucks more than the bags of crap you buy at Wal-Mart, but at least contains quality ingredients in the right order.

And always, go Grain Free, if at all possible.

Hope this helps.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

For you dog owners.... 1 year 7 months ago #67543

• JAJameson2010
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 55
We feed raw also. I attended a very interesting seminar a few years ago. Apparently the "alleged" raw food benefits have been shown with a partial kibble and partial raw diet as well. So if someone isn't comfortable going completely raw, they can go the add in route. Thought that was neat!

Jessica

For you dog owners.... 1 year 7 months ago #67545

• kmuda
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 910
I was following up on Wellness. I would put in the 3rd tier or so of dog foods. While the first three ingredients are quality named meat products, the first is listed at it's wet weight. It's dry weight (actual weight in the kibble) will be 80% less, which means only the 1st two ingredients are named meat products, Chicken Meal and Salmon Meal.

Chicken Meal would be among the least desired named meat products.

Salmon meal may be among the most desired named meat products, assuming it is wild caught salmon, which this probably is not. Farm raised salmon is known to contain high levels of toxins and should be avoided.

Regardless, you can comfortably assume a decent protein ratio from desired protein sources.

This is not, however, a grain free food. If your dog has itchy skin (scratches, bites at their feet, runs up against furniture) you should investigate a grain free diet. Chicken is also one of more allergy causing foods. Lamb, Sheep, Bison, and Wild Caught Fish are less so.

Wellness is a an Ethoxyquin Free food. Fantastic.

Based upon it's cost, if your happy and the dog is doing fine on it (solid stools, not itchy, eyes are nice and clear (not red in the white parts) then stay with it. There are better foods, but at a significantly higher cost.
120g - Tiger Oscar, Parrot Cichlid, SDs | 55g - 24 Year Old Kissing Gourami
55g - Angelfish/Bolivan Rams | 40g GBRs - 20g Apistos
65g Blackwater Planted Discus Tank
4 Cats, 2 Shelties, 1 Rat Terrier, 1 wife, 1 old lady, 1 sub-adult, 1 rug rat.

For you dog owners.... 1 year 7 months ago #67549

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
kmuda wrote:
I was following up on Wellness...

Kmuda....thank-you for taking the time to provide us [me] with a more detailed and targeted response. It's VERY appreciated...you're a good man!! You know what they say, "what comes around goes around". If that's true, which I believe to some degree it is, you sure are storing up a lot of positive karma!!
:greet:

For you dog owners.... 1 year 7 months ago #67554

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 184
Fromms

After a post Kmuda put 2 years ago. Was hard to find a local dealer, but now most private pet shops carry.
Is about 1/4 to a3rd more expensive, but it's a quality food, and he loves it
180 oscar/silver $$s/pleco
75 female JD
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-

For you dog owners.... 1 year 7 months ago #67556

• Perocore
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
If possible, a mix of kibble would probably be best, if raw whole prey is not an option.

The major thing you are looking for in dog food is the ratio of protein, fat, and carbs. Protein should make up the majority, followed by fat. Carbs should be as low as possible, because dogs have little use for them. Just as you want to avoid indigestible material with any animal, avoid foods that are not grain and gluten free. At least the first three ingredients should be meat sources.

A really good resource to check out is Dog Food Advisor, they list a huge collection of different varieties of dog food rated on a 5 star system. Under each dog food is a graph of the protein, fat, and carb breakdown, as well as a detailed description of the ingredients.

Personally, the top food I would recommend is Orijen. kmuda already went into detail on this, so I am not going to. Right now my dogs are on Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural due to availability, but my preferred diet for my standard poodle is Orijen kibble and raw. Orijen is pretty expensive, but I figure that it'll save you future vet bills, haha!

Sorry for your loss, and good luck with the new dog!
-Perocore
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds