Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: O Needs Something to Do

O Needs Something to Do 2 months 1 week ago #72311

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
Usually my Oscar attacks bubbles from my airstone. But now there's barely any left for him to attack since I repositioned it.

I no longer have any room for a tankmate and wouldn't risk it because he can be aggressive + tank to small. So now he's targeting my 2 zebra snails :(

I heard of ping pong balls but don't know if the plastic leeches or anything.

Do any of you know how to keep my O occupied so he could just leave my snails alone?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

O Needs Something to Do 2 months 4 days ago #72317

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 3
I have heard of many people using ping pong balls as toys for fish, especially Oscars. If you were concerned about them leaching chemicals, it would probably take a long time for them to start leaching (there made of celluloid) and the effects would be nonexistent in an Oscar tank with the water changes taking place so often. However if you wanted to be 100% safe you could just buy a bunch and put a new one in like every month... it's like 25 cents a ball.

- Aquamoo

O Needs Something to Do 1 month 1 week ago #72333

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
Thanks, and sorry for not being to soon.

Do you think putting holes in one would be wise? I figured if it's at the bottom of the tank I have no worry that he'll jump out.

O Needs Something to Do 1 month 1 week ago #72336

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
As odd as it sounds, I had a bunch of convict fry that I was raising. When they got to ~3/4", I put three into the 125g Oscar tank. My Oscar hasn't seen a live fish since he left the tank I got him from at the LFS ~2 years prior.

He got one of them fairly quick. One of the others lasted a couple months before it was consumed. The third one is still in there after 4 months. I figured since he survived without being fed intentionally, I'd start feeding him. My point....my Oscar seems more lively since I put the three tiny convicts in his tank. He's patrolling the tank more, playing more etc...

O Needs Something to Do 1 month 6 days ago #72337

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
How much waste do.they produce? My o is real dirty... Especially with a smaller tank I'd be worried he'd get hurt on one of the ornaments.

O Needs Something to Do 4 weeks 1 hour ago #72350

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 494
Convicts are on the cleanly side of spectrum compared to Oscars. They make great tankmates in the proper sized tank.

A large 5ish inch male convict is a seriously underrated fish IMO
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

O Needs Something to Do 3 weeks 6 days ago #72355

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
How about disease, if he gets a hold of one that is.

O Needs Something to Do 3 weeks 6 days ago #72359

• beretta96
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
Oscarmon wrote:
How about disease, if he gets a hold of one that is.

The three I put in there were bred (sp?), born & raised in my tanks. Frequent water changes.....BBS and NLS Growth powder were fed while fry until they were moved into the Oscar tank with the intention of becoming food for him. There's no concern of disease.

I can't remember the last time the Oscar has looked sideways at the surviving convict. Since I've been intentionally feeding the convict 1mm NLS pellets, he's colored up really nice and is even getting some of that deep blue in his fins. I'm rooting for him to survive....gave him hiding spots and such.

Having another fish in the tank seems to be really good for the Oscar....he's much more lively, playful and patrols the entire tank whereas beforehand he pretty much stayed on one half of it.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds