Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Feeding My Oscar

Feeding My Oscar 4 months 2 weeks ago #71879

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi everyone, I have been feeding my two Oscars Hikari Cichlid Gold for the past few months but as they have been growing very fast, their appetites have increased alot and their food bill has been increasing a ton. Anyways I was wondering if you guys knew of any plants I could grow in my garden that would be good for the Oscars. I don't necessarily want to completely stop feeding pellet foods but I would like to cut down on the cost of their food.

Thank you in advance :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Feeding My Oscar 4 months 2 weeks ago #71882

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
Aquamoo wrote:
...and their food bill has been increasing a ton....

What size are the Hikari Cichlid Gold pellets you're feeding? How many pellets are you feeding during a feeding session? How many feeding sessions do you have / day?

I ask because my experience with feeding pellets is the pellets I buy, for any of my fish, tend to last for months.

Also, how old are each of your Oscars?

Feeding My Oscar 4 months 2 weeks ago #71887

• Oscarmon
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 6
There has been varied success with carrots and cucumbers although I've never tried. I use peas because they're full of vitamins and act as a laxative therefore preventing bloat. You can purchase a bag of frozen peas for cheap then thaw them out when needed. Just remember to get rid of the skin and cut them to the wanted size.

Feeding My Oscar 4 months 2 weeks ago #71889

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
Terrestrial vegetables, ie the ones we eat, in fact offer little in nutrition to an Oscar. Aquatic veg is natural and far better as both a food source and a digestive aid. I must also wonder along the lines of beretta's query though... how much food are you actually using? You can feed a pair of Oscars, juvies or adults a high quality, varied diet of pellets, freeze dried and live treats for $10 a month, at most.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Feeding My Oscar 4 months 2 weeks ago #71890

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
what is your feeding cycle?
A bag should last a long time.

how many pellets do you feed?
Do you skip a min of one day a week with no food?
180 oscar/silver $$s/pleco
75 female JD
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-

Feeding My Oscar 4 months 2 weeks ago #71893

• Aquamoo
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 2
I have been using the large pellet size since they were about 5 inches, they are both over 8 inches now with the bigger Oscar closing on 9 inches. As for how much food, I never feed the same amount twice, I keep dropping pellets in until they stop aggressively eating the food, any uneaten food I take out. I have some frozen foods but I haven't fed them to the Oscars in a while as they are very small. I have frozen: blood worms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and some cichlid formula (all of them are omega one). I have never fed my fish live foods although one of my Oscars has killed and eaten two Bala sharks when it was in it's old tank and had a convict cichlid swallowed up to the tail before I pulled it out and gave it a 90 gallon tank. As for how long the pellet's have been lasting, the bag I am currently using is over halfway empty and I've been using it for less than a month. I feed them two times a day, in the morning, and before I go to bed. The Oscars I got at the pet store between seven and nine months ago (I'd have to find my receipt for actual date) and they were both over three inches when I got them. Peas sound like a good idea, i'll try them out. Also thanks to everyone who has answered this post!

Feeding My Oscar 4 months 2 weeks ago #71898

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
How big is your bag of pellets? Is it the 250g bag?

Feeding My Oscar 4 months 2 weeks ago #71899

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 217
At your fish's size and age, once a day feeding is all they require. No feed at least once a week. For live treats I should have been more clear. Earthworms, crickets, mealworms are good , low risk live treats. Feeder fish are never a good idea.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Feeding My Oscar 4 months 2 weeks ago #71900

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 442
Northstar5 wrote:
At your fish's size and age, once a day feeding is all they require. No feed at least once a week. For live treats I should have been more clear. Earthworms, crickets, mealworms are good , low risk live treats. Feeder fish are never a good idea.

Another regular and commen avaible feeder insects and one that is actually very high in protein but not so much in fat as Worms would be cockroachs.
But I would understand anybody that would say "not in my 4 Walls".
They are good feeders but one escaper can be enough to well, you know what will happen :pinch:

For earthworms also it should be said to only use feeder Worms for pet food use and not fishing baits. Fishing bait Worms can be collected from natural sources, in best cases with electricity and in worst case with bleach or several different chemicals.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Feeding My Oscar 4 months 1 week ago #71928

• DMD4321
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 17
@Aquamoo, since gardening was mentioned, here is a great opportunity to raise your own fish safe worms. If you are not using pesticides and start up your own compost you can raise red wigglers quite easily.

Also online shopping for fish food can save a ton of money. Not that I dont want to support local business but my money needs to go further than what the pet stores allow. Buying larger bags of pellets can help too.
My tanks:
300g - H. Pearsei x1, P. heterospilus x1, Bichirs x 6
65B - Hairy Puffer x1
65B - Wild Columbia Oscars x3
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds