Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Oscar isnt eating

My Oscar isnt eating 8 months 1 week ago #71597

• prania
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hi, I have had Lokie for 7 years. He is a big oscar. Over a year ago i put him in a 75 gallon tank (from a 55 gallon)with 2 fluval 306, his tank stays much cleaner,. Well for some reason he hasnt been eating for over a week. when i walk up to the tank he is aggressive and shakes his body and opens his mouth like he is angry. this behavior has been going on for over a week also.

Yesterday i decided to cyphen out the waste from in the pepples of the bottom of the tank and when i put the water back in the tank (just a few gallons and yes i make sure its around the same temp as the tank which is always 78 and i use declorinator), he laid on his side as if he were dead, i mean he wasnt moving. I started freaking out and yelling cause i didnt want him to die and i couldnt figure out what was going on and i couldnt do anything to help him.

so i ran and grabbed the water kit to test the water and it was really strange because there wasnt anything wrong with the water, but not sure anything was right either. there wasnt ANY nitrites or ammonia in the water...isnt that weird? i wonder if he needs vitamins? it was as if the water was missing stuff in it.

the only thing i did do was replace the tubing from the air pumps and there wasnt any air getting into the tank for just a few minutes, could that have done it? i was going to buy another air pump today i wonder if he isnt getting enough oxygen. I only have the 1 air pump but its from the 55 gallon. please advise.

also if you dont think anything i mentioned would have caused his behavior for laying on his side, could he be sick? he doesnt have any wounds and looks very healthy but not eating worries me,

thank you so much!

Phyllis
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My Oscar isnt eating 8 months 1 week ago #71598

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
Sounds like he is still in stress from the tank switch. Some Oscars are more sensetive on rehomig as others.

The on the side laying playing dead is a commen behavior of the Astronotus species and often is a sign of stress or fear.
The Volumen and footprint increase is not that big of an upgrade but he clearly did not setted in his new space.

Did you also switched the tank Layout, is the tank very open or placed on a new spot? Is there a open Background or sides?

I would recommend to place two or three big fake plants like Vallisneria in the tank in the front section so that he can hide. Put a Background on the back and sides if there are non so that he only can see movement from the front and also maybe reduce the tank lights.

Forthe food, he is an adult fish and a week without food is no big deal. An adult Oscar can be around 6 to 7 weeks without food and would still be ok so don't panic. Even if he will not eat for another week. Just offer him like usual 1 or 2 Pellets and wait for a couple of minutes. If he refuses scoop them out and try on the next day.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

My Oscar isnt eating 8 months 1 week ago #71607

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
ive moved my oscar 4 times.. 3 tanks and once i wanted to scrub tank down
every time he quit eating for days.. once for two weeks

when i swapped from hikari pellets to benefishal self made squares he pouted for a week
they are worse then 2 year olds

every saturday i empty 80% of tank and he lays on bottom and pouts
180 oscar/silver $$s/pleco
75 female JD
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sid87Crosby

My Oscar isnt eating 8 months 3 days ago #71654

• prania
  • Poecilia reticulata
okay so Lokie's behavior is just not himself. he is still angry looking. Meaning when i walk up to the tank he is aggressive and looks like he wants to bite me and he still isnt eating,. something is not right with him. any thoughts? i may pick up some crickets for him, he loves them,. he isnt eating at all.

thanks

Phyllis

My Oscar isnt eating 8 months 3 days ago #71655

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
Water parameters are fine?
Also show us the tank if possible. Maybe something is just wrong or we can improve.

My Oscar isnt eating 8 months 3 days ago #71656

• prania
  • Poecilia reticulata
Im sorry I was not very detailed with my previous message. I did his tank last year. Yes I have a back cover on the tank, always have. I also have just 2 plants in there because he makes a mess and drags everything around the tank,

this is another weird thing he has been doing. he takes all the stones on the bottom of the tank and clears a spot on the bottom of the tank so that its clear. and then he turns his head and looks at it and I think he sees his reflection and thinks its another fish??? cause I have to go in there and put stones back and then he would eat, but hes not eating anymore and keeps moving the rocks, any thoughts on that? I think he needs therapy, LOL!

My Oscar isnt eating 8 months 3 days ago #71657

• prania
  • Poecilia reticulata
I wanted to upload a pic and show you how do I do that>?I don't see an upload button?
thanks

My Oscar isnt eating 8 months 3 days ago #71658

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
He seems to be a girl and wants to spawn. Of course it's impossible to be 100% sure without eggs but regulary the digging and cleaning part is mostly started by a female in a pair.

The picture including Button is on the second lane on the menu field. It's in the miedle section on the left from the little "earth" icon.

For the rest like said we need to see some parameters from Nh4 NO2 NO3, temp, water change in %. What did you feed?
Did you feed him something like feeder fish or other exotic live things?

My Oscar isnt eating 8 months 3 days ago #71661

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 123
prania wrote:
I wanted to upload a pic and show you how do I do that>?I don't see an upload button?
thanks

Regarding posting pictures on this site.

I've found it easy to upload and store pictures on Imgur along with getting the links to post images onto message boards so the picture shows inside the thread.
•Create an account on Imgur
•Upload your picture(s) to Imgur
•Copy the BBCode text associated with the image you want to post
•Paste the BBCode text you copied from the Imgur site...be sure the code contains the and tags at the ends of your BBCode you copied from the Imgur site

My Oscar isnt eating 7 months 3 weeks ago #71713

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
is he eating yet?
180 oscar/silver $$s/pleco
75 female JD
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds