Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oscar with Bacterial pitting

Oscar with Bacterial pitting 3 weeks 2 days ago #71209

• dlll
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 49
Well I have been gone for some time from this forum (Not even sure if its still active) and now I have ran into some big problems.

My 2 Oscars in the 150g tank has been doing great until a couple months ago when one of the Oscars finally died after 8 years (give or take) from HITH. He has been battling HITH for the past few years not really getting worse or better until this past July when it suddenly started to get much worse. A month later I had to put him down due to the damage. This wasn't a big surprise considering he has been in poor health for several years. Fast-forward another month my other healthy Oscar banged his head on something and got a fairly large wound. This happens quite a bit, as we all know how clumsy Oscars are. But this time he didn't heal and instead got worse with time. Soon other sores started showing up around his gills. At this point I declared it was probably bacterial pitting and I'm also thinking my other Oscar might have died from bacteria instead of the HITH. So I gave Kmudas Bacterial pitting recipe A try.

After following the treatment things actually started to heal, so I did another round of Neoplex. That last round of Neoplex ended over a week ago and things don't seem to look much better. Its hard to tell considering how bad the one wound was and the other ulcers that seemed to heal are starting to come back :scared2: :scared2:

I'm running out of ideas here and I have spent a @#[email protected] load of money on meds to treat the 150g. Any advice or ideas would be great, I'm getting to the point I may have to just start experimenting with higher doses of meds.

These pics are from before treatment, I will get some of post treatment soon. but the main wound hasn't changed much

this is the original wound
https://imgur.com/a/Yzoo6

this one appeared shortly after but is now healing
https://imgur.com/a/CUweL
https://imgur.com/a/NDvCj
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar with Bacterial pitting 3 weeks 2 days ago #71211

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 84
Sorry to hear you're still having problems. If kmuda's bacterial pitting remedy is not working I would suggest it's probably not bacterial pitting but hith. I have used his remedy on one of my Oscars and it cleared up in a couple of weeks.
I know you're probably sick of being asked but we need your water parameters particularly your Nitrate readings, also your water change schedule. It sounds awfully like a water issue to me.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Oscar with Bacterial pitting 3 weeks 2 days ago #71212

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
BTW photos didn't work for me.

Oscar with Bacterial pitting 3 weeks 2 days ago #71213

• dlll
  • Platinum Boarder
Whoops, will work on getting the pictures working....

Nitrates are at a steady 10-20

I am nearly 100% sure its not HITH because there is very little pitting on the front of the head around the nostrils, instead it started around the gill plates. From what I know HITH almost always starts with the head.

Oscar with Bacterial pitting 3 weeks 2 days ago #71214

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Still thinking that to be HITH, a very serious case.
My only advice, multiple weekly water changes, have to keep Nitrates under 10ppm. Your Oscar's immune system may be severely deficient having been sick for so long, not sure increasing meds would be of any benefit
Is this Oscar the only inhabitant in the 150g?

Oscar with Bacterial pitting 3 weeks 2 days ago #71215

• dlll
  • Platinum Boarder
He is with a pleco, female convict, and a trio of red humped Geos.

Still not sure how I got Aeromonas veronii biovar sobria or some similar bacteria in my tank considering I haven't added anything in the last 2 years. Maybe it came through the water in the well??

I have a fairly good relationship with my vet so I might be able to get some Baytril but the treatment time and length of injections might be a long shot. I also have some Neoplex left so I might try dosing through food. Or my other idea is to use a Tetracycline based medication like www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index.php/fish-c...ne-tetracycline.html at a higher dosage. Considering most Aeromonas are vulnerable to tetracycline and as far as I know Aeromonas veronii biovar sobria is only slightly resistant to it.

Oscar with Bacterial pitting 3 weeks 2 days ago #71216

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 419
HITH can also be caused by an lack of Calcium caused by parasites like flagelants.
When was your last deworming and is the Oscars turds looking normal?

Hard to tell what can be the cause from parasites to stress up to something that could in your well water.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar with Bacterial pitting 3 weeks 12 hours ago #71223

• santamonicahelp
  • Microgeophagus ramirezi
  • Thank you received: 5
Are the fish doing any better?

-Kamran
My name is ?? I work for SantaMonica
Research Studies

Oscar with Bacterial pitting 2 weeks 4 days ago #71233

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 231
dlll, sorry if this has been asked and I'm sure you've got more experience with this than I do, but how much water do you change weekly in this setup? That's a nice size tank, but it's also a very large bio load on it.

I know you mentioned a steady 10-20ppm. Is that on day 7, just before you do a water change?

Reason I ask is, I've been astonished over the years at the number of folks who don't perform the nitrate test properly with the API master test kit. Not saying you are! Just trying to rule that concern out.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants

Oscar with Bacterial pitting 2 weeks 4 days ago #71238

• dlll
  • Platinum Boarder
Currently doing fin level water changes one a week. The Bio load seems large but after 8 years both of the Oscars were only 11 inches and now with only one Oscar its even less.

I'm currently looking at ciprofloxacin, I have found some evidence that ciprofloxacin works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FreshyFesh
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds