Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Weird coloring on Oscar - how do I treat?

Weird coloring on Oscar - how do I treat? 2 weeks 6 days ago #71159

• stonesteven09
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Proud owner of an Oscar and a Pleco
Hello!

We have had our Oscar, Houdini, for about 4 years now. He has been doing really well. A few weeks ago, we moved him into a new tank in our new home. The first day or so was a little rough for him as we think he was in shock; however, he recuperated pretty fast and has been doing well. We have been feeding him frozen krill and he has liked them. We have also offered him silver sides but he hasn't liked those (only ate 1). Well, all of a sudden the past few days, we have noticed this odd coloring on him and it looks like his scales are peeling off. We have looked on other forums and they often suggest that the fish is thrashing against other aquarium objects, but we don't believe this is the case. We want to do what we need to do to help Houdini recover. What do you all suggest? :(

Thanks!

UPDATE: Link to pics
photos.app.goo.gl/nQvEtJj2ORYQZVpx2
Thanks!
Steven
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Weird coloring on Oscar - how do I treat? 2 weeks 6 days ago #71161

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 112
:welcome:

Thanks for reaching out. I'm confident you'll get some good help here. Pardon my asking a ton of questions to help everyone get their bearings on your situation.
  • Approximately how long is your Oscar?
  • What size tank did he spend the last ~4 years in? Did he have any tank mates?
  • What was the normal temperature, ammonia, nitrate & nitrate levels during that time? Do you test the levels with a liquid kit or test strips?
  • What size tank did you move him to? Does he currently have any tank mates?
  • What type of filtration do you have on the new tank? What's the current temperature?
  • Was the new tank previously used for other fish? If so, did the tank sit empty prior to moving your new Oscar over to the new tank?

I will defer to the more experienced on the board but if you're sure the white splotches aren't due to physical scrapes, my first thought is he's developed some type of fungus. Do the white splotches have a cottony appearance? Will you describe the texture of the white splotches? How long has he had them? Do they seem to be changes shapes or growing/decreasing in size?

Weird coloring on Oscar - how do I treat? 2 weeks 6 days ago #71162

• stonesteven09
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks for replying so quick. We have a 55 gallon tank.. He is maybe 8 inches long? He has spent the last 4 years in this same tank and most of that time has been with his tank mate, a pretty large pleco. I'm not sure all of the different levels but the temperature has been about 75 degrees. We will be testing the water ASAP. We have two pretty large filters and the temperature is 75 degrees. They aren't exactly white splotches but more just where the scales appear to be missing. The discoloration where his scales WERE is growing in size daily. This first started about 1.5 days ago.
Thanks!
Steven

Weird coloring on Oscar - how do I treat? 2 weeks 6 days ago #71163

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 83
Your Oscar looks very stunted for a 4 year old fish, which could be due to his tank size and water conditions.
Very important that we get your water parameter results, have you ever tested or had the water tested?
When you moved the tank how did you do it? Were the filters left empty and if so for how long? What type of filters are they?
Also how often and what percentage of tank water do you change? Do you use a water conditioner?
As beretta has said lots of questions, but it is the best way for us to understand what might be happening with your Oscar.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Weird coloring on Oscar - how do I treat? 2 weeks 6 days ago #71164

• stonesteven09
  • Poecilia reticulata
We put Houdini in a a large bucket with the water from his tank and moved him. One filter was from the tank from before move and then we bought a heavier duty filter after we moved him. Pictures are not the best. He is about 8 or 9 inches. He literally has a piece of skin hanging off of him, like a flap. We do use a water conditioner.
Thanks!
Steven

Weird coloring on Oscar - how do I treat? 2 weeks 5 days ago #71165

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 412
Houdini looks deformed and is like allready said stunted. 8" is a regular size for a 1 year old Oscar not 4. He shold be at least be 10+"

Your tank size is with the side stock around 120% under the recommended minimum size. It is not possible to maintain such a small body of water for such a large fish let alone two.

Your fish suffered long term from a lack of trace elements and maybe high worths of Nh4 NO2 and NO3.

Actually he looks very pale, most likley a lose of slime coating caused by chloride and by getting catched by net or getting damaged by a ruff plastic container or net

There is no question about it that there is already long term damage to the fish and that his life span will be shortened by this.

What you need is to provide us with your actual Water parameters.
You will most likley improve your eqipment and water change maintaince long term and depending on the water parameters usw medical drugs short term.

A good rule of thumb for your tank size about water changes and filtration will be found on the side.

I would still recommend 4 weekly 40 to 50% water changes after you measured the original parameters to get rid of possible Ammonia nd NO2 and to sink NO3.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Weird coloring on Oscar - how do I treat? 2 weeks 5 days ago #71166

• stonesteven09
  • Poecilia reticulata
THANKs! I’m actually going to just go to another place for help which is less judgemental. When you’re coming in asking for support and you get remarks like that, not cool. Obviously I know something is wrong and I need to correct.
Thanks!
Steven

Weird coloring on Oscar - how do I treat? 2 weeks 5 days ago #71167

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
Unfortunate you feel the way you do Steven. I don't see any judgemental comments, only solid facts about why your fish is the way it is. It didn't make itself that way, you did. You wont find any better answers on any other reputable forum. You recognize a problem, you recognize a need to correct. Why bail out on us now?? Follow advice, learn basic cichlid needs and care and your fish may survive for a while longer.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Weird coloring on Oscar - how do I treat? 2 weeks 5 days ago #71168

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 412
I never said you did it on purpose but fact is there are major damages done to that fish and you should know this and improve the Situation.
If you are here to hear answers like add medican X to the water and you are fine than you are for sure in the wrong place.
Still your Oscar is in Bad shape even without that nasty skin and slime coating problem. His poroptions are not ok. His head and eyes are to big for the body the belly is fallen in and his fins are also kind of curled also he is to strached for an Astronotus and way to small, this are all indicators for a fish that was the majority of his life not propper keeped.

If you wanna do the work i would still provide you with advice as best as I could to improve Houdinis condition what would be a full treatment first with improving the skin problem than a propper treatment against ecto and internal parasites up to impoving nutrition and water by getting propper trace elements in that fish still like said there is allready permanently damage that is done and can't be repaired. He will stay an ugly duckling, we may get him maybe another inch in growth and some meat on him also free from illnes and parasites but the Deformations are permanently and also his potential life span between 12 to 15+ years will suffer from his past years in Bad conditions.

Well, maybe Kmuda will also give his 2 Cents to this.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds