Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How many Oscars can I start?

How many Oscars can I start? 2 months 2 days ago #71080

• LEHELGY
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hi All!

I have a 120 g tank and I'd like some Oscars. I know that this tank is recommended only for two adult fishes. But how much juvenile fishes should I buy at first? Should I buy only two of them or should I buy a few of them, and as they are getting old, I sold them until only remaining two of them?

Thanks in advance,
George
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How many Oscars can I start? 2 months 2 days ago #71081

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 203
I would recommend only the 2. Dimensions of the tank, and general difficulty in Oscar matching will play roles. Starting with several will surely fail in a short time. Rapid growth may prevent you from selling some in a timely manner as well. Oscars are a dime a dozen so to speak, and even giving them away is often tough. I personally wouldn't consider a 120g a permanent home for two Oscars. Good for a few months, but as the fish get to 7-8ins, 120g becomes quite small in volume and footprint. Think 6x2x2 180g as a permanent home for 2 Oscars. If you have ever seen a very large adult of 14+ins and over a kilo in weight, you should get an idea of the space these large cichlids require.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LEHELGY

How many Oscars can I start? 2 months 1 day ago #71082

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 114
:welcome:

I second Northstar's guidance with one possible exception....that you have someone waiting to take the undesired Oscar(s) after they reach 5-6" each. As Northstar indicated, a 120g tank has descent volume for a couple full grown Oscars, however the four foot width is a bit tight for a single 12-15" fish.....let alone a couple of them.

If it's important for you to give your pet a test run before committing to their long term care, I suggest getting 3-5 2" Oscars only if you have someone who is willing to take them off your hands in 3 months. After three months, those 2" Oscars will be 5-6". You'll start seeing nitrate issues and they'll start making that 120g tank look small. At that point you can pick your favorite and then enjoy him/her for years to come.

As a general rule, for the long term care of an Oscar, you'll want to maintain nitrate levels at 20ppm or below. That will be very challenging with two full grown Oscars in a 120g....impossible, absolutely not.....challenging - absolutely!! You'll need to be prepared for two large water changes (eg 80%+) per week to maintain the optimal nitrate level.

What filter(s) are you planning to run on the 120g? Are you familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle?

How many Oscars can I start? 2 months 1 day ago #71085

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 84
Did something very similar about 4 years ago, bought 6 juvie oscars hoping to get a compatible pair. Unfortunately it was instant aggression so I had to remove the 2 most aggressive which happened to be Lutinos. The remaining 4 were certainly less aggressive but I started having a battle controlling nitrate levels, so 2 more had to go.
So I would suggest for a 120 try 2 but be prepared to remove one if the need be.
In the end I was just lucky to get 2 compatible oscars who it would seem are females.
A 120 is a perfect home for a single Oscar.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

How many Oscars can I start? 2 months 1 day ago #71088

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 57
i agree with whats been said so far. just because two juvies pair off doesn't mean they will get along in the long run. in two years from now they could go from being okay to one trying to kill the other. i would have back up plan just in case it doesn't work out.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 Blue neon peacock
6 cobue peacock fry
3 female cobue peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
red finned, blue and white marbled Delta tail betta
1 mystery snail

30 gallon
20 cobue peacock fry

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

How many Oscars can I start? 2 months 1 day ago #71091

• LEHELGY
  • Poecilia reticulata
Does Oscar tolerate the solitariness?

How many Oscars can I start? 2 months 1 day ago #71092

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 57
they do tolerate solitariness. in a 120 gallon you could attempt some silver dollars, or a servum

possibilities are wide open but some prefer to be a lone and may not tolerate tank mates. it's depending on the personalities
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 Blue neon peacock
6 cobue peacock fry
3 female cobue peacocks
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
red finned, blue and white marbled Delta tail betta
1 mystery snail

30 gallon
20 cobue peacock fry

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

How many Oscars can I start? 2 months 1 day ago #71093

• LEHELGY
  • Poecilia reticulata
Can I mate Oscar with Megalechis thoracata (eats the rest of food)?

How many Oscars can I start? 2 months 1 day ago #71095

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 203
The Hoplo cat may be able to cope in an Oscar tank, but would have to be full size. As for eating the rest of the food... the remedy for that is take care in what and how much you feed Oscar. Offer the best quality, and varied diet you can manage, but never overfeed. Not good for the Oscar, its environment, or your wallet,lol. . Extra caution must always be taken when considering catfish, or similar bottom feeders. The big ones like Red Tail cats, Tiger Shovelnose, full size common plecos are too much for average home aquariums. Smaller species may be eaten, or attempted to be eaten by the big mouth Oscar. Its not uncommon for Oscar to take a stab at smaller cats, only to have the spiny fish stuck in Oscars mouth/throat. End result is often both fish dead. To echo responses to one of your questions, yes indeed, Oscars live alone just fine. Other fish are competition for space and food, especially so in a smallish tank. Yes, 120g is smallish when considering very large bodied cichlids
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds