Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Transfer trauma

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71069

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 113
Gator2249 wrote:
Garden hose

Well water or municipal? If municipal, it's highly likely your municipality uses chlorine or chloramine to kill harmful in the water that causes ill effects to humans. Unfortunately chlorine and chloramine doesn't discriminate and also kills the beneficial bacteria that makes an aquarium healthy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71070

• Gator2249
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
So GE II is the problem and I made it worse by pulling and rinsing filters/media. If that's the case why is one Oscar showing signs of recovery though? If the GE II is the problem wouldn't everything continue declining? And if that is the problem is the solution draining and resealing with GE I or does that stabilize at some point and just do daily small water changes to not tax the cycling too much?

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71071

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Gator2249 wrote:
....If that's the case why is one Oscar showing signs of recovery though?
That's a great question. Is the Oscar that's showing signs of improvement in the 75g or the 90g? I apologize for struggling to keep all the facts in order.

Gator2249 wrote:
....If the GE II is the problem wouldn't everything continue declining?
Yeah...you'd think. We'll have to see if the improvement continues.

Gator2249 wrote:
.....And if that is the problem is the solution draining and resealing with GE I or does that stabilize at some point and just do daily small water changes to not tax the cycling too much?
Unfortunately I believe resealing would be the best option. Additionally, water changes have nothing to do with losing a cycle. The bacteria that consumes ammonia & nitrite don't live in the water column, they primarily live in the media found in your filter(s). As long as the media doesn't dry out, the bacteria that have colonized on the biomedia can live for 24 hours or so without processing ammonia/nitrite to stay alive.

What type of hob and canister filter are you using?

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71072

• Gator2249
  • Poecilia reticulata
It's city water. The one in the 90 still is doing better. I wouldn't say good though, in fact I'm thinking of putting him in the 75 too. His fin rot has really cleaned up and he's more active, but seems off balance. He's staying at the top of the tank, sometimes floating on his side which he wasn't doing earlier. My plants are uneffected and silvers seem the same regardless of tank. Im worried putting him in the 75 will result in the fin rot resurging. Wish I could find symptoms of silicone poisoning to better help narrow down the cause.

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71073

• Gator2249
  • Poecilia reticulata
I forgot to add, it's a aqueon 75 and sun sun 303b I think.

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71074

• Ernie14
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 84
Could be the silicon, might pay to contact manufacturer and ask if product is fish safe.
I think you have compounded your problem by destroying your beneficial bacteria by "hosing media' with mains water. beretta gave you a really good explanation as to why this not the way to clean media. Media should be gently rinsed in TANK water so as not to disturb your bacteria colony.
So now it would seem that you have 2 uncycled tanks with already unwell fish. If you understand the cycling process you realise that it will be a couple of months before your tanks are cycled again.
How long have your fish been experiencing these problems? I'm a little confused reading your posts, you say you're seeing signs of improvement?
Again what are you testing your water with?
Are you using a water conditioner like Prime?
Would also suggest removing carbon from filters, not necessary in fact can be quite harmful.
Might pay to read up on osmotic shock, this is where fish are introduced into completely different water parameters and can go into shock and die. This may be relevant in your situation when your fish have come from 40ppm+ nitrate into an uncycled tank?
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Transfer trauma 2 months 11 hours ago #71075

• Gator2249
  • Poecilia reticulata
Latest update, one large Oscar has died, the one quarantined. Talked to aquarium expert in the area, he thinks it was the introduction of infected silver dollars, one was/is still fighting off the infection and the other was unable to overcome it. He thinks the silicone could be a factor but thinks the infected fish is the main culprite. Well see how the others do over time.

Transfer trauma 2 months 4 hours ago #71076

• Gator2249
  • Poecilia reticulata
I can't believe I never knew about osmotic shock. That actually explains alot. The oscar that continues to improve is the largest, perhaps that helped increase resiliance. I do use prime. And I think the silicone issue is officially ruled out - my buddy has had more of the exact same silicone in his 55 gal tank with no problem at all. I think the chronic levels of nitrates and then sudden transfer to 98% new water caused the issue, which I probably made worse trying to fix it. I'm now second guessing if they had fin rot or it was the osmotic shock. Painful lesson learned. Today the surviving Oscar is swimming correctly and more actively and having bowel movements, though still not eating yet. Color is still darker than usual, but now dealing with a cycling tank, hopefully using stability will get him through it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Transfer trauma 1 month 4 weeks ago #71077

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 203
Be wary of using Stability or any other quick-cycle additives. These products may show a quick jump start, but will crash soon enough. Water changes are the only sure way to protect fish from toxins. A good, reliable option would be to get some seeded bio media from another established system(your buddy?) and put that media in your canister filter
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Transfer trauma 1 month 4 weeks ago #71078

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
@ Gator....I'm glad you're getting your mind around the situation better. I appreciate you giving us feedback and status updates...that's pretty cool!!

With respect to the osmotic shock diagnosis Ernie raised....I'm kicking myself for missing that. I just went back and read your original post and realized I'd missed where you said the nitrates were regularly over 40ppm prior to recently introducing weekly 50% water changes. My apologies for missing it - I'm glad Ernie was on top of it.

How many 50% weekly water changes had you performed before you started seeing the issues? Did your 50% water changes coincide with your move from the 75g tank to the freshly sealed 90g tank?

All of that said, the deaths of the three newly introduced SD's don't seem to reconcile with the osmotic shock diagnosis. I wonder if their deaths were from the small ammonia and nitrite spikes?
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds