Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Transfer trauma

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71059

• Gator2249
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
Long story to give as much detail i can. Im desperate. I upgraded from a 75g to 90gal tank for my pair of longfin Oscars who were the only inhabitants other than 3 snails. I resealed the 90 with GE II door and window and let cure for 72 hours. Used the same hob and canister filters and gravel. I added 3 silver dollars a day or so after the upgrade. Oscars and SD started to develop fin rot. A couple SD died and I started treating with some natural petco product. They continued to decline so I started with melafix and pimafix. Water levels had ammonia go up to .25 at one point, nitrite had a small spike, nothing crazy, and nitrates were around 20. Prior to transfer with 50% water changes weekly I was usually over the 40 for nitrate. One Oscar is recovering, more active but no where near where he was and still not eating. The other continued to decline, float at weird angles and get blown around by the filter. I added 3 more SD to bring the school to 5 thinking if they are contaminated at least it's already being treated. Within a day one SD died with no signs of rot. Apple snails are fine though I think may be spending more time towards the top. I've set up a hospital tank using the canister filter and split the remaining 4 SD between both tanks as sort of canaries. The recovering Oscar had turned very dark, almost black, and still is not eating and sporadically swims around or floats near the surface, at times in his side. The sicker one is lying flat on the bottom of the hospital tank, if swear was dead if not still breathing. Both tanks continue to be treated, both have salt now, but oddly ammonia is 0, nitrite are 0, and nitrate are 0 in both tanks. I am at a loss as to what happened, how to save my Oscars, or at worst correct and prevent for the future. Thoughts/ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71060

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 113
:welcome:
How confident are you that your filters were fully cycled?

Were your SD's and Oscars acting fine and healthy prior to resealing the 90g with GE II? I know GE I silicone is aquarium safe. I believe the GE II isn't due to mold inhibitors and/or additives that aren't conducive to aquarium use.

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71061

• Gator2249
  • Poecilia reticulata
Very confident they were cycled prior, been running maybe 6-9 months. The SD were new, got them a day or so after I switched to the 90 gal tank. I've heard mixed reviews about the GE II, that's why I split the AD between hospital tank and the 90, figuring if the ones in the 90 start acting sick or die then I can be pretty confident it's the silicone. I talked to one aquarium shop that said it's probably just being in the new tank because I didn't save the water and that the fluctuations even at low levels is what shocked the fish. I'm using stabilize now at there suggestion. Not convinced either way, but maybe the readings all dropping to 0 is a sign something, like a silicone contagion, is at work?

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71062

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Not saving the water isn't the issue.

I'd like to better understand what you did with the fully cycled biomedia that was in the 75g before you put it in the 90g. Was the biomedia in the 75g processing ammonia up until you moved it to the filters on the 90g? Was there ever a time when the cycled media wasn't processing ammonia or dried out?

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71063

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 84
Also what are you testing water parameters with? A cycled tank should always have a nitrate reading.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71064

• Gator2249
  • Poecilia reticulata
No, powered down less than an hour as the 75g finished draining and the 90g filled enough to start the filters back up.

After the fish started rotting and dying I pulled the cartridges from the 75g and the carbon from the canister so as to maximize the pimafix/melafix. After several days of that and suspicion rising about the silicon I added 2 new filter inserts to the hob and rinsed out the media in the canister and put the carbon bag back in it. Perhaps rinsing killed off all the bacteria?

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71065

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Ernie14 wrote:
...cycled tank should always have a nitrate reading.

Exactly where I was going Ernie. That said, I'm very suspicious the GE II is causing problems but performing the canary in the coal mine test should sort that out - assuming the filters on each tank have enough beneficial bacteria in them to handle the toxin load in both tanks.

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71066

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 84
Gator2249 wrote:
No, powered down less than an hour as the 75g finished draining and the 90g filled enough to start the filters back up.

Perhaps rinsing killed off all the bacteria?

Rinsed in tank water or tap water?
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71067

• Gator2249
  • Poecilia reticulata
Garden hose

Transfer trauma 2 months 1 day ago #71068

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Gator2249 wrote:
Excellent!!

Gator2249 wrote:
....I pulled the cartridges from the 75g...from the canister.....I added 2 new filter inserts to the hob and rinsed out the media in the canister
Not excellent.

Gator2249 wrote:
....Perhaps rinsing killed off all the bacteria?
That's exactly my concern. I'm concerned you've killed or gotten rid of your beneficial bacteria.

My suspicion is the GE II was poisoning your fish. While setting up a coal mine of sorts to see if the canary dies, you killed off your beneficial bacteria.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds