Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: (FIXED PHOTOS) Strange marking on my Oscar

(FIXED PHOTOS) Strange marking on my Oscar 1 month 3 weeks ago #70852

Hi :)
I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to Oscar care, but my dad will help me alot when he visits.
My Oscar currently has a large, white, circular mark on the top of his head close to his fin. He's pretty clumsy and likes to ram into things, so I always assumed they were just impact marks, specially since they come and go.
I looked up common illnesses and disease for Oscar fish, but Google mostly showed alot of HITH or ick. Nothing really close to what mine has.
So any help would be nice :)

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Strange marking on my Oscar 1 month 3 weeks ago #70856

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 111
:welcome:

Hi Jessica....the pictures you posted on photobucket don't seem to be coming through. Photobucket no longer allows people to share photos without paying a fee. However, there are a couple other free options for you to share picture's of your Oscar's problem ....
1. Google pictures
2. IMGUR

There is a thread on this site discussing how to post pictures using IMGUR www.oscarfish.com/forum/off-topic-chit-c...-profile-update.html

If you'll repost your pictures using a service that will allow others to see them, I'm confident you'll get people here to give you advice on how to help your Oscar. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jessica89angel

(FIXED PHOTOS) Strange marking on my Oscar 1 month 3 weeks ago #70860

Thank you for getting back to me :) I had no idea they didn't work...
Hopefully they are fixed now :)

(FIXED PHOTOS) Strange marking on my Oscar 1 month 3 weeks ago #70861

• Ernie14
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 81
Pictures appear on my mobile but not my desktop?
Looks like a scrape to me so plenty of clean water through water changes will get things back to normal.
Can you tell us what your water parameters are particularly your nitrate level?
BTW welcome
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

(FIXED PHOTOS) Strange marking on my Oscar 1 month 3 weeks ago #70862

• Ernie14
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Another thing is your tank cycled?
Could you give us as much info on your setup as you can, tank size, filter type, tank mates how long you have had your Oscar?
Would be interested to see what other members say may be a little more sinister than just a scrape.

(FIXED PHOTOS) Strange marking on my Oscar 1 month 3 weeks ago #70865

Tank mates are two common Pleco and a Pictus catfish. Also one stubborn Rosy that the Oscar doesnt want to eat. I got all of them in February of 2016, so all but the Rosy are over a year old. 36 gallon tank. I have a SunSun Cannister filter with built in UV sterilizer, 525 GPH. I haven't tested the water in quite a bit, but my nitrates have always ran a little high. It would help if I did more water changes, I manage to get one per week, but I'll start doing it more often.

(FIXED PHOTOS) Strange marking on my Oscar 1 month 3 weeks ago #70867

• Ernie14
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Sorry to be the bearer of really bad news but your current setup is extremely inadequate for your current stocking. It is recommended that a single Oscar have a 75 gallon tank to himself and filtration to match.
I would suspect your nitrate level to be off the chart and having a very detrimental effect on your fish.
We can help with plenty of advice but depends on the level you are prepared to go. Are you in the position to get a much bigger tank and beef up your filtration? Your current stocking would require a tank in the 180gallon range!
Really need to know your current water parameters Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate levels.
Once again sorry but we can help.

(FIXED PHOTOS) Strange marking on my Oscar 1 month 3 weeks ago #70868

I'm not too surprised. When I originally got the tank, all of the fish were tiny babies, I didnt expect them to grow to their current sizes.
I am in the process of getting a much larger tank and stand though. When I get some more test strips this weekend, I'll be sure to right down the levels. They all seem active and healthy, so I never really gave much thought that something could be harming them.

(FIXED PHOTOS) Strange marking on my Oscar 1 month 3 weeks ago #70869

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
Your Oscar is producing excessive slime coat as a natural defense to toxins in the water. Every time it brushes up against something, a swipe mark is left behind. Indeed the bigger(MUCH) tank and filtration is way overdue. Also, re testing.. get a liquid test kit. Strips are very inaccurate at the best of times. API liquid kit is most trusted. Until a new tank comes in, ease the fish into fresher water. Do 25% per day for several days then up to 50%. Ernie14 was not exaggerating on the 180g recommendation. Common plecos are an incredible strain on water quality. They really offer nothing for tank cleaning, the waste they produce far outweighs anything else. You may want to consider rehoming them, or at least one.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

(FIXED PHOTOS) Strange marking on my Oscar 1 month 3 weeks ago #70872

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 111
Northstar5 wrote:
....Until a new tank comes in, ease the fish into fresher water. Do 25% per day for several days then up to 50%.

@ Jessica....Don't underestimate the importance of doing what Northstar outlined above. He's talking you through how to help your fish avoid osmoregulatory shock. It's essentially when your fish condition themselves to be able to handle a high amount of toxins in the water and then all of a sudden are subjected to non-toxic water.

The clean water (ie. water without toxins) is obviously a healthier option for a fish but not all of a sudden after they've conditioned themselves to survive in a toxic environment.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds