Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recovering Oscar

Recovering Oscar 2 months 2 weeks ago #70909

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 412
From my experinance this fish looks done. Also 0 ppm Nitrate is not possible with an Oscar in an tank. I am Sorry to say but i would try to cycle the tank propperly and start from scratch.

Maybe it's just the picture but he looks almost dead, grey pale and with weird looking almost slime coat damaged skin.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Recovering Oscar 2 months 2 weeks ago #70911

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 112
Lori....is he eating? When was the last time he ate?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lori919

Recovering Oscar 2 months 2 weeks ago #70912

• Lori919
  • Poecilia reticulata
I know, I think it is strange too , but I am using the API liquid water tests and following directions and both the ammonia and the nitrates always come up colored on the 0 ppm. He is also the only Oscar in the tank and has new filters. The water was cloudy 3 days ago and now it looks clear again, however he has those weird patches on his skin. I thought it was his skin healing maybe from when he had ick a week and half ago (he literally lost all his slime, and I added stress coat to help him after) but now we have the white patches. He is alive and swimming around the tank, that was just the only picture where I could get him up close.

One thing I have noticed right after he came out of his nitrogen poisoning was his buoyancy. He was always kinda on his side...but now when he swims I can tell if he is at the bottom of the tank he will magically float up (not belly up but you know what I mean)...and still when he is at the bottom sometimes he floats on his side.

This is the pic I was trying to post earlier but somehow it posted the same twice

He tried to eat earlier, one of his pellets but he spit it out. last time he ate something and kept it in was 2 days ago.. I am going to try and feed him peas tomorrow. and continue the melafix. that white patch on top of his head worries me. As you can see on his side toward his tail, that used to be a white patch as well but the skin fell off it and now it looks like that.

I also read up on paraguard. Is that better than using the melafix?

Thank you guys for responding and following up on him.... I guess I am trying to do whatever I can for him, as long as he is swimming and eating I think he can still fight this, but if it comes a time when he is sitting at the bottom of the tank gasping for air and not moving like he was when he was in nitrate poisoning I will try to humanely euthanize....I just don't want to cross that bridge yet.

Is there a better water testing kit than the API?

Thanks,

Lori

Recovering Oscar 2 months 2 weeks ago #70913

• Lori919
  • Poecilia reticulata
:( I really hope not Toom

Recovering Oscar 2 months 2 weeks ago #70914

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 83
Lori, all credit to you for the effort you are putting into this sick little Oscar.
I would hold back on anymore medication and just see if there are any signs of improvement in the next day or two. Your Oscar is showing all the signs of long term exposure to poor water conditions, loss of slime coat, cloudy eye and possible swim bladder infection. As tough as oscars can be your little fella looks to be near the end.
Clove oil is a very humane method to use if you have to go down the euthanisa path.
We all respect the efforts you are going to.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Recovering Oscar 2 months 2 weeks ago #70915

• Lori919
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks Ernie, I'm going to continue water changes ... he swims around and is asking for food but that white spot is scary. His nitrates are up again, so I did a 30% water change. Here is something weird... my boyfriend brought his kit over and it measured nitrates in the 20 ppm and his test measuresbit at 40. Both API... I'm so confused and upset... borderline crying.. because I've been testing his water a lot only to find out my kit is possibly bad....

Thanks everyone for your input.. honestly I feel like giving up but the fact he's swimming around and asking for food gives me a very very tiny amount of hope. Stopping the melafix and just going to focus on his water for now..... :(

Recovering Oscar 2 months 2 weeks ago #70916

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
One thing about the API nitrate test is it will test low readings if Bottle #2 is adequately shaken. Shaking for 30 seconds like the directions say isn't good enough. You have to shake vigorously for at least 60 seconds. Many of us do so for ~2 minutes.

Lots of large water changes due to the tank not being cycled and fresh water is always good for a sick fish.

Recovering Oscar 2 months 2 weeks ago #70917

• Lori919
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thank you! Will do so... I was thinking 5 -6 gallons daily since he's in a 42 gallon tank. And yes learned that the hard way with the API test :/ I'm disappointed in myself...

Recovering Oscar 2 months 2 weeks ago #70919

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Lori919 wrote:
....I was thinking 5 -6 gallons daily since he's in a 42 gallon tank. And yes learned that the hard way with the API test :/ I'm disappointed in myself...

Lori....in my opinion, to make it through this, he's going to need LARGE water changes....daily. Around here, "large water changes" is generally considered anything 80% of the tank's volume or greater. The best medication for large cichlids is clean water. Any medications you apply to the tank will require clean, pristine water to be effective. Frankly, 5-6 gallons a day isn't going to be adequate for an Oscar that seems to be in the condition yours is in.

I'm definitely not the best around here at identifying fish ailments and diagnosing effective treatments, but I've been trying to learn from those around here who are good at it and much more experienced than I. Based on what I can tell right now, my suggestion is for you to change 30+ gallons of water each day for the next 3-4 days and see if he makes it through.

With either fish or humans, I'm not a fan of randomly medicating in hopes that you'll find something that works. IMO, medication should only be used when you have strong reason to believe the medication will be addressing something specific.

In that regard, with the exception of your very first picture that shows some sort of fungus or bacterial infection, along with the picture where you showed his cloudy eye (likely from ammonia exposure), I can't derive much from the other pictures.

The one picture that was applied twice into a single post gives the appearance he's on the verge of death but honestly, he doesn't look much different than my healthy Oscar when I'm doing a water change. I think I see the "white spot" you said is worrying you in the double posted picture but I can't tell if that's his natural lutino coloring or some malady. I don't recognize anything abnormal in either of the other two pictures you posted.

I can't see the white fungus from your first picture in any of the subsequent pictures so I'm assuming that is no longer a concern?

Based on what I can derive from the pictures and my assumption the white fungus is no longer a concern, while also taking into consideration your tank isn't cycled, it seems the biggest issue to address is to protect him from ammonia poisoning....which means lots of large, daily water changes.

I haven't been able to get a good enough look at the "scary white spot". Based on what I've seen so far, it doesn't seem scary to me but that may be more of a function of my interpretation of the provided pictures and less about your assessment of it validly being scary.

Based on what I can derive from your pictures and descriptions thus far, my suggestion is:
1. 80%+ water changes everyday for the next three days and reassess.
2. Keep trying to get him to eat and take note of how he interacts with the food at each feeding. If he's not taking food, keep trying to feed him multiple times throughout the day. If he's eating, he still has the will to live.
3. If you're using carbon in your filtration system, get rid of it. It does no good unless you're trying to remove medications and similar from your tank.
4. Keep us updated.

You're doing good Lori!! Fish need more people like you!! :greet:

Recovering Oscar 2 months 2 weeks ago #70921

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
The Melafix isn't helping. A.. its a very mild, borderline useless thing. B.. any med, even effective ones are rendered useless in anything less that very clean water. Water changes are critical here. Daily, 80% as recommended.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds