Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help with finding a new tank

Help with finding a new tank 2 months 4 weeks ago #70831

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 412
Ancistrus are kind of a yes and no. I had them with Oscars in an 200 x 70 x 60 cm Tank and the Astronutus that where on the bigger end with 35/36 cm totally ignored them. Otherwise we have proofen attacks and eaten Ancistrus plecos by Oscars of members. I would say if you want a pleco get something bigger like an L114 or red Bruno.

If you mean by Epalzeorhynchos frenatum than also an clear NONO from me. They mostly stay between 11 and 13 cm, max out by about 15. They are long and have an slim body, this is deffently an future meal size fish.
Oscars can be bullys and if you want side Stock if tank size, filtration and water change frequenty allows it it needs something that can't be eaten and something that will not die in fear cowardly staying in a corner.

I would let the Oscar be alone and like said buy an red Bruno or L114 allready a little bigger than they are slow growers. Maybe 2 pairs of flag cichlids/ mesonautra will also work but you can't keep big cichlids and like 95% of regular aquarium fish that you see and know from stores together. The Oscar will eat them.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help with finding a new tank 2 months 4 weeks ago #70835

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 57
no on the rainbow shark.

The rainbow shark will be half the size of your Oscar and will become a midnight snack one night.

The bn pleco, sometimes an Oscar has been known to eat catfish or if they can't eat them, will kill them. It's up to you if you want to take that chance or not.

A better tank mate would be a servum or a jack dampsey or something similar in size or can hold their own against an Oscar if they need too
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Help with finding a new tank 2 months 3 weeks ago #70836

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 112
An Oscar and another similarly sized cichlid in anything less than a tank that is 6 feet wide & 2 feet deep is asking for trouble in terms of both nitrate & aggression management. If the two manage to get along, you will be required to do multiple 80% water changes each week to keep the nitrates at a level where it will allow your two fish to maximize their longevity.

With the size tanks you've been considering, I recommend keeping only the Oscar in it.

Help with finding a new tank 2 months 3 weeks ago #70838

• Ernie14
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 83
Great advice as always has been given, you have some decisions to make.
I'm in the keeping your Oscar solo camp, as beretta96 has mentioned dealing with possible aggression and battling nitrate control is going to be a real problem.
In my opinion nothing will rob you more quickly of your fishkeeping enjoyment than battling these two problems. Watching fish rip each other apart is not fun and being forced to do multiple weekly water changes can be a lot of work.
Buy the biggest tank you can for your Oscar and hang around the forum to learn as much as you can, good luck.
150 gallon 2x Tiger Oscars

Help with finding a new tank 2 months 3 weeks ago #70841

• Rob167
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 180
I also used Hikari and have swapped over to dr tims bene- fish powder.
You add whatever you want ( they sell garlic, peas, shrimp, etc)
And you freeze them like ice cubes

Northfin is awesome food but sinks
Unlike the hikari
So if you have stones or rocks as substrate you waste a lot of food and it's needs to be cleaned more than hikari ( imo)

I also rescued oscars in too small a tank and before I upgraded to the 200, a 75g is a great tank and easy to maintain

If your friend is serious about raising the Oscar it's a good investment
Places in US like petsmart
Sell an ensemble with glass lids and Led lights
180 oscar/JD/pleco
75 peacock and eB
125 Malawi
29 Serpae / danios/ angel
10g dwarf gaurami / Neon tetras

98 lb Irish cream Labrador retriever
200 year old miserable jack Russell rat thing ( came with wife)- RIP 6/11/17
2 english bulldogs
9 year old- for sale- doesn't do chores-

Help with finding a new tank 2 months 3 weeks ago #70854

• Novafish
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hi!

Sorry for being quiet for a bit and thanks for all the replies.

I was seeing about a tank. The one I've found is approximately 6 1/2' long, 2' wide and 1 1/2 feet high which is about 142 gallons. We're pretty tempted to go with this one as it sounds like it will provide ample space.

I'm not sure if all oscars do this but he eats hikari sinking pellets hole.

I think I'll take his smaller fish and he can keep the oscar and maybe if he wants to, get some bigger ones later on.

Help with finding a new tank 2 months 3 weeks ago #70857

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 112
Hi Nova.....great to hear from you!!

It's awesome you found a 142 gallon tank!! That will be more than adequate for a single Oscar and should also allow you to put a second similarly size fish in there. As you decorate the tank, be sure to put things in there that will cut off the fish's site lines and allow them to claim areas as their own.
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds