Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help with finding a new tank

Help with finding a new tank 1 month 1 day ago #70818

• Novafish
  • Poecilia reticulata
Hi,

I'm new here and already have a form of emergency.

I'm looking for a tank for a friend who rescued this oscar which was going to be put down in a fishstore. For the moment, it's in a 40 gallon along with two rainbow cichlids and a betta. Amazingly, over the past month that he's had it, it's incredibly docile and doesn't bother them. I can actually vouch for him on that one.

However, unsurprisingly, Tiny is growing up quickly. I've been looking for a tank for him and came across one that's 250L (66 gallons). I found one that's about 4' long, 2' across and 1' high. Do you think this would be enough?

I've heard so much contradictory information I don't know what to think.

He's only got the one and claims he wouldn't get another.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help with finding a new tank 1 month 1 day ago #70819

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 54
welcome to the forum

bare minimum is 55 gallons but 75 gallons handles the bioload better.

four feet in length is a good size tank to go with, as he gets older two fifty percent water changes a week will help keep the nitrates down in a 66 gallon. I had one in a 65 gallon but it was difficult to keep the bioload under control as he got older.

66 gallons is sufficient but 75 would be better

55 gallons of water is bioload as well as territory issues. Have any other questions we can help clear up please feel free to ask. This is the right forum to come too.

as for the rainbow fish and the betta, as Tiny gets older and bigger, he will become less tolerant of his smaller tank mates and will turn them into a snack later on.

Oscars reach between 12 to 14 inches in length, with the odd one reaching 16 inches in length
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Help with finding a new tank 1 month 1 day ago #70820

• Novafish
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks for the really quick reply.

We've done a fair bit of research about the fish and he knew when he got the little guy that there was no way a 40 gallon would be okay for very long.

So in your opinion, should we get this tank or wait for another bigger one?

Help with finding a new tank 1 month 1 day ago #70821

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 110
:welcome:

66g is better than the current situation. However, if buying another, you should follow cougar's advice and gravitate to a 75g or larger. A 90g has the same width/depth footprint as a 75g and therefore given preference when choosing between the two due to there being 20% more water volume for essentially the same price on the secondary market - at least around where I live. Those two tank sizes are minimum to keep a single healthy Oscar IMO with minimized stress.

How big is the rescued Oscar? Does your friend live in the US?

Help with finding a new tank 1 month 1 day ago #70822

• Novafish
  • Poecilia reticulata
Nah we're both in France where the second hand market is at best a struggle. I won't bore you with the details but secondhand to most people equates to pretty darn near retail.

It's more a case of what we can find without needing to take out a mortgage.

The little guy's only about 2 1/2' inches.

So far, he's being fed fish flakes and the occasional mussel/baby squid/shrimp bit (dead of course) and seems to be happy. What do you guys feed them.

Help with finding a new tank 1 month 21 hours ago #70823

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
Novafish wrote:
....What do you guys feed them.

Most on here will recommend a commercial pellet as the staple food. Many of the regular posters here believe NorthFin and/or NLS are the best pellets. This site has the best info on Oscar/fish nutrition on the Internet. There are many articles to help a person know how to select a quality food.

I feed my Oscar fresh shrimp from the supermarket & freeze dried krill - both soaked in Vitachem from Boyd's Enterprises. I also make my own gel food that I feed twice/ week. I'll supplement the shrimp, krill & gel food with orange slices, blueberries & raspberries.

Help with finding a new tank 1 month 15 hours ago #70825

• blackcougar
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 54
I used to feed Hikari Gold which at the time was considered a good pellet. These days. North Fin and NLS are considered the two top brands.

Mine ate alage wafers, not sure why but he did.

I aslo fed frozen blood worms and frozen krill. He loved the blood worms.

mango, lettuce., spinach, orange slices. different kinds of fruits and veggies.

2 and a half inches., explains why the betta and rainbow fish are still alive. Wait until he reaches five inches which doesn't take long. Time is ticking, either you'll have to remove the rainbow fish and the betta temporarily until Tiny is situated better or get the bigger tank. You have less then two months before those fish become dinner

the rule of thumb with Oscars is, if it fits in their mouths they will eat it. They love eating live fish.
65 gallon
2 yellow tail aceis
1 male cobue peacock
3 female cobue peacocks
1 male blood dragon
2 Synodontis lucipinnis

5.5 Gallon
Delta tail betta

The psych meter has gone from sane to insane.

Help with finding a new tank 1 month 10 hours ago #70826

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
blackcougar wrote:
.....You have less then two months before those fish become dinner

the rule of thumb with Oscars is, if it fits in their mouths they will eat it....

cougar is spot on correct....if she's not it's because Tiny is the exception compared to most Oscars. Oscars normally grow between 1-1.5 inches (2.5-3.75cm's) / month for the first 9 months of their life. They'll continue to grow after that but at a slower rate. You've got 1-3 months before the betta & rainbow fish disappear.

Help with finding a new tank 1 month 9 hours ago #70827

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 405
Hello fellow metrical System friend. The a Oscar can live in an 120 x 50 x 50 cm tank but that is really the pure minimal recommendationand only for the Oscar alone.
A better tank for an single fish would be for sure 120 x 60 x 60 cm or 150 x 50 x 50/150 x 60 x 60 cm. A 180 or 200 x 50 x 50 is also good.
Price depends on glass thickness. The most commen bigger standart tank would be the 200 x 50 x 50 500 Litr tank. The tank itself should cost you 250 Euros new.

The hight is not that important. 50 cm should be minimum, 60 is of course better but like that not that important. Tank deep at the other hand is important. The fish itself will become commenly between 32 and 36 cm, 30 cm at least and some beast Oscar also hits and tops the low 40 cm so the fish need space to turn.

I would say the minimal tank deep for big fish should be 60 cm while 50 are still ok. 40 cm at the other hand should not be a permanent solution.

If you can place an fairly big tank you can move the Filtration internal, this will save you electricity and money. For us Europens an important factor, in Northern America not so much. A smaller minimum recommendation tank need mostly extrenal filtration.

Your sidestock will be eaten soon. Like allready said your Oscar is still in Baby size only a couple of weeks old. Maybe 3 to 3.5 months. Depending on your water quality and food imput he will increase 2 to 2.5 cm per month. That beta if he don't bully that Oscar Baby to death via stress will be the first to dissapear.
Oscars are eating mashines, they are not aggressive compared to other cichlids more like middle on a scale but they are if it comes to food by far on the top if it comes to greed. They will eat anything that fits, a long term tank mate that stays much smaller and was acceptet like an female Convict lets say around to 7 or 8 cm will sometimes just dissapear.

For food. If possible look for Söll Organix on Amazon or Ebay. Most food here recommended is not that commen in the EU.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Help with finding a new tank 1 month 4 hours ago #70829

• Novafish
  • Poecilia reticulata
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm now looking at a 400 L (105 gallons) tank which I think would be better.

Concerning food, I'll see if we can order some of the American brands off of Ebay or something.

It was sort of an impulse thing getting Tiny. It's nice to finally have some help though as opposed to criticism.

I do have a question. I realize that as a general rule a fish will eat any other fish it can fit in its mouth. For this reason, my friend and I were planning on swapping some fish. I would give him some of my larger fish (my B.N. pleco and my rainbow shark) and he would give me his bettas and rainbow cichlids to avoid them becoming snacks. Does anyone know if these fish are compatible?

Thanks,
  • Page:
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds