Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oscar Fish Behavior

Oscar Fish Behavior 6 months 2 days ago #70502

• prania
  • Poecilia reticulata
once i got Lokie a bigger tank (75) gallon, he is like a new fish, He is going to be 8 or 9 this year. have to double check on that, but for the past 2 months he has been acting aggressive and i dont know what to do about it.

he takes the gravel from the bottom of the tank and clears the floor so he can look at himself. then he gets aggressive when i come near the tank, its the strangest thing. so i put the gravel back and hope he will calm down. then the next day he will eat a couple of pellets. He doesnt eat much either. Has anyone heard of this before?

thanks

BTW- thank all of you for your help,. Lokie is a very healthy fish (physically) no more hole in the head!!

Phyllis
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Oscar Fish Behavior 6 months 2 days ago #70508

• toom
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 419
Sounds like he/she don't like the new tank layout that he/she is not used to.
Are there hiding spots like a piece of bogwood the fish can hide himself, is the tank open only to the front glass or also to the sides? The reflection problem on the ground can be dealed with if you cover the bottom with thin slate Rock and cover it with sand. If he removes the Sand he only looks on a black stone.

How long is the fish in his new tank? Regulary it needs several weeks for a fish like Oscars to go back to normal and well being esteblished, a decreased appetite is a good sign for this.
I worked alot with big cichlids and other fish and it is nothing unusual that they don't eat for a couple of days after being shipped. Arowana and Snakeheads for example refuse often to eat for 1 to 2 months after being disturbed by getting shipped. Cichlids are most likley more robust in this case. Aggressive CA Cichilds for example often even eat after a coupe of hours or even try to dominate as the new guy the tank while more softer cichlids like Oscars need regulary more time. There are of course very dominat Astronotus but it's not the Norm.

If possible show a picture of your tank.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Oscar Fish Behavior 6 months 2 days ago #70510

• prania
  • Poecilia reticulata
i dont know how to upload a picture. Lokie has been in his new tank since last christmas. so 6 months. He recently started this clearing the stones on bottom of the tank. i have to cover it up so he will be nice and then let me feed him. maybe he is just playful? i have had him since he was a baby. he is big!! a foot long now. ]

Oscar Fish Behavior 6 months 2 days ago #70514

• ~rush~
  • Senior Mod
  • Thank you received: 477
Sounds like seeing his reflection in the bottom of the tank is getting him all fired up and ready to defend his territory.

Digging is completely normal for most big cichlids. They will dig up sand or gravel that really doesn't matter much. If you don't like him seeing his reflection in the bottom glass you can just spray paint the underside black. Won't do any harm to anything and then he shouldn't be able to see himself in the glass as much. But I would guess that he will just keep digging pits because well that's just what they do. :)

Here's a link to our picture posting tutorial. :) www.oscarfish.com/forum/photo-chat-forum...-tutuorial-2012.html

Welcome to the forum.
"My Country is the World, and my Religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine

Oscar Fish Behavior 6 months 1 day ago #70520

• FreshyFesh
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 231
He could be ticked off at something he sees outside the tank too. Something recently changed perhaps.
75g a tiger oscar and a green severum
55g community tank with plants
55g goldfish tank
29g community tank with plants
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds