Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Northfin and Boyds Vita Chem question

Northfin and Boyds Vita Chem question 2 weeks 1 day ago #70486

• Astro99
  • Poecilia reticulata
  • Thank you received: 1
I searched and couldn't really find a good answer to this, so please offer expertise if anyone has any... Ive been using Northfin 2mm Premium for my 6 month old O, (about 7"0) and my red spot severum (about 3"). I soak the pellets in Boyds Vita Chem for about 15 minutes prior to feeding. No problems there as they devour everything and look for more. They love it! But I bought a 250g package of 2mm, which is a good size for the sev - now - but seems too small for my O and I'm thinking they will both outgrow the 2mm pellets long before I use up the whole bag..

Rather than waste this great product and buy larger size pellets, I was wondering if I could soak pellets in the Boyds ahead of time and kind of roll them in my fingers to make larger size pellets for my O, then repackage them to feed later on? Hope this makes sense... Thanks for your input! Ive learned tons from this forum and my kids are thriving thanks to all of you!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Northfin and Boyds Vita Chem question 2 weeks 1 day ago #70487

• toom
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 399
You may can try it but I doubt it will work as you plan and the pellets will crumble even more or become big sticky chunks.
We need to stop talking about the people as if they were the crown of creation.

Northfin and Boyds Vita Chem question 2 weeks 1 day ago #70488

• Northstar5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Boyds is a great supplement, I have been using it for years. Have you noticed a cloud coming off the pellets as soon as they hit the water? That's your Boyds being wasted. Unless the fish grabs them quicker than instantly. I find pellets not very efficient for liquid vitamin. Not necessary to use at every feeding either. I use it on freeze dried treats, primarily FD Krill. Very absorbent, no waste, and twice a week on average. I also use Northfin almost exclusively as my pellet staple. Get your O some 6mm, run out the balance of 2mm on the Sev. My Sev, an adult mind you, handles the 6mm fine. As for your question though, try it. No harm no waste. Topic related, I have several species of fish over a foot long still eating NF 3mm Veg formula. Sure, they swallow it whole, but so what, it goes in fine. I have also run out batches of small pellets by stashing them inside chunks of raw Tilapia or shrimp. I get the veg pellets into my giant Jag this way. He never notices.
1600gals of South and Central American cichlids. Some with just a "wee" bit of attitude!

Northfin and Boyds Vita Chem question 2 weeks 17 hours ago #70489

• Tarheel96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 192
If you want to make larger pellets, you can put some of the 2mm pellets in a tough plastic zip-lock bag and take a pair of pliers and a hammer and pulverize the pellets into a powder. Then, add only enough water to the powder to make them moist enough so you can roll it to form larger pellets. I've used this method to add other ingredients like astaxanthin, tumuric, paprika, and ascorbic acid to the mix. The binders in the pellets (wheat) will cause them to harden as they dry. Let the new pellets dry on a paper plate or another absorbent surface and then put them in a zip-lock bag in the freezer for storage. I'd keep them in the freezer and take out a weeks to a few days worth at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: beretta96

Northfin and Boyds Vita Chem question 2 weeks 17 hours ago #70490

• adnan
  • Apistogramma agassizii
  • Thank you received: 34
Northfin is one of the best fish food. Before I used to feed with Northfin Cichlid Formula but unfortunately 3mm pellets wasn't great for my 11 inches oscar, he/she loves it but too small, a lot food fall behind the rocks and ornaments and of course that reflects to the quality of tank water. But I found a solution, so at the moment I use Northfin Jumbo Formula 4mm and Northfin Krill Gold 6mm, working perfect. Just sharing experience.

Northfin and Boyds Vita Chem question 1 week 6 days ago #70491

• tom
  • Thank you received: 230
My current staple for the O is Northfin 10 mm Carnivore Formula, plenty to chew on and he loves them.

As to the liquid multivitamins, I bought some insulin syringes and use them to inject the liquid into dried krill as a treat every few weeks.

:greet:

6 ft 220g - Tiger O, Chocolate, Rotkeil Severum
10 Siver Dollars

Northfin and Boyds Vita Chem question 1 week 6 days ago #70493

• beretta96
  • Aequidens rivulatus
  • Thank you received: 104
I deliver Boyds to my Oscar in two ways....
1. Marinate it into fresh fish (shrimp, tilapia etc..) for 24 hours and then drop it into the tank.
2. Put FD krill in a plastic picnic spoon. Place a few drops in the spoon and let it sit for 30-45 seconds until it's fully saturated and you can tell it won't absorb anymore.

Tarheel taught me the trick with the plastic spoon....it works great.
Moderators: sprout, ~rush~, screwsloose
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds